Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #7576
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I will be interested as well to see how I do with the TU only but I sold my car because I'm selling off most of my stuff before my move and really just simplifying my life right now. I will be moving in the next month or so and am going to start fresh in a new place so the less clutter the better.

That is a good idea on the rear rack though I hadn't really though about getting one. I usually use the ROK straps or that little cargo net I picked up.

-2011 TU250
Blue Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #7577
TomSXM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
This is the way it is as of yesterday....and btw, we need WAY more pics in this thread!!
More pictures? I suppose I can help with that I bought a Tux a few weeks ago and decided to not leave it very stock at all...

I'm not finished entirely yet but I will be by the end of the week. Anyway, here is what I've got so far.

Right after delivery, the first official ride:

Most of the new bits:

New tyres:

New colour:

Put back together apart from the rear fender, which is done along with the tyres. The tank pads are put on though:

Finished rear (fender, tyre, rack, sprockets) and waiting for the installation of the front tyre and fork boots, which ought to be done later this week. Apologies for the awful picture quality. Bad lighting + mobile phone = meh.

I'll post more as it comes together
TomSXM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #7578
TomSXM
Adventurer

My little Tux I just received back from the shop today after some... minor modifications

Enjoy!

TomSXM screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 02:30 PM
Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #7579
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
Looking good there Tom. I love the TU in black, even though if I painted my fast red one it would slow it down. Maybe British Racing Green??
Old 03-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #7580
TomSXM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNbiker View Post
Looking good there Tom. I love the TU in black, even though if I painted my fast red one it would slow it down. Maybe British Racing Green??
I was thinking about BRG too but decided to go with black because that'd match the frame on the '12. The fast red's frame would work very well with BRG though! It'd be a nice contrast.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #7581
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSXM View Post
My little Tux I just received back from the shop today after some... minor modifications

Nice work that turned out great!
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #7582
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Wow, that looks great! If I owned a TU I'd be in the garage right now stripping it for paint.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #7583
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Looks 1930ish.Nice.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #7584
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Beautiful job!! It's not my personal style but I can sure appreciate the thought and execution! If only there were rear-springs with the caps availible I think it would be a fantastic 'finishing touch' on your bike. Wishing you many trouble-free and enjoyable miles on what has all the looks of a classic
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #7585
Guttooth71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Original Sprockets

Since I do not need these anymore, does anyone want both front and rear OEM sprockets for 20$ shipped? Less than 250 miles on them, changed gearing early on. pm me if interested

Guttooth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #7586
pullmanDave
2 Lane Tourer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSXM View Post
That is a really nice looking modification. With more fender and knobby tires, what kind of terrain are you planning on riding in/on?

Dave
pullmanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #7587
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
If you add a white pinstripe you could have a modern day BMW R26.
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #7588
TomSXM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmanDave View Post
That is a really nice looking modification. With more fender and knobby tires, what kind of terrain are you planning on riding in/on?

Dave
Thanks!

I didn't care much for the stock tyres at all but the Shinko 244 that are installed now probably will never see anything beyond gravel roads and grass. The look of them on the Tux just works great and the ride quality is very nice so it's a win/win in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyarMan View Post
If you add a white pinstripe you could have a modern day BMW R26.
It's never too late to add, haha.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #7589
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Last week I took my TU from Chandler, AZ to Las Vegas, NV for a couple of days. A few things, most of the speed limit was 65 however there were a couple parts with the speed limit up to 75mph. I just happened to choose a day that was really windy which did not make the trip very enjoyable, 20-30mph winds mostly headwinds. My bike has a 4.00x18 rear tire which looks a bit larger than the stock one and 16T front sprocket with the stock rear. I was in 3rd and 4th gear almost the entire trip which made the trip more of a struggle than fun. I know I was asking a lot out of the little TU to go on this almost 700 mile round trip but decided to try it out anyways. The TU is my only form of transportation besides my bicycle but I really wanted to get away for a couple days and had some free rooms available. I took only a backpack with a change of clothes and my riding gear.

A couple of things I realized was this bike is definitely not a highway cruiser but will get you there if needed. I think the hills in combination with the head wind was the real downside. My gas mileage was about 55-60 which is to be expected since it was almost at redline most of the time and WOT. I realized I want to get a bigger bike if I were to do more trips like this. So I went to the dealership and sat on a few bikes. I really like the Harley Iron which is the 883 sportster. It was very comfortable with lots more room than the TU but this was just sitting on the showroom floor, Im not sure what it would be like on the open road for a few hours but I would imagine its about if not more comfortable than the TU for me.

Im not bashing the TU at all because I know what its limitations are I just thought I would share this incase anyone wanted to know.

The trip back home was great though I had a tail wind of about 20-30mph and was doing 80 indicated sitting straight up almost the entire way home using 5th most of the time.

-2011 TU250
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #7590
Blue Scoot
Adventurer

Here is a pic of my rear tire I think it looks great with the TU's styling its a Duro HF318

-2011 TU250