Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #7366
birchbarx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
JKilla - love the look on your bike. Looks like you put some chrome edge strips along the outside of your tank. Was it hard to put on? I think it really adds to the classic look.
birchbarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #7367
jkilla71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by birchbarx View Post
JKilla - love the look on your bike. Looks like you put some chrome edge strips along the outside of your tank. Was it hard to put on? I think it really adds to the classic look.
I didn't like the seam on the stock tank but the chrome trim is a nice subtle addition.

That is chrome door trim I bought at walmart for $8 a roll. Just clean the seam very good before installing and you just press it on and it sticks and cures in a couple days. You might want to use some painters tape on the tight curves for a couple days because if you don't get it stuck on the first time it will keeping popping loose.
jkilla71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #7368
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
As far as the GW250, I recently found out about that, Apache Motorcycles has it on their site, I called and asked about it, but they couldn't tell me anything, no price, or any idea when they will arrive. From what I understand, they will be built entirely in China. I'm disappointed that Suzuki would do something like that, but it is apparently intended to compete with the Ninja 250/300 and Honda CBR250, so they have to keep the price down. If the quality is there, and the riding position is not too extreme, I will probably be adding one to my collection. It looks so much better to me than the Ninja and CBR, and a lot more comfortable as well. I had to give up an EX500 Ninja because of the uncomfortable riding position. In fact, it is what I traded for the TU250.
\QUOTE]

People have to realize when it comes to China: there are things built to China standards (junk) and built to other company standards, just using China for the cheap labor, which are usually better than their normal built location. Case in point, the BM F650/G650gs singles. If you get on the BMW forums, there are dozens (if not hundreds/thousands) of complaints about water pump issues on pre 2007 BMW thumpers, completely made in Germany/Austria. You will find 0 complaints of the 2009/2010 G650gs thumpers, whose engines are assembled in China. I have one of these, it now has 31,000+ miles and 0 defects. Just changed my rear sprocket on it today (OEM) and my chain and front sprocket are still good, matter of fact, the front sprocket doesnt look much different then the new sprocket I have purchased for replacement when needed.
I have a 10 year old tv I am watching, made in China, 0 defects. Most computers, made in china. IPhones/Ipads are todays craze=all made in China-if they were junk, nobody would buy them-no matter how cool.

Would I buy a chinese clone-no. However, the Chinese assembly plant has been building Suzuki engines/motorcycles to Suzuki standards for years-just because they were not imported doesnt mean they were bad-just the US glutony for everything big. The Honda CBR250, not made in Japan, local dealers around here sold them as fast as they got them.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #7369
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Took another cruise today, this time I went up north to check out some fall colors. Started in Chandler took some back roads to the 79, the the 60 all the way up to Globe, AZ. For those wondering how the TU does on hills, I was really testing the limits today. I was lucky there wasn't much traffic because in the hills where the roads had a 65 mph speed limit it was pretty hard to hold 65 indicated in between 3rd and 4th gear while laying low. However for most of the climbing the speeds were 50-55 roads which did not seem to be a problem as long as I kept shifting. Started in chandler at about 1200ft and went all the way up to 4500 pretty quickly. Awesome ride overall, went 160 miles total and was very nice to get out and about to some different roads. There were a ton of bikes out today of every kind. Here is a couple pics

Blue Scoot screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 04:54 PM
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #7370
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 227
Nice you made it to globe. I had thought about Doing that but haven't had the time I'm glad to hear its possable there are some good sized hills in there. I'm really itching to go on a trip now. That's a really pretty trip. Another one I want to do is 79 to Tucson.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #7371
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Nice you made it to globe. I had thought about Doing that but haven't had the time I'm glad to hear its possable there are some good sized hills in there. I'm really itching to go on a trip now. That's a really pretty trip. Another one I want to do is 79 to Tucson.
What kind of milage did you get going up there?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #7372
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
The TU250 will climb any mountain in North America. Maybe not super fast, but it will get there. Just downshift a few times. I've been to Flagstaff on mine, even outran some 18 wheelers going uphill. Also go to Payson and Show Low quite often.

