Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #7471
whooo?
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I also have not crashed on the street, at least, not for 35 years.
You can save a LOT of money getting a used TU.
Well, if I could pay cash, which I can't, I could save a lot buying used. New, there are low interest loans available. Of course, if a good enough deal came along to make it worth paying credit card interest rates...
whooo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #7472
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Has anyone ever had one of the valve cover bolts come loose? I noticed there was some dirt collecting on my head and cylinder and that my bike had also gotten really quiet. So I took tank off and was inspecting the top of the motor to see what was going on. One of the bolts was almost backed all the way out, so I snugged it back down and wiped the motor clean. Im going to have to keep an eye on it and make sure the gasket didnt go bad. Figured I would give a heads up to the other peeps and I thought that it was kind of weird since the bike only has about 6800 miles

-2011 TU250
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #7473
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Picked the bike up yesterday and it already has 100km on it, would have more but I've had work and a couple of family things.

First impression is that this is one of the reasons adv rider is such a valuable resource. I couldn't test ride and still knew just about what to expect, the reviews in this thread are right on the money. In fact the reviews and experience in this thread is why I went with the TU in the first place.

Looks fantastic, handles well too, rode it home from the dealer on slick roads (it had just started raining) on brand new tyres and it didn't give me a moments pause. After about half an hour I'd forgotten I was on a bike I didn't know and was splitting traffic.

Power is what it is, break in at half throttle plus my general tub-o-lard-ness means the bike isn't quick. I imagine the engine will loosen up a bit but sticking to riding gently for the first thousand k's is going to be hard. On the upside it does city speeds beautifully and though it doesn't get up to speed super quick the light weight, narrowness and handling means you don't tend to slow down that much. I can definitely see what Brett talks about with racing the TU through traffic.

I'd like to go the re-gear but I'm not sure it'll pull me at 250 lbs with higher gearing, I kinda think it will though so I'll give that a shot sooner rather than later. Of course it does mean that my performance mod's to the bike are to get back to training and eat more vegetables so thats probably a good thing too.

The bike is an absolute giggle, probably the most fun I've had in the city. I'm not sure that it's being marketed right it's good for beginners sure, but it's also good for more experienced folks who want to ride all of their bike everyday and not tiptoe around the edges of it's capacity.

Having fun so far, will update as I get some more ride time in. Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'm gunna like this one.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #7474
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Enz0,

I weigh 242 and the 16/41 gearing is just fine for me and boy does it make for a less buzzy rode. I've gotten comments from other bikers about what a super restoration I've done! then I tell them it'a a 2009 and their jaws drop!
Be safe and enjoy!
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #7475
whooo?
n00b

In my browsing I came across an article about the 2008 ST250e (The Japanese market version of the Tu250x). It looked identical to the 2009 TU250. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark the site and can not find it again.

In 2004 they had a cream colored version that looked really good to me. BTW, it appears to me that the 2009 TU was a "E" version, and the plainer 2011,12,13 models are "non-E" versions of the ST250. Also it appears that the Japanese pay more for a used ST250's than we pay for new TU250's.

Quite a lot of interesting stuff when you google ST-250.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #7476
whooo?
n00b

Sidecar on the TU250

Has anyone come up with anything on anybody actually mounting a sidecar on the ST/TU-250? Back in the 1950's sidecars on 250cc motorcycles were pretty common. Nowadays most seem to think you need at least 1500cc's to haul a sidecar, but the Cozy is actually a copy of a sidecar that was designed to use on 250-350cc motorcycles, so one of those ought to work well. I assume a subframe would be need to keep the stress off the crankcase.

The reason I am interested in this is because in another 5-10 years I may no longer be able to handle a two-wheeler.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #7477
whooo?
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Scoot View Post
Has anyone ever had one of the valve cover bolts come loose? I noticed there was some dirt collecting on my head and cylinder and that my bike had also gotten really quiet. So I took tank off and was inspecting the top of the motor to see what was going on. One of the bolts was almost backed all the way out, so I snugged it back down and wiped the motor clean. Im going to have to keep an eye on it and make sure the gasket didnt go bad. Figured I would give a heads up to the other peeps and I thought that it was kind of weird since the bike only has about 6800 miles
Bolts coming loose on motorcycles is real common. One of the checks experienced motorcyclists do is to go over all the bolts about once a year to make sure they are all tight.

BTW, did you check you oil level after retightening that bolt?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #7478
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Yes one of the first things I checked was the oil level after tightening everything back up. I guess I just didn't expect things to loosen up so soon because I bought the bike in october with only 1700 miles although it is a 2011. From now on I will be checking all bolts at every service. Probably should do that regardless but now this makes me feel like I have to.

I changed the spark plug at 6500 and realized it looked very lean, I just figured it was the colder temps but I just hope it didn't hurt anything.

-2011 TU250
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #7479
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,208
The bike will get better with time, and at least the 16 tooth is called for.
Its not so much weight as wind drag in most situations.
The bike does ok with 16-41 with my wife on the back, and we outweigh the bike.
Yes, its not quick with both of us on it, but its not slower then traffic.

I doubt may people manage to do the break in.
I made it about 50 miles, then was riding it hard, no issues.

The bike may grow on you, I really cant get enough time on mine, after 2 years and 16,000 miles!
When I got the bike, I was a bit disapointed, but not any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
Picked the bike up yesterday and it already has 100km on it, would have more but I've had work and a couple of family things.

First impression is that this is one of the reasons adv rider is such a valuable resource. I couldn't test ride and still knew just about what to expect, the reviews in this thread are right on the money. In fact the reviews and experience in this thread is why I went with the TU in the first place.

Looks fantastic, handles well too, rode it home from the dealer on slick roads (it had just started raining) on brand new tyres and it didn't give me a moments pause. After about half an hour I'd forgotten I was on a bike I didn't know and was splitting traffic.

Power is what it is, break in at half throttle plus my general tub-o-lard-ness means the bike isn't quick. I imagine the engine will loosen up a bit but sticking to riding gently for the first thousand k's is going to be hard. On the upside it does city speeds beautifully and though it doesn't get up to speed super quick the light weight, narrowness and handling means you don't tend to slow down that much. I can definitely see what Brett talks about with racing the TU through traffic.

I'd like to go the re-gear but I'm not sure it'll pull me at 250 lbs with higher gearing, I kinda think it will though so I'll give that a shot sooner rather than later. Of course it does mean that my performance mod's to the bike are to get back to training and eat more vegetables so thats probably a good thing too.

The bike is an absolute giggle, probably the most fun I've had in the city. I'm not sure that it's being marketed right it's good for beginners sure, but it's also good for more experienced folks who want to ride all of their bike everyday and not tiptoe around the edges of it's capacity.

Having fun so far, will update as I get some more ride time in. Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'm gunna like this one.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #7480
NJ-Brett
Brett

Unusual for a TU, but you are supposed to go over things at the first service, which almost never gets done most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Scoot View Post
Yes one of the first things I checked was the oil level after tightening everything back up. I guess I just didn't expect things to loosen up so soon because I bought the bike in october with only 1700 miles although it is a 2011. From now on I will be checking all bolts at every service. Probably should do that regardless but now this makes me feel like I have to.

I changed the spark plug at 6500 and realized it looked very lean, I just figured it was the colder temps but I just hope it didn't hurt anything.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #7481
NJ-Brett
Brett

And I am not sure the plug shows lean, it might just be clean.
Modern motors, oil and gas seem to burn very clean.
I worried about the plug when I first got the TU. I had drilled the exhaust, then was riding with the throttle wide open most of the time, in the summer, riding the bike hard, with very little break in, and then it started making noises!

So, I took the motor apart to see if I had screwed something up.
The motor looked like new inside. I think it had 3000 miles on it at that time.
No signs of anything over heating, very clean piston top and valves, the under side of the piston looked like a brand new piston, no varnish, no discoloration, no wear on anything, if you took a brand new motor apart, it would look the same.

The noise comes from the crank balance gizmo which is gear driven, and all the TU gears have slop in them to allow for thermal expansion. Over filling the oil seems to make it worse.

So I put the motor back together and went back to riding the thing as hard as you can, without a single worry about it.
There seems to be nothing you can do to the bike that will hurt it, as long as its got oil in it.
It does NOT run hot at all, its got a plated bore and LOTS of fins, and the highest I measured the oil temp was 182F on a 100F day after a hard run.

I also did some experiments in the past with the mixture, and I could not get the bike to run any better, even adding fuel.

So I am going to just keep riding my bike hard, and not worry about it one bit.

When I got my bike, I did the first service (I have done all the service) and went over all the nuts and bolts on the bike.
I found the sprocket cover bolts not very tight, and that was it.
I have checked again, not found anything loose, so now I mostly ignore the bike.
I change the oil, I check the valves from time to time, once a year I clean the air filter, lube the chain every once and a while, and not much else.

Unlike some bikes in the past that needed a very close eye before every ride, the TU never seems to need anything at all.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #7482
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I keep finding reasons to go out.... we now have 6 liters of milk and I'm thinking there has be an excuse for a midnight run before bed.

Damm this thing is fun to ride, I think I'm hooked
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #7483
NJ-Brett
Brett

I have had a number of bikes over many years, but the TU is the only bike I ever had that had me doing the same thing long term.

Partly because its so easy and quick to hop on and go, and mostly because its so fun to zip around on, even a 5 mile ride is fun and worth it.
I keep a tail bag on the rack, and in the summer I will use any excuse, even lame ones, to run out for something.

I suppose my wife thought the new motorcycle thing would have worn off the TU like the other bikes did, but after 2 years its gotten WORSE.
I have been out almost every weekend, both days if its not raining or snowing, which I would never have bothered with on any other street bike at this time of year.

For me, its a sickness....

Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
I keep finding reasons to go out.... we now have 6 liters of milk and I'm thinking there has be an excuse for a midnight run before bed.

Damm this thing is fun to ride, I think I'm hooked
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #7484
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
how did yall install the rear sprocket? as in what solution did you come up with to raise the rear of the bike off the ground, yet still have it planted and stable while doing so?

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #7485
NJ-Brett
Brett

I use a small floor jack under the bike with it on the sidestand.
You only have to get the wheel a little off the ground.

I put a block of wood between the frame and the jack.