Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #7441
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
Then you have a 4 valve head and your bike is much different from the US bikes.
Not sure how a 2 into 2 exhaust would work on a one cylinder bike....no one has done that as far as I know.

I would do one thing at a time, carb and jetting first.
I would also look foor a pumper carb, not just a non vacuum carb.
Pumpers work the bomb on thumpers.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #7442
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
No longer a lurker : )

Hi all, this must be the thread that won't die I have finaly made it all the way through and want to thank all the contributors for sharing their knowledge, experience and expertise. I have returned to motorcycle riding after a thirty-plus year absence and wish I had sooner. : ) Bought a 1985 Honda Magna 700 v4 a few months ago but did not enjoy it. Figured I wanted something more versatile, easily handled and FUN - and thanks to you I found it in this wonderful bike : ) I am waiting on the sprockets to change the gearing and have a few other mods in mind. I'm going to go for a really 'old school' look reminiscent of the bikes I saw in Ireland when I was a wee lad. Got the Enfield tank rack - would never have come across that or known it fits even if I had without this forum and long term hoping to add leg guards, longer mudguards, headlamp visor etc etc. I'm also going to repaint it white (though yellow is tempting too...)
Would love to get in contact with TU riders in the St Louis area - don't have a lot of people to hang out with here especially those who like motorbikes : )
Thanks again for some of the most informative and fun reading of my life : )
Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #7443
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Welcome John make sure to keep us posted on your adventures and updates with pics when you get around to it!

-2011 TU250
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #7444
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Thank you Blue Scoot : ) I would post a photo of my TU but cannot figure out how to copy it here - will wait untill youngest son is around, us old geezers are not too adept at this techie stuff
Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #7445
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Has anyone taken the plug out of the hole that says 'Kick Starter'? Is there anything back there that would make it possible to add an after-market kickstart for a reasonable cost to the TU?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #7446
NJ-Brett
Brett

You would need to buy the parts, kick start, gears, spring, seal.
It would likely cost more then $200.00 but you might be able to get the parts cheaper out of another motor Suzuki made that included the kick start, if they imported one.

Ordering parts from Japan is expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
Has anyone taken the plug out of the hole that says 'Kick Starter'? Is there anything back there that would make it possible to add an after-market kickstart for a reasonable cost to the TU?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7447
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
Try searching ebay UK or Australia for the parts.There's a few other models that use the TU engine that we didn't get in the US.I don't recall what models.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #7448
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Thanks all - will be in UK in a couple of weeks time so might be able to pick up the parts there and give it a shot : )
Old 01-06-2013, 05:03 AM   #7449
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I have been lurking advrider.com for a few weeks and hadn't planned to post until after I bought my next bike (after a 26 year hiatus from riding). However, I finally finished reading EVERY PAGE of this thread and want to thank everyone who has contributed to this fine compendium of tu250x information. My brother first brought it to my attention and I'm nearly certain that this is the bike for me and I am now much more knowledgeable about the maintenance, improvement, performance, and reliability of the tu250x than the average rider thanks to you all.

I was originally looking at larger dual sports, but to me, the tu250x is the only motorcycle in the American market that comes close to the image of what I think an ideal motorcycle should be, but in an updated package -at least for a price I am willing to pay. I don't think of it as being "retro", it is simply the quintessential motorcycle. I plan to use it for riding around in the Finger Lakes of Western NY where I now live, riding to work, and touring (I'm now reading the Minimalist Touring Thread...).

I'm months away from buying a bike, but it appears that the tu250x is what I'm looking for.
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #7450
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
If you like the retro thumpers, you might take a look at the Royal Enfield 500 Bullet. I went to a dealer in Olympia Wa. in 2008 and test rode one and went home with a new leftover 2007. I sold all three of my motorcycles when we moved to Hawaii in Sept of 2011.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #7451
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
I rode my TU250 out to the Dallas "Cars & Coffee" meet a few months ago and parked next to the only other motorcycle out there- a Royal Enfield Bullet. The owner seems impressed that I rode my 250 on the freeway to get there, he said he doesn't like taking the RE on the freeway. From everything I've read, the Enfield has performance similar to the TU, but worse fuel economy, higher purchase price, more maintanence problems, etc. About the only upside to choosing an Enfield over a TU is the cache from owning an "exotic" Royal Enfield.

That said, I wish I had a Royal Enfield Bullet as well. I'd attach a sidecar to ride around with the family on the weekends.
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #7452
NJ-Brett
Brett

You might also look here:
http://tu250riders.com/viewforum.php?f=8

The TU is a great bike and loads of fun to ride.

There ARE a few flaws:
It does not have a tach,
It is limited in power for high speed work.

That is a really short list!

The positive things are too many to list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDaksi View Post
I have been lurking advrider.com for a few weeks and hadn't planned to post until after I bought my next bike (after a 26 year hiatus from riding). However, I finally finished reading EVERY PAGE of this thread and want to thank everyone who has contributed to this fine compendium of tu250x information. My brother first brought it to my attention and I'm nearly certain that this is the bike for me and I am now much more knowledgeable about the maintenance, improvement, performance, and reliability of the tu250x than the average rider thanks to you all.

I was originally looking at larger dual sports, but to me, the tu250x is the only motorcycle in the American market that comes close to the image of what I think an ideal motorcycle should be, but in an updated package -at least for a price I am willing to pay. I don't think of it as being "retro", it is simply the quintessential motorcycle. I plan to use it for riding around in the Finger Lakes of Western NY where I now live, riding to work, and touring (I'm now reading the Minimalist Touring Thread...).

I'm months away from buying a bike, but it appears that the tu250x is what I'm looking for.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #7453
NJ-Brett
Brett

Very expensive for the quality you get.
I think its an expensive low speed bike that you need to look after very often, despite the improvements lately.

While the TU is under powered, you can run it at full throttle and whatever rpm you please for hours, days, weeks, months, without any issues or discomfort.
You could hop on your TU and ride it full throttle cross the country and back with just oil changes.

I am SURE you can not do that with an Enfield.

If you like the style, the Enfield is likely a very fun bike to ride around under 55 mph.
Nothing like a big single to give you a tingle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
I rode my TU250 out to the Dallas "Cars & Coffee" meet a few months ago and parked next to the only other motorcycle out there- a Royal Enfield Bullet. The owner seems impressed that I rode my 250 on the freeway to get there, he said he doesn't like taking the RE on the freeway. From everything I've read, the Enfield has performance similar to the TU, but worse fuel economy, higher purchase price, more maintanence problems, etc. About the only upside to choosing an Enfield over a TU is the cache from owning an "exotic" Royal Enfield.

That said, I wish I had a Royal Enfield Bullet as well. I'd attach a sidecar to ride around with the family on the weekends.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #7454
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Well gents. i feel like i have failed as a TU owner. for the last month and a half, it has sat in the garage, unloved :(
just to cold for me outside, even with my winter gear... as of late, my only time to ride is my commute to work, and with the cold and constant stop and go, that has become down right miserable

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #7455
NJ-Brett
Brett

I got out Saturday and Sunday, 40F, but Sunday was a mistake as I went out early after a 1/4 inch of overnight snow, and the road crews were out spreading tons of salt.
It was good till I hit a wet area, and the bike was a real mess.

I see no need for salt around here, people should just learn how to drive, they salt if they see more then 2 snow flakes and all it does is make a huge mess of everything.