bluecollarbobbers.com makes some tail/brake/license plate lights and license plate mounts that mount down by the rear axle, and are very small. I had a setup like that on a Honda Rebel.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #7373
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Rhompin,

I filled up at the gas station right next to my house before I headed out and round trip I got 76 mpg, yes Im sure going there was not as good as the trip back down but the average was 76 which I thought was pretty good. It seems it doesnt really matter how you ride this thing the mileage really stays just about the same all the time. My trip was pretty short because I was not able to leave till about 1 in the afternoon but was back before 5. I even bought a coffee at a stop I made up there and sat on a bench for a bit to enjoy it.

The next trip I want to do is motorcycle camping trip and really put some miles under me as well as stay a night or two up north and enjoy the simple things in life.

Here is a pic of the loop I did if you other local guys are interested.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #7374
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Really I am so confused to why I'm only getting 60 to 65 mpg while on the freeway averaging 75 mph. The best I have got was 73 and that was break in driving on surface streets. I can't figure it out I haven't done any thing to it other than sprocket in the front and that didn't even change it
Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #7375
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

When was the last time you checked your tire pressure? I bet the rear is fairly low.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #7376
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
I just filled up my second tank on the TU. The low light come on at 155, and I filled up at 159.7 and put in 2.1 gal. Thats 75mpg of mixed riding. Everything from easy around town errand running to some back road twisties and some time on the interstate. To make it even more variable, I switched to the 16t cs sprocket in the middle. The previous tank was 91 oct premium. The current tank is 87 oct. The previous station had alcohol in the low and mid grade, the current pumps were not labeled.

I guess I'll see with time how it turns out.
I did check my tire pressures today, and they were right on. So no leaks yet.

I've really been enjoying the TU. Today I did go over some RR tracks. I've been over them before on the DRZ. There is a big difference. I think I bottomed out the suspension. I'll have to remember that. It's been over 15 years since I rode a non- dual sport.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #7377
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
What they put in the gas may make a big difference in the mpg you get, along with:
Temps,
Altitude,
Tires and pressure,
Gearing,
Gear you wear,
What you weigh,
How you ride the TU,
Break in.

You really can get 90 mpg if you keep the speed down and ride gently, but who wants to do that.

And yes, if you can, take the time to ride the TU and enjoy the simple things.
Before you know it, you have a wife, house, dog, kids, a job, and little time for riding and seeing the country.
No better way to see the state/country/world then on a motorcycle, and the TU is a good bike to do it on.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #7378
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
After over two weeks of owning my TU, I finally got around to taking a few pictures of it.

I'm sure none of you are surpised by that, it looks just like a TU.
I thought that I would share it anyway.
Windscreen is a Givi A600 that's been in my garage since I had the SV back in '03. Yesterday I kept thinking how loud it was, even under 50 mph. I ended up rotating the screen back to horizontal, and the buffeting went away. I was glad is was there on the ride home at dusk and the temps were dropping quickly. It will come off in the spring for sure.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #7379
Darmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Yep. Looks like a TU, but so what! It's great to see new owners enjoying this bike. We all have been there with our own pictures and such. Keep them coming. Who knows, there maybe something that catches an eye on a potential owner from a picture or two you take.

I'm now the official owner of my TU again. I pulled it off the market and I'm keeping it. Besides, the Girlfriend may find herself riding it soon. And when not, I'm on it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
After over two weeks of owning my TU, I finally got around to taking a few pictures of it.

I'm sure none of you are surpised by that, it looks just like a TU.
I thought that I would share it anyway.

Ryan
Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #7380
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Awesome Rycomm,

I always enjoy seeing pictures of different TU's so keep them coming!! I know people are probably getting sick of seeing mine since I have been posting a lot of pics ha. Where you live hows the riding? Can you ride for most of the year?