Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #7561
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkiera View Post
Could your gas have been old too? Adding to the less than enjoyable ride and performance?
It was only about a week old. I rode it on a 100+ mile trip on the previous ride. When I filled up after getting the 60mpg, I did use premium. Maybe that made a bit of difference. I think it was mostly mental. I think I'm ready for spring.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #7562
Valkiera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
I think I'm ready for spring.

Ryan
I can't agree more !
Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #7563
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
If you look around, you can get a low mile used fast red TU for under $3000.00, sometimes well under that.
I think I heard of one going for $2500.00.
That is a lot of fun for the money.

I often think about the TU when I see other bikes.
I paid $3000.00 for mine, and some guys have way more than that in just chrome and skull heads on their bikes, and I KNOW I am having way more fun then they are, and putting more miles on my bike....

They also get 45 mpg, pay lots more for insurance, tires, oil, service, plus they paid more (or way more) then 4 times what the TU costs for their bikes.

I suspect some bikes are ment to impress others, and are not really about the fun of riding, and more about being seen riding something 'nice'.
And you forgot to add that despite its low cost, the TU can draw a crowd as well as any bike costing 4 x as much with skull heads and chrome. Most people assume its a restored late 60's or early 70's classic. I think that really bothers the chrome and skull head guys. Last summer, while out for a ride with my buddy and his bobber we stopped at a resteraunt for lunch. These two cute girls in their mid 20's came over and were asking me all sorts of questions about my cool "restored" bike, while the bobber (which IS actually a cool bike) sat ignored. I know it pissed him off. Too bad we were both old enough to be their Dad's (and married) lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #7564
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
Everyone who talked to me about the TU asked what year it is.
A very few sharp people who got a close look knew it was more modern, as it has disk brakes and other modern clues.

I then launch into my spiel, about the low price, 80 mpg, trouble free, light, fun, etc...

If it was a 500, it would even get some respect.

I once had someone walk by and say to his friend that my bike would be great for his wife.
I said its great for anyone who is learning to ride, and that I just started last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNbiker View Post
And you forgot to add that despite its low cost, the TU can draw a crowd as well as any bike costing 4 x as much with skull heads and chrome. Most people assume its a restored late 60's or early 70's classic. I think that really bothers the chrome and skull head guys. Last summer, while out for a ride with my buddy and his bobber we stopped at a resteraunt for lunch. These two cute girls in their mid 20's came over and were asking me all sorts of questions about my cool "restored" bike, while the bobber (which IS actually a cool bike) sat ignored. I know it pissed him off. Too bad we were both old enough to be their Dad's (and married) lol.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #7565
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I love these standard bikes. I have semi been following this thread. Some of you guys amaze me with how hard and far you push this little bike. I know its not good to run a little engine just flat out all the time but some of you guys have no choice on your commutes ect.

Has anybody blown an engine yet? What kind of miles could the average guy expect out of one of these? I got side tracked the other night and read where a guy road a Rebel 250 around the country. He held it wide open ever mile on the interstate loaded down. It never missed a beat. Of all things he changed the oil on his last leg of the trip and left the drain plug loose and lost all the oil and locked it up.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #7566
NJ-Brett
Brett

I expect to get about 80,000 miles out of the top end before it needs something.

Keep in mind, it runs cool, has a low rev limiter for a modern 250, it holds plenty of oil and has a BIG filter, its got bearings on everything, even the cam, its got a plated bore, and it does not make a lot of power, its a broad power band, and power falls off about 1500 rpm before the low rev limiter, so even at full throttle tucked in for hours, you are not pushing the motor at all.
18,000 miles on mine and its needed nothing.

The TU is nothing like most other bikes like KLR's, or TW200's, and other older designs, it uses no oil under the worst conditions, and after riding the bike full throttle for hours on a 100F day I measure the oil temp at 182F.
The TU actually seems to run better and is more happy the hotter it gets outside.

For new top end parts, its about $400.00 for piston, rings, wrist pin, cylinder and gaskets.
You can also pick up a low mile salvage bike or MSF bike for dirt cheap, and have spare wheels, motor, etc.

If I was going cross country on my TU, I would check the front brakes, do the chain and sprockets as the salt tore up my chain, change the oil, check the valves, and go.
It would be time to change the oil on the West coast.

The only parts I would take is a new oil filter.
The tools that come with the bike would be more then enough to take.

If the TU has oil in it, you can not hurt it no matter what you do to it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #7567
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
Agreed. Running the TU wide open on the freeway isn't hurting it at all. I rode to band practice the other night, wearing my bass guitar in a gig bag on my back. And the TU was just tearing along at a real 65-70mph, even with that big sail of a bass sticking up into the wind! Even though I was topped out, the motor didn't seem to be straining. Just spinning along happily.
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #7568
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Thats amazing. What is the oil capacity on one of these? Brettnj what kind of oil are you using and how often do you change it? I didnt know it had a filter. I dont know about 80K but these things are obviously pretty dang tough. I may have to look for one of these used since my pocket book it hurting right now. I want too many motorcycles and dont have enough money.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #7569
Roadfinder
Always Learning

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Thats amazing. What is the oil capacity on one of these? Brettnj what kind of oil are you using and how often do you change it? I didnt know it had a filter. I dont know about 80K but these things are obviously pretty dang tough. I may have to look for one of these used since my pocket book it hurting right now. I want too many motorcycles and dont have enough money.
Engine oil, without filter change .......................................... 1400 ml (1.5 US qt)
With filter change .................................................. ............... 1500 ml (1.6 US qt)

Owners Manual recommends oil change every 3,000 miles, filter every 6,000 miles. I use Shell Rotella Triple T 15 w 40 diesel oil, many owners will use many other types. I prefer the dino over synthetic based on my experiences with my Miata hydraulic valve lifters preference. As long as the clutch doesn't slip, I think you could use any brand name oil if it's changed regularly.
Roadfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #7570
NJ-Brett
Brett

I change the oil when it gets dark in the sight glass, likely around 1500 miles, and do the filter every 3rd change.
The filters are always clean, as is the sump.

My bike had the least amount of break in metal in the sump of any bike I ever had, and I did the hard break in (ignored it after 50 miles).

I bounce off the rev limiter, speed shift, ride full throttle most of the time and the bike seems to like it.
I can only hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gear.

I also do a bit of 2 up riding and we outweigh the bike, but the bike does not care, even the suspension is good for the weight, unlike most other bikes I have had (much bigger bikes).

Sometimes you can get a low mile used bike for about $2500.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #7571
malice666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Renewed my insurance.

Started riding last year and signed up with progressive at the dealer and the cost was $270 for the year. This year I renewed and it went down to $84 for the year. Awesome!!!
malice666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #7572
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Well it's official the TU is my only vehicle now. I just sold my car last week. Since the bike is my only vehicle I decided to put the rear seat back on stock shocks back on and raised it back up so I would be able to carry a bag or a passenger. I really liked how it rode with the shorter shocks in bobber mode but now it feels almost like a new bike again since the feel is so different. Here is a picture of the bike already had to carry something today.

-2011 TU250

Blue Scoot screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 01:34 PM
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #7573
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I'm a little bit jealous, but there is 12" of snow on the ground right now.
I've gone over a week without driving my car in the summer, but I'm not quite ready to give it up. I have a daughter, and a bike is not always the best way to travel with a kid. A 13 year old 200,000 mile Subaru is a handy thing to have.

Have you considered one of the Manracks rear fender racks? I don't like the "behind the taillight" style rack on a bike like the TU, but the fender rack with no rear seat looks pretty good. That and a courier bag should handle about anything a guy should need to carry on a bike.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #7574
jimmr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
I'm a little bit jealous, but there is 12" of snow on the ground right now.
I've gone over a week without driving my car in the summer, but I'm not quite ready to give it up. I have a daughter, and a bike is not always the best way to travel with a kid. A 13 year old 200,000 mile Subaru is a handy thing to have.

Have you considered one of the Manracks rear fender racks? I don't like the "behind the taillight" style rack on a bike like the TU, but the fender rack with no rear seat looks pretty good. That and a courier bag should handle about anything a guy should need to carry on a bike.

Ryan
Get a Manracks over the taillight rack, it doesn't look out of place without a topbox on, and will let you keep the rear seat for passenger and/or stuff.
jimmr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #7575
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
Partially because I'm cheap, mostly because I'm a minimalist- everything I've ever needed to carry on the TU fits in my backpack or large duffel bag. Including produce from our Co-Op or a weeks groceries for a family of three... :)
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote