Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #166
J T
Scooter Refugee

Oddometer: 23
The US version is fuel injected and has a fuel filter in the tank on the fuel pump inlet. There is no fuel filter external to the tank. Another similar carbed bike, the GZ250, has no fuel filter, but a few people have added one.

The tail light is powered directly from the ignition switch, not from the brights. I can't imagine that would be normal on any bike.

My service manual has a wiring diagram. It's too big to scan but if you have a specific question I'd be happy to check it out, although it may not necessarily be the same as yours.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #167
lotuseater
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the offer, maybe if there is a single page that gives the wiring diagram for the tail and or brake lights and if it is not too much trouble you could send that my way. I am just trying to figure out why the tail light comes on when the brights go on. Everything else works (including the brights) normally. I may just take it in and get the whole bike re-wired. It is a bit of a disaster and some of the wires don't line up with like colours anymore so it is really hard to trouble shoot. This being Thailand I imagine that I could have the bike re-wired for something like thirty bucks.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #168
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Any updates?

I realize it's been a rough winter for many but does anyone have any updates on their experience with the TU?

Likes/dislikes/problems, etc...

Ned
EdM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #169
J T
Scooter Refugee

I've been riding mine as often as the weather allows. 927.4 miles as of this afternoon. No real problems, just a couple of minor niggles and personal preference things.

The mirrors don't stick out far enough. Easily solved with a set of KoubaLink two inch mirror extenders.

No storage and no wind protection. I knew this before I bought it (it is a naked bike after all), so to make the bike practical for commuting, I added an Emgo travel trunk and a Givi screen.

Shifting was a little rough at first. By about 500 miles it was starting to smooth out. When I changed the oil at 600 miles, I put Mobil 1 Racing 4T in it and the shifting and clutch engagement smoothed out tremendously.

No tach. I've got a tach that I'll be installing next time I pull the gas tank.

Accessories are few and far between in the U.S. Ordering from Japan is required for now, and that ain't cheap.

It is not a freeway bike, but my commute is on major surface streets, so it fits that role almost perfectly. All in all, I'm extremely happy with the bike.

Average gas mileage for me is 72.75 MPG. (I don't ride daintily)
Old 03-20-2010, 03:00 AM   #170
RoberTx
Blind man ridin'

Oddometer: 276
I've some retro scrambler customs based on the TU250 on Japanese websites that were outstanding.
RoberTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #171
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberTx
I've some retro scrambler customs based on the TU250 on Japanese websites that were outstanding.
Ya can't tease us like that without a link
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #172
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

For J.T.

John:

Been away for a few days and just read your informative post.

While I realize - as you point out - theTU is not intended to be a freeway bike have you had the occasion when you needed to ride at 65-70mph for a short period? Did the bike feel o.k. at those speeds?

It would be rare for me to need to go that fast but am curious if you feel the bike can handle it.

Thank you.

Ned
Old 03-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #173
J T
Scooter Refugee

The bike does 65 MPH no problem (feels very stable). I get up to that speed on about a 2 mile section of freeway on my ride home.

It is quite buzzy to the butt at that speed.

Edit to add: 80MPH (indicated) is fine too. :-)

J T screwed with this post 03-25-2010 at 08:41 PM
J T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #174
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you John.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #175
moonmj
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Ordering from Japan

Hi all,
I got a TU250 for Valentines day, and have been looking at the links for Japanese sites. I want to order a different seat (black textured with white pipping as seen on wibebike site), but I am scared to spend the $$ and find out that even though it says it will fit the comparable model in Japan, I'm not sure it will fit the TU 250x. Sorry so winded, but anyone out there order a different seat? And if so, where, how much, etc. Thanks!
moonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #176
J T
Scooter Refugee

If it fits the Japanese ST250, it will fit the US TU250X.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #177
J T
Scooter Refugee

And the latest addition to the TU250X is...

Stebel Nautilus Compact horn.

Wakey, wakey, morning rush hour drivers.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #178
bravura
aka Troubadour

Oddometer: 13
We bought one a couple of weeks ago for the wife to ride behind me on my Triumph America, the similarities of these two bikes are uncanny. I rode it 90 miles home from the shop but she has only put about 20 miles on it. We both love it, a great bike and fun, fun, fun to ride. You have to plan ahead when approaching an incline and shifting gears is expected but for bopping around country back roads and commuting to work this bike is a hoot. A Peter Egan experience.
We had a Honda Nighthawk 250 before this and there is no comparison, the TU wins hands down. We both recommend the TU250 to anyone who asks.
We will be working with a friend who designs and builds luggage racks for CBR and R1 sportbikes to design a pillion rack for the TU250 (it may be several weeks but I'll keep you posted).

Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #179
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Oddometer: 645
Just bought one. Rode one throughout the MSF courses and loved it. Felt no different than my CB. Not crazy about the foot control placement but that's nothing I can't fix with a little elbow grease.

Bought it this morning and it's being delivered tonight. Pics soon.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #180
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Oddometer: 645
fixed the shifter placement. there was a screw you could loosen to remove the lever and change how high it sits. still not perfect but WAY better than it was straight from the dealership.

has anyone managed to get their hands on a service manual for this bike? or for the st250 or grasstracker?

also, JT: what tach were you planning on using? i'd really like to get my hands on one.