Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #7381
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I think the high yesterday was in the low 50's. It was in the 40's when I got home. I have pretty decent gear. As long as I can keep the wind off, I'll keep riding, unless it's icy or snowing. I keep thinking about a heated vest, but so far I've gotten by without one.

Ryan

A couple more pics here, bottom of the page:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...257113&page=48
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #7382
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 235
I am going to try to take it easy this tank. I checked the tires they were what the sticker says it should be but I added a couple psi to it. I need to check the spark plug and valves since I just rolled over 3000.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #7383
Gyokusai
Consulting Detective

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
What they put in the gas may make a big difference in the mpg you get, along with:
Temps,
Altitude,
Tires and pressure,
Gearing,
Gear you wear,
What you weigh,
How you ride the TU,
Break in.
QFT. I can pretty much nail all my variations in MPG every time it happens.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #7384
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Something that came to mind is yes the valves need adjusting and that could be a bit of a reason why your mpg might be a bit low. But also what kind of oil are you guys running? I run Castrol 4t Full Synthetic, its in a gold bottle. Maybe those running conventional are a bit lower mpg or even from over filling could probably cause that a bit?

Of course putting more miles on the bike to help loosen things up will always help
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #7385
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

I got some yamalube because it came in a gallon jug when I flush this out ill get some synthetic. Also how many miles you guys go on oil change? I did my first at 600 then at 3000 if I remember right the book says to do it every 4000 miles but that just seems like to many on 1.6 quarts.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #7386
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

I think I will just change mine every 3,000 thats what the manual says and I really have like the performance of Castrol in all my cars, dirt bike. I just make sure the oil is at the right level every now and then, you never know so that sight glass comes in handy a lot.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #7387
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

I check mine when I get gas most of the time. I have been kinda paranoid since I read on here About the drain plug falling out. I kinda find it hard to hold the bike level while looking through the glass though since even a couple degrees outside of 90 throughs it off.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #7388
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
i place a small level on the top of my back seat and use that to get an idea of when the bike is level. makes thigns easier.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #7389
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,379
I expect to have the TU a long time, and I do abuse it, so it gets good oil and changed between 1000 and 1500 miles. Filter every 3rd time.
There is not much else to spend money on with the TU.
And when I put the salvage motor in my bike, I found the oil was very dirty, with sludge in the sump, and even after new oil, the oil looked dirty right away, so I will change it even before 1000 miles to get the crud out.
The salvage bike came with 7000 miles on it, and I think it might have got the first service and nothing else as the valves were also off, but it does run like a top anyway.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #7390
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Hey Brett I know you have probably mentioned it before but what type of oil do you use in your bikes? Any brand seem to work really good for you over the years? Just wondering maybe the oil for bikes are different in terms of who is good compared to the cars?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #7391
NJ-Brett
Brett

It depends on the bike, but in something like the TU the Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil, or one of the diesel oils.
The diesel oils are mostly 15w40 I think so are summer oils, the t6 5w40 makes the clutch grabby.

On a budget, the valvoline bike oil seems good, and in the old Triumphs which did not have oil filters, I used to run the not street legal racing oil (Valvoline) which had additives that ruin catalytic converters, and plenty of it.
It also had no detergents, and I had very little or no engine wear using it.
The primary and clutch used different oil from the engine, so i do not know how it would work in something like the TU.

I used to like castrol till I read reports they took all the good stuff out, and an engine builder told me they would not advise running it as it would ruin their cams.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #7392
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Good to know Brett, as always your experience and knowledge is always appreciated!!

I have been looking into tires lately and am thinking I will be taking some motorcycle camping/mini touring trips on the little TU this year yet. I was wondering if anyone has fitted the TU with some "vintage" style tires or something that look more classic. If so what ones have you put on? The "vintage" tires Im looking at are around 55-75 dollars each which I thought was very reasonable. I think with the new tires I might even go for the scrambler or grass tracker look I had in mind and would be able to make the switch by putting the stock shocks back on and making a new seat. Im telling you this bike is just like a motorcycle used to be, take it anywhere do anything on it type of bike. Although I have yet to test it on a real dirt road ha. But it sure would be fun I think

Vintage style tire (possibility)
http://www.bikebandit.com/duro-hf318...otorcycle-tire

Grass Tracker type tire (possibility)
http://www.bikebandit.com/dunlop-k70...otorcycle-tire
Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #7393
NJ-Brett
Brett

Both tires look ok.
I used to run the K70's on my Daytona, and they do very well on the street and in the dirt.

They are tall soft tires so give a good ride, they grip well, they wear faster then some other tires, but they grip very well. Forget about riding with a flat back tire, the rear size I had on the Daytona was tall and soft, so with a flat it just flops around.
I had a tube pinch in the rear running the shinko's, and rode it home 10 miles, without even damaging the tire.

The TU does great on dirt roads, just don't fall, or hit any bumps, as the shifter and brake pedal will snap off/bend up, the foot pegs will bend down, the forks will bottom out badly, the headlight will break ($$$), the clutch and brake levers snap off, gas tank will get dented, etc.
That is a shame, as the light weight and the motor are very nice in the dirt.

I put some shinko dual sport tires on my bike and dirt rode it a bit, and it was pure terror of falling and busting everything up, the ride was nasty due to the forks and little front wheel, and just trying to loft the front wheel over a bump bent the pegs down at 45 degrees....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Scoot View Post
Good to know Brett, as always your experience and knowledge is always appreciated!!

I have been looking into tires lately and am thinking I will be taking some motorcycle camping/mini touring trips on the little TU this year yet. I was wondering if anyone has fitted the TU with some "vintage" style tires or something that look more classic. If so what ones have you put on? The "vintage" tires Im looking at are around 55-75 dollars each which I thought was very reasonable. I think with the new tires I might even go for the scrambler or grass tracker look I had in mind and would be able to make the switch by putting the stock shocks back on and making a new seat. Im telling you this bike is just like a motorcycle used to be, take it anywhere do anything on it type of bike. Although I have yet to test it on a real dirt road ha. But it sure would be fun I think

Vintage style tire (possibility)
http://www.bikebandit.com/duro-hf318...otorcycle-tire

Grass Tracker type tire (possibility)
http://www.bikebandit.com/dunlop-k70...otorcycle-tire
Old 11-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #7394
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Isn't that what "dirt bikes" used to be though Brett? All the old Enduros where just street bikes with a more dirt oriented tire and maybe a bit more suspension?

Something like this more for around the campsite type roads to go exploring on?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #7395
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

I don't know if you guys have seen this but this could def be some inspiration, Def reminds me of you Brett!