Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #7396
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 198
Great video! I had seen the Hammarhead Jack Pine before, but not the video.

Funny, because I was actually laying awake last night thinking about ways to convert the TU into and old school dirt/street bike. Not because its the new hip trend, but bc it's the best of both worlds...
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #7397
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
I think they did a lot of work to that bike to be able to ride it like that.
I had the new Bonneville and no way I would dirt ride it on anything else but hard smooth dirt roads, which is mostly what is in the video.

I have had a number of dual sports and old bikes over the years, and yes, many of the older bikes did quite well in the dirt, even a stock cb350 was fun and quite tough.

The weight of the TU is good, the motor is great for the dirt, but everything else sucks.
The back shocks I can live with, but the forks just won't do.
You only have 3 inches of travel, they waste over an inch in the full compression bump stop which is really just a hydrolock setup where the damping goes WAY up and stops the forks from bottoming.
If you drain the oil out, you could get over 4 inches...
I have looked into making it softer so you could use some of the travel, but have not tried it yet.

The old bikes had little headlights and wide bars that prevented damage, they had the controls tucked in better, and with old Triumphs, had rigid mounted pegs that did not fold. I crashed my old Daytona way too many times and never broke anything (on the bike).

You would at least have to do something with the TU foot pegs, just a little air and they bend down.

One minor fall and you would likely rip off the brake pedal or shifter, break the levers and/or their mounts, bust the $400.00 headlight, dent the wide $600.00 gas tank, and bust a turn signal or two.

In rougher stuff, the 18 inch front wheel and the 3 inches of fork travel make for a very nasty ride.

Its just not worth it to do all that would be needed to make things good, and it would ruin the great street performance of the TU.

I am looking for something vintage that would be fun as a dual sport.
I have a list of bikes that might do better then the TU, all are old and some are very old.
Any old 350 to 500cc single or twin that is not super heavy is in the running.

At the top of the list is a late model sl350 I think.
If I was set up to weld, it might open up lots of other bikes, gn400, cb350, s40 savage, sr500, Honda 500 Ascot, sx650, even an old solid frame chain drive 883 sportster.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #7398
Andy250
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Chance to own a CB400SS

There is this CB400SS, 400cc single cylinder air cooled engine, 27 hp which just landed - used from Japan. I am drooling...

Thinking about making look like this one, or keep it as is

Back to reality... I have only done 250kms with the TU250
Andy250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #7399
NJ-Brett
Brett

This has been around for a while, but we are unable to get it in the US.
Great style, enough power, I bet its very light, but it is an old design and might vibrate quite a bit, as I do not think it has a balance gizmo setup like the TU has.

I like the fast red one:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...on_2007TMS.jpg

Its got a tach and a kick starter!

The spec's are 19 inch front wheel, 18 inch rear, 29 hp stock, 306 pounds dry.
If it does not vibrate like a paint shaker, it would be just what I am looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy250 View Post
There is this CB400SS, 400cc single cylinder air cooled engine, 27 hp which just landed - used from Japan. I am drooling...

Thinking about making look like this one, or keep it as is

Back to reality... I have only done 250kms with the TU250
Old 11-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #7400
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I am looking for something vintage that would be fun as a dual sport.
I have a list of bikes that might do better then the TU, all are old and some are very old.
Any old 350 to 500cc single or twin that is not super heavy is in the running.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823409
Not vintage, but by the time you get something vintage running properly it will outprice the Honda. FI, light weight, truly made for the dirt, 250cc, liquid-cooled - what's not to like? You could always replace the rectangular headlight/number plate with a round headlight.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #7401
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 227
I agree however its not nearly as cool and old looking. Well that's my opinion at least. I guess it depends what your doing with it and what it's worth as owner.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #7402
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
Not vintage, but by the time you get something vintage running properly it will outprice the Honda. FI, light weight, truly made for the dirt, 250cc, liquid-cooled - what's not to like? You could always replace the rectangular headlight/number plate with a round headlight.
What on earth does that have to do with anything in this thread?
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #7403
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, first off, I was at the dealer and looked at one and sat on it.
I do NOT like water cooled bikes, and the Honda is worse then many with the radiator guards sticking way out.
You don't notice it in the pictures, but sitting on it it looks silly to me.

Also, I want a bike my wife can get on the back of and we take a nice 2 or 3 hour ride.
Now I am 54 and my wife is older (don't tell anyone) and she would never get on the back of that bike, let alone do a 2 hour ride on it.

She did go on my old Daytona, and most other street bikes I have had (various Harley's, Triumphs old and new, the TU, never the dr650 or even the TW200.
She even went dirt riding on the back of the Daytona.

So a silly looking water cooled bike with a seat like a postage stamp is not going to do.

If it was just me and I was blind, the bike would be great, as I hear its quite a nice bike for the money.

Fun for me is a cool looking great sounding comfortable bike that is different from what most people ride.
I have enough skill and a low level of sense that I can go quite fast on poor bikes in the dirt, plus I am getting too old to go nuts on really fast bikes.
I can have just as much fun doing 50 mph down a trail on an sl350 as I could doing 80 on a KTM. More, because everyone has a KTM and I have not seen an sl350 on the trail in a long time.

I found it great fun to pass modern dual sports on my old Daytona in the dirt, what fun.

I am one of those people that loves to prove people wrong:
You need a great bike to go fast in the dirt...not.
That you need at least 900cc's to be safe on the street...not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #7404
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
weather was up in the 70s today, so i took the opportunity to run some errands and go after the NOVA tag today. was a great day to ride, especially since the recent cold and i have not been getting along well, keeping me off the bike for a bit.
still looking at good weather for tomorrow, so taking the TU to work is on the agenda.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #7405
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
weather was up in the 70s today, so i took the opportunity to run some errands and go after the NOVA tag today.
I hope that you're enjoying the weather, because I've been dealing with the 20's lately. A few days last week it was in the mid 40's, but when I get out of work at 9pm or midnight, it's definitely below freezing. On the plus side, the TU starts right up, and it only takes a few seconds to scrape the frost off of the seat.
Moto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #7406
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I was wondering why this thread was seeming a bit slow lately, its probably because it is too cold in most parts to ride.

In AZ this is the riding season, well during the day it seems. I have been riding year round rain or shine since last July however it was on a 50cc scooter for 16,000 miles and now the TU has taken over that job and I must say it is very enjoyable to me to ride year round. I dont mind riding in the 120 degree heat, you have to remember az is very dry which def helps, also I ride when it gets down into the 30's that usually the lowest it will get here so its not too bad if you are prepared for it ha.

I was thinking today if anyone has done any camping trips or small touring on the TU I had seen a couple people have but always interested in seeing ride reports or any pics. Hope everyone is doing well and keep riding if you can!!
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #7407
pullmanDave
2 Lane Tourer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Scoot View Post
I was wondering why this thread was seeming a bit slow lately, its probably because it is too cold in most parts to ride.
Riding season is over - and the bike is stored in the back corner of the garage. The snowblower is moved to the front. Our winters in Eastern Washington are usually done by mid-March. They dump a lot of gravel for traction on the hills rather than using salt. Riding season begins when the street sweepers get the roads cleaned up.

Not much riding to write about, but have enjoyed reading about all the new 2013 models coming out. Honda has several standard looking bikes now - a trend that you have to give the TU credit for reinvigorating.

Dave
pullmanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #7408
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 198
Sucks for you guys up North! I'm still enjoying daily temps in the 70's here in Texas!
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #7409
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Hey Dave that TU looks so sad in the corner of your garage!! It def wants to be ridden, I can tell ha
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #7410
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
Sucks for you guys up North! I'm still enjoying daily temps in the 70's here in Texas!
Tell me about it. That's the thing I dislike the most about living in Maine. I ride into December every year (last year into January ), but I'm the only motorcycle on the roads. Most people are done by end of September, with some stragglers in October.

There is an area at my work for motorcycle parking. By this time of the year I usually have to fend off the SUV's parked there who assume that nobody in their right mind still rides at this time.

My KLR had heated grips and hand guards, but that only helps so much. Your eyes get so cold that they start to water.
Moto13 is offline   Reply With Quote