Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #1576
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The 16 tooth is not going to be anything but an improvement, trust me.
I have no problem running the 16 tooth, and the 41 rear sprocket, two up, with 350 pounds on the bike (me and the wife).
The TU is not like most other bikes, it seems to have very little of a power band, instead of building power (at least a little) as you rev an engine up, the TU just flattens out, it does not fall off, but it does not build, so reving the guts out does nothing but annoy.

16-41 seems close to perfect to me.
If I could get a little more power out of the motor, a 16-39 might be real nice.
Whats the stock rear, 43? Whats the proper part to order for the 41?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #1577
Hyme91
New Guy

Oddometer: 26
This is my first bike and I'm having a blast tinkering around with it.

Questions: What brand/weight of oil are you using? Filter brand? Any recommendations on the best place to buy?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #1578
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex130 View Post
Nuh Oh no way, do you like the clubman bars like that? They started to hurt my hand a lot on long rides since I was leaning on them. They did look very good though.

Alex
i've only had 5 minutes of riding time so i'm not sure yet but i did spend a good few hours adjusting them. that's the key right there. any type of bar will hurt you if it isn't a good fit for your posture.

i definitely prefer these new bars that are adjusted for me by me over the stock bars from the factory. pulling the clutch feels completely effortless and the new stance makes the bike feel a hundred pounds lighter.

with the stock bars, my throttle hand only got tired after long periods of 70+ mph cruising on highways. luckily i'm usually in city traffic. we'll see what happens with the new bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyme91 View Post
This is my first bike and I'm having a blast tinkering around with it.

Questions: What brand/weight of oil are you using? Filter brand? Any recommendations on the best place to buy?
i've been using the plain ol' castrol 4 stroke oil. filters and other OEM stuff i get from Cheap Cycle Parts. they've got the best prices i've found and since they're in the midwest they have pretty good ship times to any part of the country. (i know i plug them a lot but they really are a good business. i do NOT work for them)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #1579
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
For the rear, I got mine from bikebandit.com and just ordered the one for the GZ250 2009 model. Yes! 43 for TU 41 for GZ.
For my 16 tooth, I searched e-bay for a 16 tooth front GZ250 sprocket.

No part #'s as I'm not good at keeping recepits.

What I just found perculiar about the TU's engine is that it's a short stroke design (wider bore vs stroke) but it acts more like my old 91 long stroke DR did in how it makes torque down low and likes to be lugged (within reason)

rivercreep screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 11:21 AM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #1580
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,097
You order a stock Suzuki gz250 sprocket.
The GZ250 is almost the same bike, same basic motor but with a carb and 4 valves, makes about 4 more hp and makes it higher in the rpm range.
The bottom end of the motor is the same, frame is close, sprockets are the same but with the 15 tooth on the front, 41 on the rear stock.
Not sure about tire/wheel sizes, but the gz250 does not seem to respond to the sprocket change as well as the TU because it already has the 41 on the back, and the motor likes to sing up high where the power is.
Some like it, some don't, where everyone seems to like the 16 tooth on the TU, as that would get it close to the stock GZ.
Roughly speaking, one tooth on the front sprocket equals about 3 off the back sprocket.
My bike LOVES 16-41.

Oil and filters....I got a bunch of filters from the local dealers, Suzuki filters.
Castrol does not have a good reputation. It used to be very good, but they removed a lot of the additives a while ago and it was very poor oil.
There are places that test oil and Castrol was rated very poor.
That was a while ago, and I ran it in my Daytona and got a lot of wear.
Valvoline tested a lot better, so that is what I use when I run dino oil.
They also used to make a 'not street legal' oil that had low detergent and loads of additives that I used to run in the Daytona, was great for that bike.
No wear that I could find.
It was not street legal because it ruined catalytic converters (the additives).

I grew up with castrol oil and fram filters, both are the worst stuff out there now. (Fram got bought)

You can not do better then Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
It always tests up at the top, and you can leave it in longer, the Harley guys usually get a 10 to 20 F drop in oil temps running it.

In my sportster, the primary/trans/clutch was seperate from the engine oil, and guys ran various lubes, from the Harley stuff, Mobil 1 v twin oil, bell ray primary lube, and 75w90 gear lube (Mobil 1).
In my bike, the Harley stuff was worse, very noisy, klunky shifting, next was the Bell Ray stuff, not bad, then the v twin oil (very nice).
I never tried the gear lube.
The Mobil one synthetic seems to work very well in everything.
Some guys ran mobil 1 synthetic car oil as its very close and cheaper.
Many thumper guys run the delvac or rotilla synthetic Diesel oil.

I would run anything except no name brand or castrol oil, and it can not say energy conserving, those additives can screw up clutches.

If you change it when its supposed to be changed, almost any oil is likely fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #1581
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I'll be putting in Mobil1 20w-50 this weekend, now that temps in the valley are consistently above 90F--By the end of my commute I'm getting some odd behavior due to the heat and thinning oil.
Still need to put new tires on, getting the pegs to drag means the rear tire has very little grip.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #1582
NJ-Brett
Brett

How do you figure?
Dragging pegs usually indicates the tires stick well enough to lean it over that much.
The stock tires are no good except maybe for lasting a long time, but the TU allows some hard riding even so.

I have had some good rides in the twisty's but i don't think I ever came close to rubbing a peg.

I have ground the harley hard parts, did the pegs up on the 2005 Bonneville, and the pegs on the 1969 Daytona (very high pegs!), but not the TU.

I cant say I pushed the edge on the TU because I know the tires are not sticky....you can tell that during hard braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
I'll be putting in Mobil1 20w-50 this weekend, now that temps in the valley are consistently above 90F--By the end of my commute I'm getting some odd behavior due to the heat and thinning oil.
Still need to put new tires on, getting the pegs to drag means the rear tire has very little grip.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #1583
goatmeal
Push button go boom

Oddometer: 190
Has everyone that has done the 16T loved it on the TU? Seems everyone that has done it has given the thumbs up but was wondering if anyone preferred the 15T. I saw on the GZ board many folks preferring the 15T.

Still debating this one.

Started the turn signal relocating - have one side done - can post pics if anyone is interested. Mounting on the license frame bracket where the reflector was.
goatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #1584
NJ-Brett
Brett

Why not just try it, its not expensive and you can switch between them quickly.

Some gz riders don't like them because the gz is geared taller stock, and the engine makes most of its power up high, so it cant pull 5th gear to get into the power band.
A stock gz is geared about the same as a tu with a 16 tooth sprocket....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmeal View Post
Has everyone that has done the 16T loved it on the TU? Seems everyone that has done it has given the thumbs up but was wondering if anyone preferred the 15T. I saw on the GZ board many folks preferring the 15T.

Still debating this one.

Started the turn signal relocating - have one side done - can post pics if anyone is interested. Mounting on the license frame bracket where the reflector was.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #1585
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
How do you figure?
Dragging pegs usually indicates the tires stick well enough to lean it over that much.
The stock tires are no good except maybe for lasting a long time, but the TU allows some hard riding even so.

I have had some good rides in the twisty's but i don't think I ever came close to rubbing a peg.

I have ground the harley hard parts, did the pegs up on the 2005 Bonneville, and the pegs on the 1969 Daytona (very high pegs!), but not the TU.

I cant say I pushed the edge on the TU because I know the tires are not sticky....you can tell that during hard braking.
That's my point, just made in a cheeky way--To touch the pegs, the rear tire is REALLY moving around a lot, and quite scary really, but the bike is so flickable it just begs to be tossed into curves quickly. I'm certain the chassis can handle better tires.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #1586
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmeal View Post

Still debating this one.

Pics please!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #1587
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Oddometer: 645

the bike is still fucked up, but it's good enough to ride. i don't have to take fucking public transportation to work anymore!

the headlight is absolute PRC-made crap. the bulb already died and it arrived with a cracked shell and mismatched mounting bolts. i have it jury rigged with the bolts it came with, a zip tie, electrical tape covering the gap between the shell and the rim, and electrical tape holding a stray piece of plastic over cable routing hole in case it rains today.

the ebay seller i bought the light from offered a full refund and i don't have to return the light, so that's pretty good. ordered a bigger and slightly nicer one from a different seller and it should arrive before the end of the week.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #1588
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh uh no way View Post

the bike is still fucked up, but it's good enough to ride. i don't have to take fucking public transportation to work anymore!

the headlight is absolute PRC-made crap. the bulb already died and it arrived with a cracked shell and mismatched mounting bolts. i have it jury rigged with the bolts it came with, a zip tie, electrical tape covering the gap between the shell and the rim, and electrical tape holding a stray piece of plastic over cable routing hole in case it rains today.

the ebay seller i bought the light from offered a full refund and i don't have to return the light, so that's pretty good. ordered a bigger and slightly nicer one from a different seller and it should arrive before the end of the week.

Awsome!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #1589
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Looks great with the clubman bars

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #1590
Alex130
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Where did you get the clubman bars?

I think i have the same ones installed, but they are at a different angle which I think is what is making the my wrists hurt.

Hopefully I get my bike back tomorrow!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh uh no way View Post

Alex130 is offline   Reply With Quote