NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #1532
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Have you noticed how N.J. Brett posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasKawboy View Post
Anyone notice this thread has made it into triple digits.
...I hold him solely accountable for the # of posts.

Ps. Brett, how's that post count coming along for ya?
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #1533
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNbiker View Post
So I go out for a ride this afternoon; the weather was crappy this morning but cleared up really nice this afternoon. I'm nearly home from my ride and this old pice of shit Honda rice rocket with a carbon fiber hood (what a waste of money on that shitbox) is right on my ass. So I slow down (to the speed limit) and make a right hand turn. Those dicks (about 4 of them in the car) yell something like "get a real bike" as I complete the turn. They probably haven't even riden a tricycle let alone anything with two wheels and a motor. I restrained myself from turning around and following them into the plaza they went into. The last time someone pissed me off like that I followed them home and...well...sometime later turned the wiper blades on their Mercedes into a pretzel. I must be getting old as I just rode home this time...

Given your description of their car...I'd have replied..."I will when you get a REAL car!"

I've also heard some negative remarks because it's only a 250. And then I manage to keep up with them and sometimes get ahead when the road turns really twisty. (really changed the perspective/opinion of the one older guy I work with when we left work at the same time one day)

Guys who don't think the TU is a "real bike" don't have a clue what it means to be a real rider. (so FUCK THEM!)
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #1534
rivercreep
Banned

Oh noooooooo!

Now I'm posting like Brett does.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #1535
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
i was looking though the owners manual today, and there is a fuse called head fuse under the tank on the left side.
You can see it without taking the tank off, but you might have to take the tank off to get to it.
Its a single 10 amp fuse front left side of the gas tank.
that was it! blown fuse. thank you so so so much.

i'm still not there yet, though. the new light supposedly has both a high and low beam but i can only get the low to come on, regardless if it's connected as a low or high.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #1536
kazoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Oil weight for High Heat areas

I own a 09 and was considering changing to 20w - 50w for the summer. Its not so much for up here in N. Arizona (which regularly sits in the 90's) but I do travel to Phoenix about once or twice a month where the temps easily push over 100 degrees. In fact this season already registered 100 and it looks like another one in the next few days. Enough weather...

My speedometer indicates roughly 3 mph optimistic. I was surprised since most rides in the past were from 5 to as much as 10 mph over.

I get 75mph here at 5000 feet (gps speed) and slightly better than 80 mph (gps) down in phoenix. 165 lb stump of a rider.

Its a Great bike for a learner, second bike, short people, old people who tire easy, commuter, fuel misers, fun in the canyons, easy to scoot around on, great looking, etc... I've never owned a Suzuki before this, but this bike could make a believer out of me.

Any thoughts on the oil weight?

Thanks so much.

kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #1537
MisterMontlake
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looking for an '09 TU

All,
First post on this forum from a novice rider who's totally enfatuated. I've never owned a motorcycle before, but recently got the green light from my family to commute via motorcycle and the TU is perfect for my little side-street riding. I completed the MSF school and am looking for a used '09 TU to start out on.

A couple of questions. First, I'm 6'3", 225, but most reviews suggest that the TU is actually pretty comfortable for commuting and that I won't look silly. The small 125cc bikes used at the MSF school seemed fine for my purposes and I actually prefer to start on a smaller, less powerful bike. I welcome any input from those with actual experience though.

Second, any advice on how to find a decent used '09 TU250 would be much appreciated. Shelling out 4k for a new '09 that I'll likely scuff up and/or perhaps trade in after I become more proficient doesn't seem to make much sense. I could greatly use some advice on how to buy a used one of these without getting taken to the cleaners or buying a lemmon? It seems like $2,500 can put a guy into a quality used TU? Having never bought a used motorcycle before I'm a bit nervous about the whole process.

Anyway, feel free to PM me with any advice or leads on a used bike coming from an honorable owner/rider.

Thanks for helping me get into this sport. What a thrill.
MisterMontlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #1538
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
MisterMontlake, Welcome !! You might try "Cycle Trader" on the net. I found my red 2009 TU at Romney cycles in Romney West Virginia for $3300 new , others here have found theirs for about $3000 for a red 2009 TU new.

Good Luck and again Welcome!
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #1539
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,061
I am getting ready to put in 20w50 synthetic, likely mobil1 v twin oil.
The owners manual says you can use 20w50 from 14F up.
You can also run 15w40 or 15w50, lots of thumper guys run diesel oil, rotella synthetic or delvac from gallon jugs got at crapmart cheap.
I have run the diesel oil with no issues.
You can also mix and match, 1 quart of 10w40 and one of 20w50...

Its a great bike for everything except long interstate runs.
Plus I think it looks like a real motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
I own a 09 and was considering changing to 20w - 50w for the summer. Its not so much for up here in N. Arizona (which regularly sits in the 90's) but I do travel to Phoenix about once or twice a month where the temps easily push over 100 degrees. In fact this season already registered 100 and it looks like another one in the next few days. Enough weather...

My speedometer indicates roughly 3 mph optimistic. I was surprised since most rides in the past were from 5 to as much as 10 mph over.

I get 75mph here at 5000 feet (gps speed) and slightly better than 80 mph (gps) down in phoenix. 165 lb stump of a rider.

Its a Great bike for a learner, second bike, short people, old people who tire easy, commuter, fuel misers, fun in the canyons, easy to scoot around on, great looking, etc... I've never owned a Suzuki before this, but this bike could make a believer out of me.

Any thoughts on the oil weight?

Thanks so much.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #1540
NJ-Brett
Brett

It would help knowing where you are located.

http://www.cycletrader.com/Suzuki-Tu...0x&vrsn=hybrid

They seem to be holding their value.
I got a brand new 2009 for $3000.00 from Romney cycles in West Virginia.
They delivered it to South Jersey, many places will deliver a bike.

The TU is a very good pick for a first bike.
It might be on the small side for you, but its likely to be comfortable to ride even so.
For a taller rider, I would look at dual sports, something 250 or a dr350.
That way you can explore some dirt roads and trails, and do a lot of learning in the dirt where its a lot safer.
Nothing builds those automatic reactions like dirt riding.

Many locations have a lot of listings for low mile bikes cheap, and if you stick with the Japanese brands, they are trouble free for the most part.

Any year Yamaha xt250 and any of the Suzuki dual sports will hold up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMontlake View Post
All,
First post on this forum from a novice rider who's totally enfatuated. I've never owned a motorcycle before, but recently got the green light from my family to commute via motorcycle and the TU is perfect for my little side-street riding. I completed the MSF school and am looking for a used '09 TU to start out on.

A couple of questions. First, I'm 6'3", 225, but most reviews suggest that the TU is actually pretty comfortable for commuting and that I won't look silly. The small 125cc bikes used at the MSF school seemed fine for my purposes and I actually prefer to start on a smaller, less powerful bike. I welcome any input from those with actual experience though.

Second, any advice on how to find a decent used '09 TU250 would be much appreciated. Shelling out 4k for a new '09 that I'll likely scuff up and/or perhaps trade in after I become more proficient doesn't seem to make much sense. I could greatly use some advice on how to buy a used one of these without getting taken to the cleaners or buying a lemmon? It seems like $2,500 can put a guy into a quality used TU? Having never bought a used motorcycle before I'm a bit nervous about the whole process.

Anyway, feel free to PM me with any advice or leads on a used bike coming from an honorable owner/rider.

Thanks for helping me get into this sport. What a thrill.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #1541
NJ-Brett
Brett

Say what you will, no one takes someone with a windshield on their bike seriously anyway.

I like to hype the mighty TU, get lots of interest, so maybe someone would come out with a big bore kit or something....maybe the TU350 or TU400.

People just don't know what they are missing riding around on those big sleds
(often with windshields to boot!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
...I hold him solely accountable for the # of posts.

Ps. Brett, how's that post count coming along for ya?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #1542
NJ-Brett
Brett

Then you don't have it hooked up right.

You have ground, low beam, and high beam.
If you hook the ground up to say the low beam, and the bulb ground to the low beam feed, low beam will work, but not the high beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh uh no way View Post
that was it! blown fuse. thank you so so so much.

i'm still not there yet, though. the new light supposedly has both a high and low beam but i can only get the low to come on, regardless if it's connected as a low or high.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #1543
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Oddometer: 645
i don't understand how that can be. the green wire on the headlight is grounded to the shell, and that's connected to the black wire on the bike.

i appreciate the help with this and i'm sorry for cluttering up the thread.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1544
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Say what you will, no one takes someone with a windshield on their bike seriously anyway.
That's a good thing as Im NEVER serious!
(and I see that post count is coming along nicely.)

B.T.W. How's that top-end break in coming along?
Any more issues to report?

F.W.I.W. Just put on the GZ250 rear sprocket (along with my 16tooth front) and can't wait to see how she gets along with the even taller gearing tomorrow.
You know, for the life of me...I'll never figure out WHY Mfg.'s don't put centerstands on bikes for maint. purposes.

It would go so nicely with my windshield!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #1545
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh uh no way View Post
i don't understand how that can be. the green wire on the headlight is grounded to the shell, and that's connected to the black wire on the bike.

i appreciate the help with this and i'm sorry for cluttering up the thread.
I hate to state the obvious but...have you used an ohm meter to test continuity between the headlamp leads and the bulbs pins in the socket?
It could be something stupid like a bad solder join that you can't see that's not making contact.