User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #7501
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Great deal on a great bike!
I think many things below are not quite correct... in order...

The trans on the TU is not close ratio, its fairly wide, but the stock bike IS geared low.

Both bikes are air cooled thumpers.

Both are standard naked bikes, the TU is 18-18 inch wheels, 19 front will work better in the dirt.

Both are light weight, but the TU is not real narrow, not the gas tank at least.

Both might be under powered, but there seems to be nothing you can do to get any more power out of a TU.

The TU sucks in the dirt, as bad as any 300 pound bike can. Its light, has a great motor, but the front suspension and 18 inch wheel make it very nasty on anything but smooth hard dirt. The shifter and brake pedal stick WAY out waiting to be broken, the foot pegs bend down easy, the headlight and gas tank will be toast in any crash.

The TU is very good 2 up for its size, its quite amazing in that respect.

The TU is simple to work on, and it never seems to need any work.

Both bikes are light, so both are nimble.

I do NOT need a rear disk, the drum work very well for me, never needs anything, maybe for the life of the bike.

I would LOVE a real tach, rev limiter or not.

One other thing that might set the TU above older bikes is that it LOVES to be abused, run at high rpm and full throttle for hours, it is smooth and runs cool in the hottest weather, and has things like cam bearings and a long lasting plated bore.

I had a thing for the 250 Ascot when they were new.
They were dirt cheap new, and although I had a Bonneville, I almost charged a new one when I went ot buy a tube at the Honda dealer.
I think they were something like $1200.00 new. I liked the look.

Some of the Ascot bikes had starter problems, but I do not remember if it was the 250 or 500's.

Enjoy the fun new bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDaksi View Post

Although they are somewhat different stylistically in appearance, here's how I think the two bikes are similar:

-Both are close ratio gear 5-speeds.
-Both are air cooled thumpers.
-Standard bikes set up for upright riding posture (19" front wheel and 18"rear).
-Lightweight and narrow.
-Both are notoriously "underpowered", but can easily be tweaked for improved performance.
-Street-oriented but with dirt road/light trail possibilities.
-Comfortable for 2-up riding despite small size (seats seem very similar).
-Simple to work on.
-Both have nimble road handling.

FT500 features that tu250 owners often say they would like to have:

-A few more cubic inches to make straight highway riding a bit more confident.
-rear disc brake.
-tachometer (really not needed on the tu250 because of rev limiter).

Best features (in my opinion...) of the tu250 that the FT500 does not have:

-Fuel injection
-larger fuel tank.
-Better mpg (FT500 tops out at 65mpg).
-Wire spoke wheels vs. alloy.
-Rev limiter.
-Greater reliability -the FT500 has some quirky problems.
-New bike still in production vs. only a two year run in the USA

Anyway, I think these motorcycles are very comparable and I wish there were more bikes available with their features. What do you all think. Have a made a fair assessment?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #7502
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Ascot 500cc Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

I had a thing for the 250 Ascot when they were new.

Some of the Ascot bikes had starter problems, but I do not remember if it was the 250 or 500's.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Honda NX250? There wasn't a 250cc version of the Ascot. Just the single cylinder FT and the V-twin VT500 which is my favorite of the two.

FT Ascots do have starter issues (and no kickstart). Also very common to weep oil around the head. Otherwise, great bikes.

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #7503
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Honda NX250? There wasn't a 250cc version of the Ascot. Just the single cylinder FT and the V-twin VT500 which is my favorite of the two.

FT Ascots do have starter issues (and no kickstart). Also very common to weep oil around the head. Otherwise, great bikes.

Or maybe the SR250/SR500 pair.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #7504
NJ-Brett
Brett

Looking on the web, I guess it was the 500 single cylinder.
I remember it was red, had 2 exhaust headers, and looked nice.

This does not say very good things about one though:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyer...ot-VF500FT.htm
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #7505
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I hope to have the chance to eventually do a side by side comparison of these two bikes. The FT500 has known mechanical issues, but it also has its devotees who have figured out preventative maintenance and fixes to help prevent the major problems (like the starter and stripped cam cover bolts).

I won't be ready to purcase a tu250 until this summer, and It's hard to pass up on such a good trade for the FT500. Besides, I'm itching for a winter project. I may be a bit off in some of my comparisons, but at the very least these bikes seem to be kindred spirits.

I forgot to mention one difference between the two in a characteristic that Brett has brought up a few times on this thread, and that is crash worthiness. According to many, the FT500 seems to withstand minor crashes fairly well, which gives it an improvement in comparison to the tu250.

BlueDaksi screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 09:58 PM
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #7506
whooo?
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Looking on the web, I guess it was the 500 single cylinder.
I remember it was red, had 2 exhaust headers, and looked nice.

This does not say very good things about one though:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/buyer...ot-VF500FT.htm
I looked up a couple of bikes I know about on that site. They have very inaccurate information. I would not trust anything they say.
whooo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #7507
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooo? View Post
I looked up a couple of bikes I know about on that site. They have very inaccurate information. I would not trust anything they say.
I have heard the same things independently about the FT500.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #7508
NJ-Brett
Brett

I would not let anything put me off getting a bike I liked.
With a bit of brain power and research, there is not much that can not be fixed or improved.

That is not to say I would love the bike, I never rode one so I do not know.
People love/hate the SR400/SR500 bikes, and many say they are really nasty at higher speeds/rpm's.
I might own one anyway.

The Honda might be smoother then those bikes, but even so, it might not be happy at being abused.
The TU seems to love whatever you do to it, so it might be nicer at 70 mph then many older singles and even some twins (like my old Daytona).
Its a rare older bike that likes being abused all the time, and even some modern bikes do not like it at all, the KLR650 and TW200 come to mind (older design newer bikes).

If I had a kayak, I would surely trade it for the Ascot!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #7509
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

I couldn't pass on the bike and picked it up Today. I'll save the details for the ADV Ascot Owners Forum. Suffice it to say that it's mostly complete, but has some dings here and there. Yet another feature it has that would be great to have on the tu250 is a center stand.

have the rest of winter to get it back in shape though. You should note that this one is the fast version of the two available colors that it came in from the factory!

Quote:
I would not let anything put me off getting a bike I liked.
With a bit of brain power and research, there is not much that can not be fixed or improved.

That is not to say I would love the bike, I never rode one so I do not know.
People love/hate the SR400/SR500 bikes, and many say they are really nasty at higher speeds/rpm's.
I might own one anyway.

The Honda might be smoother then those bikes, but even so, it might not be happy at being abused.
The TU seems to love whatever you do to it, so it might be nicer at 70 mph then many older singles and even some twins (like my old Daytona).
Its a rare older bike that likes being abused all the time, and even some modern bikes do not like it at all, the KLR650 and TW200 come to mind (older design newer bikes).

If I had a kayak, I would surely trade it for the Ascot!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #7510
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
It looks like it's in pretty good shape. Enjoy it.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #7511
NJ-Brett
Brett

Yes, let us know how it goes...
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #7512
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
It looks like it's in pretty good shape. Enjoy it.

Ryan

Quote:
Yes, let us know how it goes...
Thanks guys. I originally posted here about the FT500 to make the comparison to the TU250, at least where they could be made. :) I posted the details on the Ascot Owners Forum, but will summarize because Brett asked. After working on her all day, she fired right up on the first crank! I took her for a short spin and EVERYTHING works - she'd pass NY State inspection if I took her in tomorrow. Now that I know she'll run, the real work begins to go completely through the bike and get her in top condition. Here's a link to the details if you're interested....

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=157

So, it looks like I'm going to have fun with the FT500, but I still see a TU250 in my future!

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #7513
Slapie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
The ol ascot

My first bike was an 82 ascot 500. The electric start was a tricky situation. Finding parts is hard but not impossible (for everything besides the electric start that is ) Don't be afraid to invest in some heilcoils. Make sure you watch some YouTube vids on making gaskets. You've got a great ol bike there but the ease of maintence made the switch to the TU a no brainer for me.
Slapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #7514
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
This past Saturday, I rode my TU down with some other riders for a Two Wheeled Texans "Pie Run". There were 8 bikes that rode down from Arlington, TX to Hico, TX to gather at the Koffee Kup to eat some delicious homemade pie, drink coffee and talk bikes. I was one of the smallest displacement bikes to make the run (beat out only by a TW200 that rode in from Denton and a Zuma 125 scooter that belonged to the cafe's owner):

I wasn't the only TU there, surprisingly. JRW69 from the TU250riders forum came up from San Antonio to join us. All in all, I believe there were 77 bikes parked out front of the cafe!

"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #7515
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
looks like yall had a lot of fun

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote