ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #7246
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rycomm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Lee's Summit (KC) MO
Oddometer: 328
I just happend to stop by one of the larger dealers in town today.
I was looking for a used TU. They had none, so I inquired about the best out the door price for a '12 TU. They thought $4000 was the best they could do. I prefer smaller dealers, and was hoping for less than 4K.
Is that unreasonable for November?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ryan
__________________
07 DL650, blue
07 DRZ400, also blue for sale
11 TU250X, not blue
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #7247
Rhompin45
Rhompin45
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chandler arizona
Oddometer: 227
I have heard of people getting them cheaper. But that's about what I paid for mine.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #7248
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: NOVA
Oddometer: 377
i paid 3800 out the door, but delt with the DMV myself. if i let the dealer deal with them, it would have been 4000
__________________
"While it may be to early to drink scotch, it is never to early to think about drinking scotch."

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #7249
onewire
echo tech
 
onewire's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
This looks nice OneWire! It's not too much, but it seems that it would protect you quite well. I like it! +1

Yes, It does protect quite well. I haven't done a lot of miles with it yet. No twisties. But I can tell it makes the steering heavier so I'm taking it easy as I feel out the new dynamics.
__________________
There is no slack in light attack.
onewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #7250
Moto13
Riding to Relax
 
Moto13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Coast of Maine
Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Yes, It does protect quite well. I haven't done a lot of miles with it yet. No twisties. But I can tell it makes the steering heavier so I'm taking it easy as I feel out the new dynamics.
Do you get any 'bubble view' effect with the shield? That's always been one of my gripes with larger-than-a-few-inches-tall windshields - they block my view of what's going on right on front of my tire, and a few feet ahead (like when I go down my gravel driveway).
Either way, I still think yours at least looks the part!
Keep us updated on your opinion of it.
__________________
2011 Suzuki TU250X
For strange effects and extraordinary combinations we must go to life itself which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination.
- Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
Moto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #7251
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rycomm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Lee's Summit (KC) MO
Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
i paid 3800 out the door, but delt with the DMV myself. if i let the dealer deal with them, it would have been 4000
I would still have to pay sales tax, registration, and licensing on top of the 4K. That was just the bike and their "prep and admin" fees. That is why I prefer the smaller dealers. I still have the possibility of getting a "new" '11 that was used for the season at a MSF class. I haven't heard back from that dealer though. Good thing I'm in no hurry.

Thanks,
Ryan
__________________
07 DL650, blue
07 DRZ400, also blue for sale
11 TU250X, not blue
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #7252
Andy250
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 5
Hello all fron down under

Just purchased a TU250X 2012 ("grey" with black frame). Picked it up brand new yesterday. I have only read up to page 50 of this thread.

What I have done is have the dealer replace the front sprocket with a 16T one before delivery, and this is the result of browsing this thread and looking at posts on the tu250riders forum.

First impressions: I find the bike very pleasant to ride around town with decent low end torque and very forgiving. The clutch is nice, gear shifts are crisp, however the shift lever looks blah and needs blinging. I am still running it in and plan to do all the maintenance myself.

I am a reborn rider, from an absence of over 30 years. Before deciding on this particular bike, I tested the Triumph Bonneville, a honda CB400SF Revo and a Ducati Monster 696. The Honda was best IMHO as an all round bike but as I wanted to practice motorcycle maintenance, the Honda was out of the equation, inline 4, vtec... was too hard to start with. (the CB400SF is only available in Japan, parts of Asia and Australia)

Next: remove the stickerssssss !!!

Cheers everyone



Andy250 screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:37 PM Reason: add picture link
Andy250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #7253
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'
 
surly357's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
i paid 3800 out the door, but delt with the DMV myself. if i let the dealer deal with them, it would have been 4000

saw a used 2012 on denver craigslist today for only $6000....

that should sell fast....
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #7254
Bongolia
stop acting
 
Bongolia's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Oddometer: 16,503
Just moved to Hong Kong. Thinking of getting a TU 250 'Tracker' as the dealers seem to have a few used ones here.
__________________
A Pariah on the farm
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #7255
James Cook
O.H.M.S
 
James Cook's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton Victoria Aus
Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy250 View Post
Just purchased a TU250X 2012 ("grey" with black frame). Picked it up brand new yesterday. I have only read up to page 50 of this thread.

What I have done is have the dealer replace the front sprocket with a 16T one before delivery, and this is the result of browsing this thread and looking at posts on the tu250riders forum.

First impressions: I find the bike very pleasant to ride around town with decent low end torque and very forgiving. The clutch is nice, gear shifts are crisp, however the shift lever looks blah and needs blinging. I am still running it in and plan to do all the maintenance myself.

I am a reborn rider, from an absence of over 30 years. Before deciding on this particular bike, I tested the Triumph Bonneville, a honda CB400SF Revo and a Ducati Monster 696. The Honda was best IMHO as an all round bike but as I wanted to practice motorcycle maintenance, the Honda was out of the equation, inline 4, vtec... was too hard to start with. (the CB400SF is only available in Japan, parts of Asia and Australia)

Next: remove the stickerssssss !!!

Cheers everyone




Mates and other riders think you are a bit queer buying a TU.Peer pressure is alive and well when bigger bikes are the go.
I am enjoying my TU, fun just comes at a slower pace.
James Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #7256
Chaplain
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Appomattox, VA - AKA the surrender grounds
Oddometer: 214
Epic fail update

Hey y'all - just thought I would post so you know that I have not gone off screaming into the night; but I am still disgusted with myself. Not only was my trip an epic fail - the rest of the week and the one following was pretty heavy duty in the office.

After a full weekend of working in the basement I managed to get TU #1 down the steps into a cleared area in the basement. Tearing down the top half the engine will now be easier (even a garage or shed would not be as warm as the basement). Also, I've spend some time browsing the service manual. (Part No. 99500-32160-03E).

And, as Mrs. Chaplain's TU needs some exercise now and again I did some of my errands on TU #2. (The unstated understanding is that if I bend her bike or hurt it in any way I make it good or get her a new one).

Now that DST is past it is time to burn some midnight watts and take TU #1 apart. (for those just joining - the oil drain plug 'feel out' - meaning I didn't get it tight enough). I'll have to get a photo account so I can share pictures of what I find inside. It may take me a while, but I'll get there. What a way to get an education. sigh.
Chaplain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #7257
Rhompin45
Rhompin45
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chandler arizona
Oddometer: 227
Andy 250s bike

I'm on my phone kinda hard to see but is your tail light square? I have a 2012 mine is round like all the other ones I have seen but yours looks square.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #7258
CDNbiker
Lost in Space
 
CDNbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
Hey y'all - just thought I would post so you know that I have not gone off screaming into the night; but I am still disgusted with myself. Not only was my trip an epic fail - the rest of the week and the one following was pretty heavy duty in the office.

After a full weekend of working in the basement I managed to get TU #1 down the steps into a cleared area in the basement. Tearing down the top half the engine will now be easier (even a garage or shed would not be as warm as the basement). Also, I've spend some time browsing the service manual. (Part No. 99500-32160-03E).

And, as Mrs. Chaplain's TU needs some exercise now and again I did some of my errands on TU #2. (The unstated understanding is that if I bend her bike or hurt it in any way I make it good or get her a new one).

Now that DST is past it is time to burn some midnight watts and take TU #1 apart. (for those just joining - the oil drain plug 'feel out' - meaning I didn't get it tight enough). I'll have to get a photo account so I can share pictures of what I find inside. It may take me a while, but I'll get there. What a way to get an education. sigh.
You will "get er done" in no time I'm sure. I expect most of the damage will be on the top end. Probably some scoring of the piston and cylinder wall. I've been thinking of dragging my YL1 project bike into the basement too. Starting to get a little cold in the garage now. Looking forward to your progress reports.
__________________
"The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime" - Pink Floyd
CDNbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #7259
CDNbiker
Lost in Space
 
CDNbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
I'm on my phone kinda hard to see but is your tail light square? I have a 2012 mine is round like all the other ones I have seen but yours looks square.
I think all the "Down Under" bikes have the square taillight. The bracket looks the same though. Maybe we can trade round for square...
Since its already Monday there can one of you Aussies please give us the lotto numbers at the same time you confirm the square taillight??
__________________
"The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime" - Pink Floyd
CDNbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #7260
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,263
Are you in Japan?
Do they still make the cb400ss?

Other parts of the world get all sorts of very nice small and mid size bikes.
I think the cb400ss looks fantastic, not sure how they ride, but they look great and seem to be the right size motor.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...on_2007TMS.jpg



Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy250 View Post
Just purchased a TU250X 2012 ("grey" with black frame). Picked it up brand new yesterday. I have only read up to page 50 of this thread.

What I have done is have the dealer replace the front sprocket with a 16T one before delivery, and this is the result of browsing this thread and looking at posts on the tu250riders forum.

First impressions: I find the bike very pleasant to ride around town with decent low end torque and very forgiving. The clutch is nice, gear shifts are crisp, however the shift lever looks blah and needs blinging. I am still running it in and plan to do all the maintenance myself.

I am a reborn rider, from an absence of over 30 years. Before deciding on this particular bike, I tested the Triumph Bonneville, a honda CB400SF Revo and a Ducati Monster 696. The Honda was best IMHO as an all round bike but as I wanted to practice motorcycle maintenance, the Honda was out of the equation, inline 4, vtec... was too hard to start with. (the CB400SF is only available in Japan, parts of Asia and Australia)

Next: remove the stickerssssss !!!

Cheers everyone


NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014