Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #751
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
The fuel injection system on the TU is supposed to be the same used on other bigger bikes, and a good one, not a low end unit.
Who knows about the fuel pump, time will tell, it may be something you replace as a maint item at 50,000 miles.
I cant see anything else being an issue with the TU.

Judging from the DR series bikes, its just going to be wear and tear items, oil, tires, brakes, chain and sprockets, cables when they wear out, and Suzuki sprockets and cables seem to last a LONG time.

I stopped by a local dealers (cherry hill), they were not interested in getting a TU at all, there did not seem to be any sales people around, I wonder how they stay in business.
Its off season, a bad economy, and they could not be bothered to even see if they could get a bike to sell.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #752
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
Just talked to my Suzuki dealer here in Alliance, Ohio. He has a 2009 TU, wants 3,699 plus tax, 3944 out the door.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #753
NJ-Brett
Brett

Do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Just talked to my Suzuki dealer here in Alliance, Ohio. He has a 2009 TU, wants 3,699 plus tax, 3944 out the door.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #754
NJ-Brett
Brett

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...u250x-98030000

$3035.00 out the door.
If I was only closer!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #755
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

That's worth the drive

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #756
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

$3035.00 out the door.
If I was only closer!
Thats where I got mine last year for $3330.00 out the door and they delivered it to my house in Baltimore for an additional $150. It was 165 miles each way for me.
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #757
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemedes View Post
You probably have figured this out by now, but the TU250X is virtually the same as the ST250 sold in Japan since 2004. Specifically it seems to be identical to the ST250 E type with fuel injection. I think they added FI in 2008 so there might be earlier E types with a carb. I am kinda guessing because I don't read Japanese and have had to use web translators.

There are plenty of Japanese youtube videos of people riding around on the ST250s. I found quite a few videos were they were like 15 ST250s on a ride. I found it interesting to see all the different color options.

The point I am trying to make is that you might be able to find a long term review of an ST. If I come across one I will post a link here.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/ST-series/ST250.shtml
Yeah,I have been drooling over the ST250 for several years and have found some long term reports but my *insert any Asian language* skills are nonexistent. Time to copy/paste into a translator. I also love the Yamaha SRV250 and the Kawasaki Estrella 250 but neither bike is available state.side. The tu250 is the only standard style small cc in our market so that is the one that will end up in my garage at some point. By the way ,thanks for the link....Make my TU the orange and black one!!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #758
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I like this one. Might repaint mine like this if it ever needs repainting. I think this shade blue would look good with the silver frame. Maybe paint the white section on the tank a silver to match the frame.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #759
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

That paint job looks sharp. Yesterday I sat on a TU at my local Suzuki dealer and it just seemed so small. I am 6'2". Love the styling and everything about the bike but it just seems like I dwarf it somewhat.

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #760
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, I bought this bike today!
$3030.00

I should get it in a week, so this thread will be even more active as I explore the bike.
Anyone got a part number or source for a 16 tooth front sprocket?

I am going to break it in hard, then experiment with mods to get a little more power out, more to just see what happens then any need for speed.

I look forward to taking long trips on the bike, maybe even do some bike camping if I can find something else for my wife to do for a few days!

I have read all the reviews over and over, and 100% of the people seem to love the bike, so I am sure I will also.

Quote:

$3035.00 out the door.
If I was only closer!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #761
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
$3030.00

I should get it in a week, so this thread will be even more active as I explore the bike.
Anyone got a part number or source for a 16 tooth front sprocket?

I am going to break it in hard, then experiment with mods to get a little more power out, more to just see what happens then any need for speed.

I look forward to taking long trips on the bike, maybe even do some bike camping if I can find something else for my wife to do for a few days!

I have read all the reviews over and over, and 100% of the people seem to love the bike, so I am sure I will also.
Hey Brett congrats on the bike. Sounds like a great deal - did you get a red one like you wanted?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #762
NJ-Brett
Brett

Yes!
Brand new 2009!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #763
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
NJ-Brett,

Way to go !!!!! Congrats and happy riding.

MagyarMan
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #764
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 304
Brett, congrats on the new ride.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #765
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Congratulations Brett!! I checked the weather for NJ and it looks like you might even have some passable riding weather after you get it next week.

I followed the manual for my break in period in that I tried not to go more than half throttle before 600miles. I did do an extra oil change at 100 miles though.

Mine really loosened up and became smoother as it broke in. The shifting also got smoother too.

Something to check when you get yours is the Cam chain tensioner. This engine has the same style auto-tensioner as the DRZ and other Suzuki singles. Mine came from the factory in locked position and I had to unlock it. When it is locked the spring cannot adjust tension and I could hear the cam chain banging around. This started happening at about 500 miles. I think that as it broke in the chain stretched enough to make noise. I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with it. The good news is it takes 5 min to check and all you need is a small flathead screwdriver. Here is my thread on google groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/suzuk...032902a?hl=en#

Here is a photo of the auto cam tensioner: (fairly big image)
http://suzuki-tu250.googlegroups.com...-23V2XOW7kn5sQ

Just take the rubber cap off, then make sure the screw is all the way counter clockwise. you should feel the spring. Mine came in the barely unlocked position. As soon as I moved it to all the way unlock the engine noise went away.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote