Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #1591
goatmeal
Push button go boom

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
Pics please!

Using the stock license plate bracket I drilled out the hole for the reflector to match the size of the screw/nut for the turns. I still need to do the wiring - I'm going to route it along with the wiring for the brake light - down and under the fender.

This is my official "before" photo. I know most folks prefer the '09 color but I always love black/grey bikes and I prefer the '11 color. I actually thought it was a tad purple before I saw it in person.
goatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #1592
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
Gel Seat

Ordered the Gel Seat tonight. Will post some pics when it arrives and I put it on.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #1593
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmeal View Post

Using the stock license plate bracket I drilled out the hole for the reflector to match the size of the screw/nut for the turns. I still need to do the wiring - I'm going to route it along with the wiring for the brake light - down and under the fender.

This is my official "before" photo. I know most folks prefer the '09 color but I always love black/grey bikes and I prefer the '11 color. I actually thought it was a tad purple before I saw it in person.
I like both colors! Hey, what do you plan to do with the old location, just remove the brackets?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #1594
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNbiker View Post
Ordered the Gel Seat tonight. Will post some pics when it arrives and I put it on.
Great, its on my list. It looks like it might give the driver more room to move around.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #1595
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I don't plan on moving my turn signals, but if I did, I think just moving them to where the reflectors are has them stick out too far.
Maybe you could remove the black pieces to move them in a little?

I really need to get rid of my Sportster so I can get some goodies for my TU, a tail bag and a power commander and dyno tune (likely a total waste of money).
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #1596
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

We should start lobbying some of the aftermarket cylinder companies for a 350cc upgrade...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #1597
NJ-Brett
Brett

The problem with that is the FI system.
You might be able to get it to work with a power commander, but the head would limit the power a lot, only two smallish valves, and the throttle body may be too small for a 350....

I wonder if a GZ250 motor would bolt in.
The head is different and might foul the gas tank.
The intake may or may not bolt up, the FI system would need a power commander which might be able to get the mixture right.
I think the GZ makes 4 more HP but the power band might be different and not as nice as the TU.
I don't see any way to get much more out of the TU.
Opening up the exhaust and intake (a little), and/or using a better air filter (its really thick), and a dyno tune with the power commander might get a little bit more.
That is the route I will eventually try, its reversible....

The GZ 250 with 4 valves has a different cam, likely a different ignition timing map, and may or may not work with the TU FI system.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #1598
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Ya I wouldnt want to mess up what its got going for it already.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #1599
NJ-Brett
Brett

That is why I like reversible mods.
You can drill the exhaust, then plug it up, you can change air filters (if you can find anything that fits), open up the intake a bit and buy the stock plastic cover to go back.
You could get a GZ250 motor from a wreck and see if it could be made to fit, if not, use it for spare parts.
I can not think of anything you could not reverse.
Any changes would need a power commander and a dyno tune, unless the auto tune they sell works, it might have a bigger oxy sensor which would require welding on the exhaust, that is out for me....

I can't see much payoff for any of that, but I like to play with stuff so I might try some things and see what happens.
The intake looks really restrictive, big thick foam filter, small opening to the air box, screen after the filter, and a somewhat restricted exhaust.
It might be nice if you could get it to build a little more power above where it levels off (about 7500 rpm).
Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #1600
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

If you dyno, it would be interesting to see your charts with the changed up sprockets your running.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #1601
NJ-Brett
Brett

That should not change anything.
Dyno runs just measure power and mixture at various rpm's.

Quote:
If you dyno, it would be interesting to see your charts with the changed up sprockets your running.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #1602
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oh ya, engine hp/torque only
Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #1603
goatmeal
Push button go boom

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
I like both colors! Hey, what do you plan to do with the old location, just remove the brackets?
Yes - basically I snipped the wires at the old location and removed the brackets and put them in my "bits and pieces" box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I don't plan on moving my turn signals, but if I did, I think just moving them to where the reflectors are has them stick out too far.
Maybe you could remove the black pieces to move them in a little?
Negative. The hard black rubber part has a perpendicular tab which is used to screw into the housing. The other side gives the hollow threaded piece. Its a separate piece than the housing but they work together. Edit: this link should show what I mean:
http://cdn.cheapcycleparts.com/image...0X-2009_26.png

I wanted the rears to match the fronts - it seems you would need to use smaller turns for them to not stick out so far.I like them stock - yes they are huge (so is the brake light) but that gives good visiblity which I like - plus to me they look a bit retro.

Finished the turn signal relocation job tonight. (I want to install side cases so this was a pre-requisite for that job) I probably had over 3 hours into the job - but I work really slowly and methodically. Spent some time routing the wiring through along with the brake wiring under the fender and zip-tying them out of the way. I'll post another pic later on.

I've had old VWs and wrenched like crazy on them and always thought I would get an old boxer BMW. But for my first bike I wanted it to work perfect and have great disc brakes etc. This motorcycle is the only one out there that fit the bill for me - I wanted a "standard" bike - I absolutely did not want a sport bike or cruiser. I wanted fuel injection and good fuel economy. I would have liked something more powerful but that just doesn't jive with MPG.

This bike is really put together well. Everything is just designed so well and put together equally as well. I'm so glad I went with this bike.

goatmeal screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 07:53 PM
goatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #1604
Chaplain
Circuit Rider

Oddometer: 217
On again, off again

It has been years since I was on a bike. (Well, OK, I ran all over Bermuda on a scooter, and that was just fun, and it was ‘native’ transportation, but still, that was seven years ago.) It’s been 25 years since I was on a bike to go somewhere I had to be. Now that the kids are mostly grown, and mostly our of the house....it is time. I read. I studied. I shopped some. I remember (vaguely) what a pain the maintenance was. One time the RD125 hiccuped after a tune up. My life did not pass before my eyes, but in a few milliseconds I re-visualized the complete disassembly and reassembly of the whole ignition system with vivid clarity. Things have changed since then.

My wife saw me looking at bikes on the web. First time she was on a bike (well sort of) was with me, two up on a scooter in Bermuda. Vacation was fun. We were on two wheels. Romantic trip, fun, vacation, two wheels - it was all coming together. I showed her some pictures of TU250's. Ohh! the red one is pretty.

Let’s see: light weight, fuel injection, classic looks, fuel injection, standard configuration so you can stand on the pegs (sometimes the pavement just runs out), fuel injection, wife thinks the red one is pretty, and, did I mention, it has fuel injection! Got a red one (and I hear red one’s go faster;).

Got the bike, got the gear: mesh jacket, mesh pants, adequate boots, gloves, modular helmet. Went to the DMV, got the permit. Could not wait the 30 days to take the test. Went to the MSF course. License, insurance, tags, taxes, ATGATT. You know, you really have to want to do this starting from zero.

I came home one day and put all the gear on. I took the cover off the bike. I turned the ignition on. The pump whirred a few seconds, the FI light went off. One press of the starter and the headlight went off, the engine came on, the headlight came on. A question comes to mind: what have I done? Do I really want to do this? Is this really a good thing to do? On again, off again. I’ve been off a bike for 25 years. Do I want to get on again? Squeeze the clutch, press the gear lever down, the green neutral light goes off. Ease out the clutch, roll on a little throttle, off we go. Stop at the corner, left turn, up through the gears, first curve coming up, lean the bike though...oh yeah! We’re on again - this is a good thing.
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #1605
NJ-Brett
Brett

Welcome to the TU world.
Great choice for a lot of reasons.
Its a VERY easy bike to ride.

I have been riding steady for at least 37 years, all sorts of bikes, and my pick is also the (red) tu250.
I have a nice newer 1200 sportster that has not moved since I got the TU months ago. I have no interest in it.

Glad I got my licence when I did, all you needed was a helmet, a bike, and to go up the street and turn around. If you did not fall over, you passed.

You will want a 16 tooth front sprocket, it makes the bike much nicer to ride above 45 mph.
The TU IS very well made, everything I look at is top quality.
It seems well above other Suzuki's.

I have had my TU for a while, and still cant wait till the next ride.
A day without a ride is a waste!