Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #226
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Hills and highways are not the bike's strong suit but everything else is. 72mpg last week with a mix of city and one long freeway blast. it can maintain 70+ while on flat roads but elevation rises will drop the speed once you're at full open.

The tough decision i'm gonna have to make next spring is whether or not to sell it towards the purchase of a second bike. I'd be sad to see it go, but i want more motor and capability....
Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #227
sm0kediver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
The tough decision i'm gonna have to make next spring is whether or not to sell it towards the purchase of a second bike. I'd be sad to see it go, but i want more motor and capability..

I started with a small displacement bike (see my avatar), and I wish I still had it, but I can only really justify one bike at a time. I moved to a little bigger bike, a little bigger, and finally found one that suits me. It's got about 1400 cc on my original motorcycle and about $10,000 extra in cost. Yikes! A far cry from my original concept of economical transportation, but it takes a lot more bike to do what I want to do. I like to go wherever I want without being limited by speed limits, freeways etc, and I like to haul enough gear for me to be comfortable when I reach my destination. My current bike does the trick.

I still love the idea of small displacement motorcycles, and I love the looks of the TU250 (I want one), but no matter how hard you try to make it into something else, it will always be what it is (best suited for scooting around town/backroads). Load it up with gear and put it on a four lane mountain road with big trucks, and you'll get run over.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #228
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Oddometer: 645
you guys are insane. my tu250 does 75 on the highway all day and that is the most speed i need out of it. on hills i just downshift. i don't understand the "i need more" feeling you guys are throwing around.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #229
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh uh no way
you guys are insane. my tu250 does 75 on the highway all day and that is the most speed i need out of it. on hills i just downshift. i don't understand the "i need more" feeling you guys are throwing around.
As the owner (right now, selling!) of a tdub, I can understand the "need more" statement although in its element, the 200 (and in your case the 250) doesn't need any more.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #230
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Right but it seems everyone is saying highways aren't a part of its element. My daily commute says otherwise. The only thing I can think of is weight difference.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #231
ontoptherock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
seeing as this is my first brand new motorcycle, how strict were you guys with sticking to half throttle the first 600 miles on the motor and 3/4 throttle before 1000? i ask because i just did a 120 mile round trip this weekend, and did my best to not go over half throttle, although dont think i kept to that some of the time. a little hard sometimes when i have to travel on roads with 55mph speeds. But i am at the 275m mark after my trip. seems like i am creeping up on the first major service pretty quickly, seeing as i have owned the bike for a little over a week now. the suzuki dealership said $175 + parts for the major service. i guess i better schedule it soon.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #232
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

i beat the shit out of my bike and it's working perfectly. i tried being easy during the break in but the bike was too fun to not full throttle it all the time.

did the first oil change myself. i'm a little under 1400 miles right now and attempted to do the valve adjustment only to find out i didn't have a metric spark plug socket. just finished putting everything back together. will try again tomorrow after getting a socket.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #233
ontoptherock
Gnarly Adventurer

nice, glad to see someone else running this bad boy around philly as well. also just filled up for the first time during my trip and got 69 mpg, a far cry the 23 mpg i get with my 94 vw jetta
Old 07-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #234
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

quick question for all: if you're removing the gas tank to reach the valves, does it need to be drained if it's fuel injected? i'm thinking "no" but i'd like to be absolutely sure. the service manual mentions putting a towel under the hose, which is obvious to me as there will be some leftover in there, but it mentions nothing draining the tank. i'm not sure if that's just assumed or not..
Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #235
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
2011 version now on Suzuki website

Just noticed Suzuki has posted some 2011 models on their website and the TU is among them.

No apparent changes other than the color; I don't know what they call it but I think it looks rather nice.

MSRP is "coming soon"; would doubt they would raise the price given the sad state of m/c sales but you never know...

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #236
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Quote:
quick question for all: if you're removing the gas tank to reach the valves, does it need to be drained if it's fuel injected? i'm thinking "no" but i'd like to be absolutely sure. the service manual mentions putting a towel under the hose, which is obvious to me as there will be some leftover in there, but it mentions nothing draining the tank. i'm not sure if that's just assumed or not..
sorry, cant provide input about the gas tank but where did you get the service manual? is it tu250 specific?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #237
ontoptherock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett the nerd
sorry, cant provide input about the gas tank but where did you get the service manual? is it tu250 specific?
you can get the tu250x service manual right from suzuki's website for around $80 i believe.

interesting color for the 2011 model. i think i prefer the 2009 better though, of course i might just be saying that since i didn't want to wait for the 2011 models to arrive and just bought the 2009.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #238
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Awwwwwww hell! I'm not crazy about the new color but i want that black frame and fenders...

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...egory=standard
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #239
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,909
I want that tank guard!
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #240
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,909
Quote:
There is likely to be some pressurized fuel left in the system. Wear safety glasses and put a towel over the line when you disconnect it. That's what I do with my K100RS and I've never had an issue.
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote