Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #7546
TU_Boogaloo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I ride in a firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket and olympia airglide pants most of the time. Never had issues with leakage, except into my boots occasionally. This is mostly due to the pants not being quite long enough and my boots being too short (just cheap timberland hiking boots).
Both pieces are pretty spacious for me so they leave plenty of room for layering if needed.
TU_Boogaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #7547
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
On Wednesday, it was sunny and fair temps for February, so I went for a ride. First in the morning I went to my nearby accessory dealer to pick up the bar end mirrors (bikemaster copies of the CRG) I had ordered. It was maybe a 15 mile round trip. I mounted them up and decided to go back out after lunch. I went a little farther, and was feeling a bit un- inspired on the TU. There were a few hills that the bike just didn't want to go up, I felt in the way in traffic, and just kinda felt "off" and un impressed by the TU. The low fuel light came on at 160 miles since I last filled up. I filled up at 175. I only got 60 mpg. That didn't help my fading enthusiam for the TU. I stopped by my local Honda / Suzuki dealer on the way home. I checked out the Honda NC700X. The sales guy told me to not even bother looking at it since I had a Vstrom, and he preferred the 'Strom by a large margin. I did need to pick up a small part for the 'strom, so I went to the parts counter, and they didn't have it. So I went home and put the bike away. I think I rode 50 miles total.

Yesterday I was doing some work near a Harley dealer. I haven't been in a HD shop for years. This was a new(ish) dealer, was very nice, and busy.
I don't really know why I stopped in, other than something to do since I was nearby. I didn't see anything that was interesting to me, but looking around was fun. I did see a '09 XR1200 that really caught me by surprise.
I came home and did some quick research, and even thought about trading the TU. If I were ever to buy a Harley, it would be an XR1200. It is actually the only one that has ever interested me.

So today it was nice out again, and decided a ride was imperative.
I thought about the DRZ, since it doesn't get ridden much, or the 'Strom. But the TU was by the door, so out we went.

There were a lot of bikes out today. I guess since it is a weekend and temps in the 50's, that is to be expected. I rode many of the same roads I rode on Wednesday. The TU seemed happy to charge the hills. Everything seemed better. I even detoured on the way home and added a few more miles. I found some new (to me) roads and had a enjoyable ride. I was never uncomfortable, and the bike ran great.

I suppose the point of this rambling is that if something doesn't seem right or one gets a rash urge to change for no real reason, other than change. It may be better to wait and see how things feel a day or so later. The only thing that really changed with my two rides was my mental attitude.
I'm sure I could have been on any bike on the first ride, and felt the same uneasiness and frustration. And I'm sure I could as easily ridden anything today and been just as happy and content.
I really like the TU, and got it because of its minimalism. I don't think a 1200 cc 80+ HP bike of any sort promotes the back to basics feeling the TU gives me. I certainly don't need more debt or expenses. I'm glad I waited and didn't give in to a quick impulse. I'm sure the XR is a fun machine, and maybe one day I'll have a chance to see what is like to ride one. But for now, I'm happy with the TU.

Thanks for letting me get that out.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #7548
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,120
I have had a few rides where I did not feel into the ride, but I have a LOT less of those on the TU then other bikes.
Some bikes I have had I often did not bother going out.
Also, I think the TU really loves the heat. The bike and I both do a lot better when its hot out.

Of recent bikes, I think the new Bonneville triggered the not into the ride feelings the most.
The 1200 sportster, while uncomfortable and heavy, had the torque and sound to be fun most of the time.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #7549
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 193
I appreciate those comments above.

This morning, riding my TU to work on the interstate, I encountered some really strong headwinds. Felt like riding into water moving in the opposite direction... I swear at one point I was only going 55mph, WOT. That would lead some to feel the TU was not adequate, but I can only count the number of occasions like that on one hand. Most of the time, my TU250X is always up to any job, performs flawlessly, and leaves me smiling.
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #7550
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thanks for the info on the rain gear! I will be riding my bicycle most places in the city or walking if need be but would like to take the bike if I want without to much extra planning.

A little update on my TU I recently put on the new rear tire that I had posted a pic of a couple pages back. The stock tire lasted till 7700 miles and probably could have lasted till 8k or more but I felt I was already pushing it and was really anxious to try the new tire! The new tire size is 4.00x18 I wasn't sure if it would be bigger or same size since some brands vary slightly on measurements. Also from the charts that i was looking at to convert the imperial to metric measurements that was the closest size I thought. The new tire is slightly larger which is fine however now I feel that the gearing might just be too tall since the big did seem to struggle a bit on the freeway today at 65mph, everyone does about 70-75 so that doesn't help much. However since Im moving soon to the PNW the speed limit is 55 for most freeways from what I know. The tire really stiffened up the rear I feel which is probably due to a stiffer sidewall and I feel the tire is also a bit stickier which is nice. We will see how many miles this one lasts.

-2011 TU250
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #7551
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, what gearing are you running (sprockets)?

Going any bigger in tire with the 16-41 setup will not work.
With just the 16 it should not make much difference at all, but you have to ride a little different, rev the motor out more in each gear, tuck in a bit in bad situations, etc.
And winter is not TU top speed season.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #7552
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Got back from my break in service.

Strangely the bike will still occasionally cut out if I snap the throttle shut and have the clutch in, only seems to happen at the beginning of a ride so maybe I just need to warm it up for another minute or so.

Engine is breaking in nicely (but I think it will get a smoother after another thousand km's) and this is still my favorite bike to ride in the rain by a long margin. Also, my favorite to ride through traffic, and to commute on.

Next up a regear and if that works as well as I think it will I imagine I'll sell the klr and just have this for the road..... and maybe pick up a kdx200 or xt225 for the woods.

Life is good, ride safe
Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #7553
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I have the 16-41 gearing, I might leave it on for a bit more and see how it works but will most likely change back to 16-43

Winter here is usually in the 70's though so it wasnt too cold out, I notice when its in the 50s thats when I can notice the bike slowing down just a bit compared to when its warm.

-2011 TU250
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #7554
Valkiera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
There were a few hills that the bike just didn't want to go up, I felt in the way in traffic, and just kinda felt "off" and un impressed by the TU. The low fuel light came on at 160 miles since I last filled up. I filled up at 175. I only got 60 mpg.

Ryan

Could your gas have been old too? Adding to the less than enjoyable ride and performance?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #7555
NJ-Brett
Brett

Its somewhat odd to close the throttle with the clutch pulled in.
Most bikes I have had would stall doing that.

You can turn the throttle stop open a bit more to prevent most stalling.

The TU IS fantastic in the rain!
And you likely have another 2500 miles to go before its running its best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
Got back from my break in service.

Strangely the bike will still occasionally cut out if I snap the throttle shut and have the clutch in, only seems to happen at the beginning of a ride so maybe I just need to warm it up for another minute or so.

Engine is breaking in nicely (but I think it will get a smoother after another thousand km's) and this is still my favorite bike to ride in the rain by a long margin. Also, my favorite to ride through traffic, and to commute on.

Next up a regear and if that works as well as I think it will I imagine I'll sell the klr and just have this for the road..... and maybe pick up a kdx200 or xt225 for the woods.

Life is good, ride safe
Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #7556
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,107
My TU fund is faltering a little, but eventually I'll get there. I don't need another bike...the three I have are fine, but I want a TU250. I think it might become my main ride.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #7557
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
My TU fund is faltering a little, but eventually I'll get there. I don't need another bike...the three I have are fine, but I want a TU250. I think it might become my main ride.
NEED!!!? What does that have to do with anything?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #7558
EastKY_DO
Doc

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick View Post
need!!!? What does that have to do with anything?
+1
EastKY_DO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #7559
NJ-Brett
Brett

If you look around, you can get a low mile used fast red TU for under $3000.00, sometimes well under that.
I think I heard of one going for $2500.00.
That is a lot of fun for the money.

I often think about the TU when I see other bikes.
I paid $3000.00 for mine, and some guys have way more than that in just chrome and skull heads on their bikes, and I KNOW I am having way more fun then they are, and putting more miles on my bike....

They also get 45 mpg, pay lots more for insurance, tires, oil, service, plus they paid more (or way more) then 4 times what the TU costs for their bikes.

I suspect some bikes are ment to impress others, and are not really about the fun of riding, and more about being seen riding something 'nice'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #7560
NJ-Brett
Brett

If the new tire is taller at all, you would need to go back to the 16-43.
With the stock tire size, 16-41 is on the edge of being ok, even in flat sea level South Jersey, and you sometimes need to use 4th gear to get any speed above 60 mph.
Any bigger of a tire kills it.
But 16-43 and a bigger tire is good, its sort of my sport option, its between the 16-41 and the 16-43.

It goes like this:

Stock, 15-43, silly low and no good for anything really. It would be fine around town but 1st gear is too low.

16-43, better but still to low in my book.

16-43 and bigger rear tire, spot on for performance and high speed riding.

16-41 and stock tire size, on the edge, quick take offs need clutch work, 5th gear will not always do. Very nice at speed though.

16-41, bigger rear tire, too tall for the power the TU has, 5th gear is useless above 55 or 60 mph unless going down hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Scoot View Post
I have the 16-41 gearing, I might leave it on for a bit more and see how it works but will most likely change back to 16-43

Winter here is usually in the 70's though so it wasnt too cold out, I notice when its in the 50s thats when I can notice the bike slowing down just a bit compared to when its warm.