Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #7456
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
The older Royal Enfields were not really freeway suitable. But they a new and very updated engine now that can handle freeway riding. My 2007 had the older pre-unit construction and carb'd engine. The new ones are fuel injected and unit costruction and very much a modern engine.My 2007 got 75-85 mpg, and the new ones get that too I believe. But even the old ones were quite fun to ride, especially on country roads.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #7457
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
THIS - is the only bike that could pose serious competition to my buying a tu250x if it comes to the US - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849303 I almost pointed it out when I posted earlier, but figured others would stumble upon this rumor as well, and someone has...

Of course, that would mean I would have to buy new and I drive a hard bargain. When I'm ready to buy I will be looking for a good deal. I will only pay $2000-$2500 for a used (or less... ), or $3000-$3500 for new out the door.

The Royal Enfields don't overly appeal to me for some reason. I wasn't impressed with their build quality when I looked at them and they too closely emulate an old bike. If I wanted a retro bike, I would just get a old bike. As I mentioned, I am not looking for a retro bike, I'm looking for a standard bike. Even though the looks appeal to me on these bikes, I'm more interested in reliability, performance (not speed, but comfort, ease of use...), and value.

I forgot to mention also that I grew up wrenching on cars, trucks, and motorcycles. I plan to do all of my own maintenance and repair work, because I can, I don't trust shops, and I'm cheap. I wouldn't plan to do much to tu250x with the exception of the some of the minor performance mods (sprockets) that have been discussed on this thread.

BlueDaksi screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 04:26 AM Reason: British? Royal? duh?
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #7458
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,329
I bet the sr400 would be no better at speed then the TU or the Enfield.

http://contemplativemotorcycling.blo...00-review.html

If you can get the TU up to 70 or 80 mph, its happy there, and will run all day that way.
Maybe not so with the other bikes.

People still have problems with the new Enfields, and I think they still shake a lot at speed.
I do not understand how they can be made in India and cost so much.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #7459
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
I'm still commuting on my TU daily, I love it. Of course, I live in Texas so it doesn't get THAT cold.

I took this before leaving for work yesterday morning- I think it was 28 degrees:

"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #7460
Motorcycho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Manual?

anyone know if there is a TU Manual that can be downloaded?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #7461
thumpnokie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
I'm still commuting on my TU daily, I love it. Of course, I live in Texas so it doesn't get THAT cold.

I took this before leaving for work yesterday morning- I think it was 28 degrees:

LOL . . . great pic.

28 is about 10 degrees too cold for me on the TU without any of the wind protection of a windshield and hand guards.
thumpnokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #7462
whooo?
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Well I am at page 406 so far. In another few days I will be caught up on this thread.

I arrived here from wanting a new Stella Scooter, with lesser scooters as options. I am not sure exactly what led me to this thread, it was so long ago that I started reading it. But the TU250X seems to be the best of both worlds, simple as a scooter & with the reliability of a motorcycle. My limitation is financial and maybe age. Anyway, it does look like I ought to be in a position to buy one in early spring.

I gave up my motorcycle endorsement about 20 years back, I took a temp job as a courier out of state back then and the temp agency insisted that I needed a Virginia license despite my Michigan license being a full commercial license with all the endorsements. I did not have the money to pay for a new commercial license, so I just got a basic drivers license. When I lit here in North Carolina I got my Commercial License again but did not have a bike to get my motorcycle endorsement on. Then I let the Commercial go for health reasons the last time I renewed. Looking into it, I see no problem with getting the motorcycle endorsement. Just get the permit, and then when I have bought the bike, go down and take the riding test. I figure I have to do that soon however, as i am going to be old next year. At least I have always though of 70 as being old.

I will have to finance the TU but figure that I can keep the payments below what I will save on gas over my old Blazer, and just use the Blazer in really bad weather or when I have to haul something heavy or bulky. That will extend its life a bit, I hope.

You guys have posted about all the info I need to figure out the best way to set up the new bike when I get it. There is a lot of good advice here. There is also some bad advice. What I take the most exception to is the idea that everyone is going to crash their bike someday. I have been riding two wheelers for 60 years or more and have never crashed one (I have deliberately dropped them now and then however), nor been hit by a car. I attribute that to a healthy sense of paranoia.

Anyway, I am looking forward to riding again. And wanted to say hi to all the regulars here.

whooo? screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 06:48 AM
whooo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #7463
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooo? View Post
Well I am at page 406 so far. In another few days I will be caught up on this thread.

I arrived here from wanting a new Stella Scooter, with lesser scooters as options. I am not sure exactly what led me to this thread, it was so long ago that I started reading it. But the TU250X seems to be the best of both worlds, simple as a scooter & with the reliability of a motorcycle. My limitation is financial and maybe age. Anyway, it does look like I ought to be in a position to buy one in early spring.

I gave up my motorcycle endorsement about 20 years back, I took a temp job as a courier out of state back then and the temp agency insisted that I needed a Virginia license despite my Michigan license being a full commercial license with all the endorsements. I did not have the money to pay for a new commercial license, so I just got a basic drivers license. When I lit here in North Carolina I got my Commercial License again but did not have a bike to get my motorcycle endorsement on. Then I let the Commercial go for health reasons the last time I renewed. Looking into it, I see no problem with getting the motorcycle endorsement. Just get the permit, and then when I have bought the bike, go down and take the riding test. I figure I have to do that soon however, as i am going to be old next year. At least I have always though of 70 as being old.

I will have to finance the TU but figure that I can keep the payments below what I will save on gas over my old Blazer, and just use the Blazer in really bad weather or when I have to haul something heavy or bulky. That will extend its life a bit, I hope.

You guys have posted about all the info I need to figure out the best way to set up the new bike when I get it. There is a lot of good advice here. There is also some bad advice. What I take the most exception to is the idea that everyone is going to crash their bike someday. I have been riding two wheelers for 60 years or more and have never crashed one (I have deliberately dropped them now and then however), nor been hit by a car. I attribute that to a healthy sense of paranoia.

Anyway, I am looking forward to riding again. And wanted to say hi to all the regulars here.
Welcome back. 70's not old. It's just a 20 year old with 50 years riding experiance.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #7464
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,252
I'm actually still searching for a figure for alternator output for the TU250. Does anyone know what it is?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #7465
NJ-Brett
Brett

I also have not crashed on the street, at least, not for 35 years.
You can save a LOT of money getting a used TU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooo? View Post

Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #7466
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
my bike schizophrenia has kicked in again and I'm thinking of swapping to a tu250, lighter than my 750, looks better, awesome fuel economy and every owner seems to love them.

Only fly in the ointment is that the service interval is apparently 3000 miles which includes valves, changing fluids and filters I'm actually starting to enjoy but valves checks I have very little experience of, for those of you who do your own work, how long does a service take? and how doable is it by your average mechanical retard?

other than that I think I'm sold
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #7467
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
First time doing everything at the 3,000 mile mark took me about an hour. The first time will obviously be the longest, this included changing the oil, cleaning the chain, adjusting the valves, and of course having plenty of beer breaks. Now it takes me 30 minutes tops without rushing and making sure it is all done right.

P.S. this is my first 4-stroke motorcycle so i consider myself a mechanical retard

-2011 TU250
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #7468
NJ-Brett
Brett

Yes, under 30 minutes once you do it.
And I cant say they need a lot of adjustment once the motor breaks in.

I put around 8000 miles on my bike last year, that is 2 valve checks.
I do not think I have had to adjust them for a while.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #7469
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
that sounded so good i went out and signed the papers, pick up on saturday
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #7470
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
Congrats! You're going to love this bike...
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote