Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #7606
Ballbearing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Well, I joined the club a few days ago and got a 2012. I trailered it home and haven't had the chance to ride yet.

So tonight I was looking over the bike and noticed that the oil level was at the very bottom of the sight window. I did as instructed: 3 minute warm up, shut down, wait three minutes, check oil level when bike is level. Apparently the dealer (who is an hour away) forgot, or failed, to do a pre-delivery inspection. Guess I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.
I read a few posts so far in this thread and didn't notice if that was a common occurrence, but I did read about a few instances of bikes being sent out with low oil levels on the TU250 rider site. I'm not a fan of the sight glass method. I don't feel too confident knowing that a few degrees to one side or the other can make a big difference. I had my wife sit on the bike to make sure it was upright so I'm pretty sure that was as accurate as it's going to get. Maybe I'm being too anal? I've been accused of that before.

Hopefully everything else was put together correctly, but I'm gonna start checking. It doesn't really give me a good feeling about the dealership. I understand that mistakes can, and do, happen though because I make them myself everyday.

Otherwise, I'm excited to get this thing broken in and ready for spring...if it ever gets here.
Ballbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #7607
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Mr Bearing,

Welcome to the TU scene.

When I got my TU I checked it all over and the only thing I found amiss was the speedometer cable guide loop was on backwards.

Call the dealer and let him know,so he can let the assembling mechanic know.

I would add a bit of oil until it is at the mid point in the sight glass, it won't take much.
And check for any loose nuts or bolts---not a bad thing to do anyway to get to know your bike.
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #7608
Ballbearing
Adventurer

OK, I called the dealer. The salesman was helpful and receptive.

I checked the oil level again this morning when the engine was completely cold. The level is about midway depending on how accurately I hold the bike upright. That's my problem with using the sight glass method...a few degrees this way or that throws off the measurement. I like my measurements to be precise.

I then used the method described in the manual. The level is on the low mark when the engine is hot so it looks like I should add some. Again, a few degrees off center and the oil level moves quite a bit though.

It sounds like having the oil on the full mark when cold will be about midline when the engine is hot. I can live with that...until my OCD kicks in.

Next up: Checking bolts, nuts, etc, and a hopefully some time to ride.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #7609
Roadfinder
Always Learning

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbearing View Post
It sounds like having the oil on the full mark when cold will be about midline when the engine is hot. I can live with that...until my OCD kicks in.

Next up: Checking bolts, nuts, etc, and a hopefully some time to ride.
If your OCD gets to you, drain the oil into a pan and put 48oz (1.5 US quarts) back. If the filter is changed then put 51oz (1.6 US quarts) in.

On my TU the throttle cable guide was missing and the dealer shipped one to me. The only other setup problems I remember reading about is:
1. A TU that had the throttle cable guide where the speedometer cable guide shoud have been.
2. A couple of TUs that had the speedometer cable guides installed incorrectly which in a few hundred miles resulted in the cable breaking.

That's all I know about. Checking all the nuts and bolts is always a good idea. I adjusted my brake pedal, clutch cable, throttle cables to my satisfaction. I changed the front and rear sprockets to 16T and 41T. Enjoy the ride.
Roadfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #7610
Ballbearing
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfinder View Post
If your OCD gets to you, drain the oil into a pan and put 48oz (1.5 US quarts) back. If the filter is changed then put 51oz (1.6 US quarts) in.
I may eventually do that. This oil level seems to be all over the place (or I am..). One time it's midway when hot, the other time it's low when hot.

I thought oil levels dropped when the engine was hot due to some oil being stuck in the head?

I did get 2 miles on it though. Now the oil in the sight glass looks milky when it cools down. Condensation? I did add a bit of oil to bring the level up. The only thing I had was some BMW 10W-40 which was still sealed with foil. I believe it is synthetic.

This bike is gonna drive me to drinking....more

Ballbearing screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 01:54 PM
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #7611
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
You worry too much.
Its about 1/2 a cup from the bottom of the sight glass to the middle or 3/4 the way up.
That is 1/2 cup out of over 1.5 quarts.

You are good if the oil is someplace on the sight glass, and the TU never seems to use any oil.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #7612
Ballbearing
Adventurer

Yes, I am a worrier.

What's your thoughts on the milkiness?

Also, am I correct in saying that the oil level is normally lower when the engine is hot or is it the other way around?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #7613
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
Short trips will allow moisture to build up in the oil.
The oil has to get HOT to cook it out.
Some oil tends to get bubbles in it also.

Running, there may be no oil in the sight glass, I never noticed any difference between hot and cold if you let the oil return to the sump for a while.
Say the bike sits over night, it may be half way up the sight glass before you start it.
Go for a ride and get the oil hot, shut the bike off, check the oil in 10 minutes and its about the same at half way.

Start a cold bike up and let it run for 2 minutes, shut it off, and it might take 30 minutes or more to read half way.

My bike does not use any oil, but I still check the level once and a while, before starting, or after a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbearing View Post
Yes, I am a worrier.

What's your thoughts on the milkiness?

Also, am I correct in saying that the oil level is normally lower when the engine is hot or is it the other way around?

Thanks.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #7614
Ballbearing
Adventurer

Great info. That makes me feel better.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #7615
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
new luggage system installed

Finally put together the simple rack for my luggage. It's just a plate of 3/16 aluminum and a couple brackets. I drilled the stock light bracket for one mount point. I made 12 slots in the plate to secure the web straps.

The bag is a Saddlemen AP2350, I don't remember what I paid, but thought it was too much but it was the exact size I was looking for and it is good quality. Comes with nice backpack straps, doubt that I'll ever use them, but the rain cover was put to good use on my KLR250 for the Mississippi hill country ride, and it stood up to the mud and rain well.

Not sexy but low and out of the way functional, I like it.

Looking forward for the warmer weather and an opportunity to load up for a camping trip now.

Why do we blank out the plate number, what risk is there giving out my plate information?

Another question... the oem mirrors don't work, my arms are in the way. I've seen some TU's with bar end mirrors that look functional.... are they?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #7616
Gyokusai
Consulting Detective

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
Why do we blank out the plate number, what risk is there giving out my plate information?

Another question... the oem mirrors don't work, my arms are in the way. I've seen some TU's with bar end mirrors that look functional.... are they?
I've never been terribly worried about my plate showing, but some people value their privacy very highly, I guess.

I've found bar end mirrors to be useful, the only problem is if you drop the bike you generally lose a mirror.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #7617
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,613
IMO, the TU (or any other small motorcycle engine) does not hold enough oil, I would fill it to the very top of the sight glass. Do not worry about it being too full, almost all the oil is pumped out of the sump when the engine is running. Aside from lubrication, oil helps cool the engine, and that little 250 single needs all the cooling it can get. I'd also change it every 1000 miles or so. The bike does not have to be dead level to get an accurate reading, just close. Move it around a little while holding it upright and see how little the level changes. It is correct when the level is the highest.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #7618
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Eek oil level recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
IMO, the TU (or any other small motorcycle engine) does not hold enough oil, I would fill it to the very top of the sight glass. Do not worry about it being too full, almost all the oil is pumped out of the sump when the engine is running. Aside from lubrication, oil helps cool the engine, and that little 250 single needs all the cooling it can get. I'd also change it every 1000 miles or so. The bike does not have to be dead level to get an accurate reading, just close. Move it around a little while holding it upright and see how little the level changes. It is correct when the level is the highest.
Fascinating, the store that sold my used TU250 said keep the oil level low to increase hp. I think I'll stick with mfg suggested level.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #7619
560SELewis
n00b

Oddometer: 7
New Inmate

So I finished reading this amazing thread and decided to join in. I have only had my TU250X for a couple of weeks, and the weather here in Denver hasn't been great for riding for most of that time (it's 32 degrees this morning and snow is predicted for tonight and tomorrow - so much for spring in the Rockies). Here's a bad cell phone picture of my Suzi with the Shoei fairing I just installed. I haven't even had a chance to ride it to see how well it covers, but I used this fairing in the early 1980's and liked it then. Amazingly I found one NOS on Ebay.
560SELewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #7620
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 198
That fairing actually doesn't look too bad on the TU!

On a completely different subject-

I posted a thread about this in the Thumper forum:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872769

Deus Ex Machina recently put on a show called "Festival Of Thump", celebrating all Thumpers. Too bad I didn't see a TU250X in any of the pictures, guess none of us attended!
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote