ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #1561
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,263
You wont need the warranty, that you can be sure of.
It also would not void the warranty to change sprockets any more then it would to change tires.
I cant imagine riding around with the stock gearing.
That would take a lot of the fun out of riding the bike.



Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmeal View Post
http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=317

This may be an interesting read for those of thinking of doing the 16T.

I've decided to leave it stock - I want to keep everything stock mechanically during the warranty period.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #1562
CDNbiker
Lost in Space
 
CDNbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The oxy sensor does nothing at idle, so a memjet wont do anything for the idle.
Did you turn the idle speed up a bit?

There are two settings, the throttle STOP screw, and the idle speed screw.
The TU has two throttles, one cable operated, and one the ecu opens, and the one the cable opens has a throttle position sensor that tells the ecu what you are doing with the throttle.
The ecu operated throttle also has a throttle position sensor to tell the ecu where that throttle is at open wise.
There is also a bypass port (the big flat screw) that lets air past the ecu operated throttle.
The ecu operated throttle has that ramp on it that pushes open the cable operated throttle to control the fast (cold) idle speed.
I don't ever coast in neutral or with the clutch in, that is not good for the motor, its better to leave the clutch out and let engine vacuum pull oil up to the top end.
Try turning the big flat screw clockwise a bit till the idle speed goes up a bit and see if it stops stalling.
I'll give that a try - thanks for the tip
__________________
"The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime" - Pink Floyd
CDNbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #1563
ontoptherock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Greater Philadelphia Area
Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
And, if any of you guys are interested....I'm off the weekend of the 7th-8th if you want to get a 250 group ride going. Actually on vacation the entire week leading up to that as well so...

Girlfriend is off to California for the week and my plans are, fishing, riding, fishing, riding...you get the idea.(oops! left out internet porn)
You would be off that weekend, thats when i will be on the other side of the state...
__________________
09 Suzuki TU250X - First motorcycle, loving the retro
06 Honda CB 900 - Second motorcycle, loving the exhilaration of twisting the throttle!
ontoptherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #1564
rivercreep
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania (Reading)
Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontoptherock View Post
You would be off that weekend, thats when i will be on the other side of the state...
Figures! FREAKING RETAIL!!!!

Anyway, no stalling problems here (I don't do the coast thing though) and I'm giving the bike 10 in the find neutral dept.
She's at a tick under 2,000 miles now and I'm running Suzuki synthetic 10-40. (really made a difference)

It's 6:30 now (been up since 5 drinking coffee) and after a quick waxing, I'll be off for my added GZ250 rear sprocket test run.

Learned something yesterday while washing her...
If you go down a road that's been scraped in preperation for repaving, that dust that gets kicked up turns into melted tar when it gets on your hot exhaust. Got 80% off while giving her a bath and I'll try to get more off after my ride while the pipes are still hot but = Holy Shit! does that stuff make a mess. (I hate chrome and wish everything was blacked out!)

Funny how the old DR always looked better when dirty! (made sense = she was a dirt bike!)

Hey nuhuh...how trashed was that stock headlamp?

I've been working with oomoo 30 making fishing lure molds for pouring plastics and was wondering if you could make a mold with your old headlamp, cast it in fiberglass and paint one up. Hell, there's even plastic resing out there that you might be able to use to repair the original housing.
Keep us posted! I feel for you dude!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #1565
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: philadelphia
Oddometer: 645
bent, cracked, gashed, no glass. it's toast. the headlight and the handlebars took most of the impact, it seems. a couple turn signal stalks were bent but i was able to strong-arm them back into place with vise grips. aside from that, it's just scratches all over the place and a few [new] dents in the tank.

a few - two or three - rear spokes are bent. not sure what to do about that.

is the brake pedal supposed to rest against the muffler when it's not engaged? that doesn't seem right... maybe that got bent too.

i noticed that the brake light won't go off after i've released the rear brake. it only turns off after i slam on the pedal and release real quick. i'll have to look into that too.
__________________
'75 honda CB200t
'09 suzuki TU250x
nuh uh no way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #1566
Alex130
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett the nerd View Post
Not a criticism of the OP, but when the hell did just doing a handlebar swap make something a cafe racer? Haha. Good price though.

First post here. I actually went down to DC a week and half ago and bought this TU. Really nice guy and a great deal. As for the handlebars, they look good but get uncomfortable after riding for an hour or so. He gave me the stock ones and i'm having them switched out to stock.

Love my TU250. Can't wait to get it back from the dealer, had to have the 600 mile service done. I will probably put the 16 tooth front sprocket on since i'm on the lighter side at 155 lb.

Alex

Edit: I'm also in the Philly area, so we'll all have to meet up!

Alex130 screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 06:48 AM
Alex130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #1567
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: philadelphia
Oddometer: 645
damn! delaware valley is loving this bike
__________________
'75 honda CB200t
'09 suzuki TU250x
nuh uh no way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #1568
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,263
Hey, great buy, great bike!
You must at least get the 16 tooth, and the 41 in the back makes it even better!



One of the (very many) great things about the TU is that you don't need to EVER take it to the dealer.
You can do all the service work yourself saving a LOT of time and money.

To swap handlebars, you need a 12 mm wrench and a screwdriver, and 5 minutes of your time.

Besides saving lots of money, you never have to wait for something simple to be done, just do it.

Be sure to check everything when you pick the bike up.
People THINK the shop techs are good, and maybe some are, but most are just making a living and get distracted and forget to tighten things up and so on.
Check the oil level.
Check the drain plug is tight.
Check the handlebar is tight.
Check the cables are routed right.

I bet 90% of shops doing the service just change the oil and filter and LOOK at the air filter, and check the valves (not adjust them). Thats it.

Enjoy the bike!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex130 View Post
First post here. I actually went down to DC a week and half ago and bought this TU. Really nice guy and a great deal. As for the handlebars, they look good but get uncomfortable after riding for an hour or so. He gave me the stock ones and i'm having them switched out to stock.

Love my TU250. Can't wait to get it back from the dealer, had to have the 600 mile service done. I will probably put the 16 tooth front sprocket on since i'm on the lighter side at 155 lb.

Alex

Edit: I'm also in the Philly area, so we'll all have to meet up!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #1569
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Located in Moncure, NC
Oddometer: 703
I might have to test the 16 tooth for a fatty...not sure I can handle the loss of torque :)

Its on order, but I havent thought about replacing the rear sprocket yet.

Is there any reason to have the dealer do the 600 vs doing it myself?
__________________
2007 Yamaha TW200
BigCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #1570
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,263
The 16 tooth is not going to be anything but an improvement, trust me.
I have no problem running the 16 tooth, and the 41 rear sprocket, two up, with 350 pounds on the bike (me and the wife).
The TU is not like most other bikes, it seems to have very little of a power band, instead of building power (at least a little) as you rev an engine up, the TU just flattens out, it does not fall off, but it does not build, so reving the guts out does nothing but annoy.

16-41 seems close to perfect to me.
If I could get a little more power out of the motor, a 16-39 might be real nice.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #1571
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: philadelphia
Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
I might have to test the 16 tooth for a fatty...not sure I can handle the loss of torque :)

Its on order, but I havent thought about replacing the rear sprocket yet.

Is there any reason to have the dealer do the 600 vs doing it myself?
if you're not super experienced like Brett, you should take the bike to a shop (preferably NOT a dealer for reasons he mentioned) for either the first or second service. At 600 I changed my oil and filter and that's it. At 1000 I took it to a good shop that i trust to get the valves checked out and have the bike looked over in general. It was absolutely fine. At 3000 I did another oil and filter change at home, this time replacing the o-rings and such.

at 4700 i wrecked . after i'm finished with the new headlight and a couple other problems i recently noticed i'll be taking the bike to a shop to get looked over.

everyone has a different level of experience. your comfort zone might not match up with someone else's. if you don't feel comfortable with a certain aspect of maintenance, that's what shops are for.
__________________
'75 honda CB200t
'09 suzuki TU250x
nuh uh no way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #1572
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,263
Oh, as far as the dealer service, there is no reason to have them do it.
We can help with any questions or issues you have.

On my bike, there was very little that needed to be done.
You can check all the things listed in the manual, but everything on my bike was fine, and has been fine.
No loose stuff, valves ok, etc.
Its really just been oil and filter changes.
Only the sprocket cover bolts were on the loose side, and the front speedo cable connection was loose, they are the only issues I found on the bike.

There are things I always check, chain tension, clutch and throttle cable slack, oil level.
I did not wait till 600 miles to check things were tight (don't forget the battery terminals) or change the oil.
I did the 600 mile service at 50 miles, and at 600 miles, and at 1200 miles, as I like spending quality time with the bike. I am not a big fan of watching TV.

Being who I am, I had half the motor apart checking stuff out.
Its REALLY well made!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #1573
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,263
You know, you don't have to replace O rings till they get hard, usually many years.
I have had the motor apart a few times, and many oil changes and checks, and have not replaced an O ring yet.

I also had the alt side cover off twice with the original gasket still on there, the clutch side was replaced after the 2nd time when I had the clutch out.
The FIRST time I had the top and off the motor, I reused the gaskets, even the head gasket with no leaks at all.
The motors are made so well, you almost don't need gaskets!
Just make sure both surfaces are very clean and reuse the O rings.




Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh uh no way View Post
if you're not super experienced like Brett, you should take the bike to a shop (preferably NOT a dealer for reasons he mentioned) for either the first or second service. At 600 I changed my oil and filter and that's it. At 1000 I took it to a good shop that i trust to get the valves checked out and have the bike looked over in general. It was absolutely fine. At 3000 I did another oil and filter change at home, this time replacing the o-rings and such.

at 4700 i wrecked . after i'm finished with the new headlight and a couple other problems i recently noticed i'll be taking the bike to a shop to get looked over.

everyone has a different level of experience. your comfort zone might not match up with someone else's. if you don't feel comfortable with a certain aspect of maintenance, that's what shops are for.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #1574
rivercreep
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania (Reading)
Oddometer: 3,243
Question W.T.F.!? Suzuki!

Ok, just got back home from a nice 3 hour tour along the Schuylkill from Reading up to Auburn Dam. (I'm called Rivercreep for a reason)
All I can say is WOW! Why the heck didn't Suzuki give this thing this gearing in the first place? (16 tooth front and the GZ250 rear sprocket with 41 teeth)
She now likes to cruise at 60mph without breathing really hard and, although I do find I'm downshifting for more hills than before; she doesn't sound like she's revving the crap out of herself and getting ready to explode...she torques it now.
I was even able to pass a Rig going up hill where I NEVER would have chanced it before. Acceleration has improved.
I have to agree with Brett, she's as close to optimum in gearing now as she can be.
F.W.I.W. I weigh 250 lbs and have a large shield on my bike.

All I can say is that Suzuki really screwed up the gearing for this little girl out of the box. She's a much better open road bike now and is lacking nothing in the twisties.
Brett, thanks for the inspiration.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #1575
Alex130
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 8
Thanks for your advice. I had intended on taking it to a local shop to have the 600 mile done (at 1200 miles btw), but my dad said he prefers if I take it to the dealer to 'benchmark it'.

As for having them change the handlebars, that was def a mistake. I wish I had read through this forum first, but i was in a rush to get it serviced/inspected etc and I also don't have any indoor room to work and would have to do any work on the street.

I'll order the 16 tooth and eventuall that nice retro gel seat.

We'll all have to get together and be like a little TU gang.

Nuh Oh no way, do you like the clubman bars like that? They started to hurt my hand a lot on long rides since I was leaning on them. They did look very good though.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Hey, great buy, great bike!
You must at least get the 16 tooth, and the 41 in the back makes it even better!



One of the (very many) great things about the TU is that you don't need to EVER take it to the dealer.
You can do all the service work yourself saving a LOT of time and money.

To swap handlebars, you need a 12 mm wrench and a screwdriver, and 5 minutes of your time.

Besides saving lots of money, you never have to wait for something simple to be done, just do it.

Be sure to check everything when you pick the bike up.
People THINK the shop techs are good, and maybe some are, but most are just making a living and get distracted and forget to tighten things up and so on.
Check the oil level.
Check the drain plug is tight.
Check the handlebar is tight.
Check the cables are routed right.

I bet 90% of shops doing the service just change the oil and filter and LOOK at the air filter, and check the valves (not adjust them). Thats it.

Enjoy the bike!
Alex130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014