Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #7486
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,635
You do realize the top speed is going to be under 50 mph, and its going to take a long time to get there...
18 hp and side cars do not really mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooo? View Post
Has anyone come up with anything on anybody actually mounting a sidecar on the ST/TU-250? Back in the 1950's sidecars on 250cc motorcycles were pretty common. Nowadays most seem to think you need at least 1500cc's to haul a sidecar, but the Cozy is actually a copy of a sidecar that was designed to use on 250-350cc motorcycles, so one of those ought to work well. I assume a subframe would be need to keep the stress off the crankcase.

The reason I am interested in this is because in another 5-10 years I may no longer be able to handle a two-wheeler.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #7487
Roadfinder
Always Learning

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
how did yall install the rear sprocket? as in what solution did you come up with to raise the rear of the bike off the ground, yet still have it planted and stable while doing so?
I followed NJ-Brett's method and it works fine. As you raise the jack you may want to put a 1 inch board under the side stand to keep the bike stable as it rises. (I used 2, 1"X10" boards, about a foot long).
Roadfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #7488
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I used two jackstands and placed them under the footpegs. That made a pretty stable triangle between the front tire and two stands, worked great for me.

-2011 TU250
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #7489
whooo?
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
You do realize the top speed is going to be under 50 mph, and its going to take a long time to get there...
18 hp and side cars do not really mix.
Nah, 150cc scooters get 50mph with a cozy sidecar mounted, the TU ought o be able to do 55-60. maybe even 65mph.with no windshield on the hack. There are two or three appropriate size hacks available,, most of them copies of the Steib LS-200/S-200. Stock gearing is probably just about right with a sidecar mounted.

I have read where someone has inquired about mounting a hack on a TU250, and had been told it is doable; but I have not found a report from anyone who has actually done it.

I guess I should put this question up in the "Hacks" forum too.
whooo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #7490
NJ-Brett
Brett

The stock gearing is good for a hack, thats for sure.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #7491
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfinder View Post
I followed NJ-Brett's method and it works fine. As you raise the jack you may want to put a 1 inch board under the side stand to keep the bike stable as it rises. (I used 2, 1"X10" boards, about a foot long).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Scoot View Post
I used two jackstands and placed them under the footpegs. That made a pretty stable triangle between the front tire and two stands, worked great for me.
cool beans. hopefully the bottle jack that came with my truck will work. atm, i dont have a floor jack, and have no place to keep one

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #7492
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I went out to grab what I thought was a local phototag today.
The temps were above freezing, and it was sunny, so it was a nice little 20 mile ride. As I rolled into my driveway, I looked down and saw that I just rolled 1000 miles on the odometer, so it took a pic.

Nothing really newsworthy, but I thought I would share anyway.

Ryan
former rides:
98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #7493
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

I didn't use a floor jack I just used the stands. You lift the rear of the bike by the fender and place a jackstand under each footpeg.

On a slightly different note I chose a rear tire that I thought would be a good choice mainly by the looks of the tread. I wanted something a bit more dated and think it will be a great tire.

Here is a pic.

-2011 TU250
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #7494
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Scoot View Post
I didn't use a floor jack I just used the stands. You lift the rear of the bike by the fender and place a jackstand under each footpeg.

On a slightly different note I chose a rear tire that I thought would be a good choice mainly by the looks of the tread. I wanted something a bit more dated and think it will be a great tire.

Here is a pic.
that is good to know.
ive got two stands, but no floor jack.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #7495
NJ-Brett
Brett

Is that a Continental?
I ran one that looked like that on my Bonneville back in the 80's, and it needed to be replaced in California.
Fast wearing but sticky...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #7496
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Is that a Continental?
It sure looks like the same tread pattern. I ran them on my BMW.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #7497
enz0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
500k's so far in about a week, bike handles beautifully especially in the wet where it's just confidence inspiring.

Has anyone elses bike cut out for no reason? mine only seems to if I'm off the throttle with the clutch in while the bike is in first and it starts right back up, ideas? I may just take advantage of the fact I actually have a new bike and get the dealer to take a look at it

Stupidly fun machine
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #7498
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

The new tire I ordered is actually a Duro HF318 in a 4x18 size actually. However I know what continental tires you are talking about because I saw them but they were $130 for 1 and I paid $60 shipped for this one. All the reviews were very positive so we will see what happens.

-2011 TU250
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #7499
Roadfinder
Always Learning

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
500k's so far in about a week, bike handles beautifully especially in the wet where it's just confidence inspiring.

Has anyone elses bike cut out for no reason? mine only seems to if I'm off the throttle with the clutch in while the bike is in first and it starts right back up, ideas? I may just take advantage of the fact I actually have a new bike and get the dealer to take a look at it

Stupidly fun machine
Some owners have had a stalling problem. The throttle STOP screw (page 7-28 in the owner's manual) should be adjusted. A search on this thread for THROTTLE STOP or STALLING should turn up some posts. Very simple fix; warm up engine, turn STOP screw clockwise to raise idle.
Roadfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #7500
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Well... This thread has profoundly influenced my philosophy on riding and motorcycles. I was (still am?) planning to pick up a tu250 in the next few months, but have had a bike fall into my lap (trading a kayak for it...) that I believe incorporates many of the same features that make the tu250 such a great bike and even has some things that are common desires of many tu250 riders. In a couple of days I plan to pick up a 1982 Honda FT500 that the current owner parked a few years ago due to a broken clutch cable.

Although they are somewhat different stylistically in appearance, here's how I think the two bikes are similar:

-Both are close ratio gear 5-speeds.
-Both are air cooled thumpers.
-Standard bikes set up for upright riding posture (19" front wheel and 18"rear).
-Lightweight and narrow.
-Both are notoriously "underpowered", but can easily be tweaked for improved performance.
-Street-oriented but with dirt road/light trail possibilities.
-Comfortable for 2-up riding despite small size (seats seem very similar).
-Simple to work on.
-Both have nimble road handling.

FT500 features that tu250 owners often say they would like to have:

-A few more cubic inches to make straight highway riding a bit more confident.
-rear disc brake.
-tachometer (really not needed on the tu250 because of rev limiter).

Best features (in my opinion...) of the tu250 that the FT500 does not have:

-Fuel injection
-larger fuel tank.
-Better mpg (FT500 tops out at 65mpg).
-Wire spoke wheels vs. alloy.
-Rev limiter.
-Greater reliability -the FT500 has some quirky problems.
-New bike still in production vs. only a two year run in the USA

Anyway, I think these motorcycles are very comparable and I wish there were more bikes available with their features. What do you all think. Have a made a fair assessment?
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote