Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #7516
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 495
You Texans are making me jealous. I'm looking outside at a foot of snow, with a freezing rain topping. Just perfect for a motorcycle ride. There is nothing to do here this time of year except...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #7517
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,112
Well, how did it feel, comfort, vibration, handling?
Great that it needed so little to get it going.
It looks good also, so much better then the modern bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDaksi View Post
Thanks guys. I originally posted here about the FT500 to make the comparison to the TU250, at least where they could be made. :) I posted the details on the Ascot Owners Forum, but will summarize because Brett asked. After working on her all day, she fired right up on the first crank! I took her for a short spin and EVERYTHING works - she'd pass NY State inspection if I took her in tomorrow. Now that I know she'll run, the real work begins to go completely through the bike and get her in top condition. Here's a link to the details if you're interested....

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=157

So, it looks like I'm going to have fun with the FT500, but I still see a TU250 in my future!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #7518
NJ-Brett
Brett

Last weekend was the first one I did not get any riding in, snow, salt, very cold.
I want to move someplace warmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNbiker View Post
You Texans are making me jealous. I'm looking outside at a foot of snow, with a freezing rain topping. Just perfect for a motorcycle ride. There is nothing to do here this time of year except...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7519
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Awesome! It looks like you rep'd the virtue of the TU250 well and had a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
This past Saturday, I rode my TU down with some other riders for a Two Wheeled Texans "Pie Run". There were 8 bikes that rode down from Arlington, TX to Hico, TX to gather at the Koffee Kup to eat some delicious homemade pie, drink coffee and talk bikes. I was one of the smallest displacement bikes to make the run (beat out only by a TW200 that rode in from Denton and a Zuma 125 scooter that belonged to the cafe's owner):

I wasn't the only TU there, surprisingly. JRW69 from the TU250riders forum came up from San Antonio to join us. All in all, I believe there were 77 bikes parked out front of the cafe!

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #7520
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Well, how did it feel, comfort, vibration, handling?
Great that it needed so little to get it going.
It looks good also, so much better then the modern bikes.
Brett, I have just taken it down the road in front of my house and on my property a bit, so I haven't yet had the chance to truly evaluate it. However, from driving it around in wet and muddy conditions I can say that the bike feels very light, agile and easy to ride. I tore around on some wet grass and mud a bit and whenever it felt like the rear was going to going to spin out, it was second nature to go with it and adjust the throttle to power through the slide. It is a very well balance bike. The most experience I've had riding was on a Honda CX500 custom, and the FT500 is altogether a different experience. The FT500 almost begs to be confidently ridden in an aggressive manner. As you mentioned previously, as a quirky 30+ year-old bike, it's never going to be able to handle the abuse or be bullet-proof dependable like the TU250. Nevertheless, I think I'm falling in love with it!

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

BlueDaksi screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 08:08 PM
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #7521
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, that is like most thumpers, light and nimble.
The big question is how it does at 70 mph, and how it holds up.
I think besides the starter, they are supposed to be good.
Not quite as good as the sr500 maybe, but maybe smoother then those bikes.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #7522
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Quote:
Well, that is like most thumpers, light and nimble.
The big question is how it does at 70 mph, and how it holds up.
I think besides the starter, they are supposed to be good.
Not quite as good as the sr500 maybe, but maybe smoother then those bikes.
Could be. I haven't ridden many thumpers unless you count a 1965 Honda Trail 90 (wish I still had it!) and a Suzuki A 100 (70s model, can't remember what year - maybe 1974?) - on either count, not really comparable to the FT500. The rest include various small to mid- displacement twin cylinders, including a 1969 Honda Super Sport CB160 and the previously mentioned Honda CX500 custom (Although I did get to ride my Dad's full-dress Moto-Guzzi 850...ONCE LOL - I really don't like larger bikes).

If the FT500 is simply indicative of what mid-displacement thumpers are all about, I like what I've experienced so far. To me, somewhere between 250cc and 500cc seems to be a sweet spot for road-worthy bikes in my opinion. I've often heard that some folks consider thumpers in this range of displacement, as "niche" bikes. To me they represent what riding motorcycles is all about, so I guess I've found my niche. The main point being that if I'm going to hang my ass on something with only two wheels, I don't want it to outweigh me by a quarter-ton, and I damn sure want it to move immediately when I want it to move, and where I want it to move, quickly, without feeling like I'm trying to steer a freight train. Too much power on a small bike (as fun as that might be...) or too much mass, regardless of power is just asking for trouble.

BTW, the FT500 motor has a balancer in the crankcase, unlike the motors found in the XR500 and XL500 upon which it was based. This supposedly reduces the vibration quite a bit. I'll give a report once I have the chance to get it out on the open road for some longer rides - may be awhile because I'm taking my time to get it set up how I want it before putting it into full-time duty.

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

BlueDaksi screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 10:07 AM
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #7523
NJ-Brett
Brett

If you like it, that is all that counts.
I never got a ride on an FT500 or an SR500, but would love to try all thumpers.
I did get a ride on an old xt500 (very old) and while it was fun, I would not want to ride one on the street much.
The one I rode was a rough beast, lots of vibration, rough suspension, plenty of weight, very fun power.
It was a friends, and out on a ride he crashed and dislocated his shoulder, so I let him ride my xt250, which was easy, lighter, smooth and had better suspension.
I rode his beast out.

Let us know how it goes with the bike.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #7524
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

How true. It has not escaped my attention that there are more than a few opinionated riders out there who seem to think that if you're doing it wrong (folks on this thread being an exception). To each his/her own, I say!

I've searched the forums intensively, and this appears to be the predominant thread when it comes to a group who gravitate towards UJM style mid-size standard bikes. if I've missed a thread, please point me in that direction. The TU250 fits this bill in an updated way.

I really wasn't on the lookout specifically for the FT500 specifically, but I could not pass up on the deal. So far, it has been an incredibly easy bike to work on. I can't seem to keep my hands off of her, and part of the adventure is getting a bike fixed up, tuned in, and seeing how it will perform.

I have a feeling there are more UJM standard style motorcycles in my future (vintage and modern). Hopefully a TU250 will be among them in the not too distant future.

Quote:
If you like it, that is all that counts.
I never got a ride on an FT500 or an SR500, but would love to try all thumpers.
I did get a ride on an old xt500 (very old) and while it was fun, I would not want to ride one on the street much.
The one I rode was a rough beast, lots of vibration, rough suspension, plenty of weight, very fun power.
It was a friends, and out on a ride he crashed and dislocated his shoulder, so I let him ride my xt250, which was easy, lighter, smooth and had better suspension.
I rode his beast out.

Let us know how it goes with the bike.

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 AM   #7525
NJ-Brett
Brett

I would NOT have passed up that deal, even if the FT was in much worse shape.

As good (and fun) as the TU is, it is not my ideal bike, which I am still looking for.

My ideal bike would be a 350 I think, a little bigger in overall size, and better in the dirt, but still nice for 2 up rides.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #7526
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
actual rim width - not tire size

Does anyone know the actual rim width
-
inside to inside of metal rim?
NOT tire size
, but the rim width ?

I think the number is sometimes stamped in the rim.
Probably would be something like 1.5 or 2.0 etc.
Front = 18 x ??
Rear = 18 x ??

thanks
Sean

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #7527
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Anyone have factory headlight brackets for sale? Are the forks 33mm?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #7528
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Just broke the thousand k's mark and took a passenger on for the first time. I'm surprised at how well the little bike handled the passenger, didn't seem to bother the tu at all, neither does the wet, and I think the engine is just starting to get good.

I've also got a cheap canvas bags to use as saddlebags (they were just the right amount of retro) has anyone put together bag racks for these bikes yet?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #7529
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Enz0,

ManRacks or CycleRacks make racks for the TU. I have a CycleRacks with a RubberMaid Action Packer 8 gal box ..
Pictures of both racks are posted on TU250 Riders.com.
MagyarMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #7530
whooo?
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I see Suzuki is again offering 0% financing. Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that I can not afford more that a thousand bucks or so for a bike. Too bad, the TU250X would have been perfect for my needs. SIGH!
whooo? is offline   Reply With Quote