Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #7711
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Dam! If Yamaha would bring the SR400 to the US now, I would buy one. I wish they'd bring back the XT500.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #7712
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
We have hashed this out before.

I love both the cb400ss and the sr400/500 bikes.
I am not sure they would do any better then the TU though.
The basic bikes are great, and might be much better on dirt roads and trails then the TU, but the motors are old designs and that would be a problem.
I do not mind the kick start only at all, or a carb, I like both.
But the big thing is, how do the motors like running at higher rpm's and speeds?
On a bike like the TU, the motor is very happy at full throttle and higher rpm's, its smooth (for a single), runs very cool, and seems to have no weak points in the motor. You could ride a stock TU full throttle across the US and back and not expect any problems.
Not so on most older motors, they have iron liners, heavy old tech pistons, no balance gizmo, no cam bearings, some had no oil filters, just screens.
They did not like higher rpm's and would vibrate quite a bit, which besides the motor, would stress things on the bike from the vibration.
They would use some oil and run hot under some situations.

While they make more power, you could not use it for speed much.
My old Daytona was like that, 60 mph was ok if you geared it tall, above that, things started breaking, leaking and most would not deal with the vibration, body parts go numb.

People who have/had the SR500 report it was no interstate bike, but liked the back roads and lower rpm's.

On the other hand, the TU is happy to run at whatever speed you can get it up to all day long in 100F temps.

Given the choice of the 3 bikes, I would pick the TU, although I would love to have all three.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #7713
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
speaking of brake pads, how long do your guys generally get out of the stock fronts?

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #7714
jhancock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Also, anyone used the EBC semi-sintered V pads instead of the sintered HH pads?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
jhancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #7715
NJ-Brett
Brett

Depends on how you ride, and how low you want to let them go.
I got about 8000 out of the stock front pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
speaking of brake pads, how long do your guys generally get out of the stock fronts?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #7716
Moto13
Riding to Relax

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
No relay, but the headlight power goes through the starter button to turn it off during cranking, and it has its own 10 amp fuse (in fuse box 1).

Bulbs do not blow from shorts or opens, that is not possible, they blow from over voltage or vibration.
Shorts blow fuses, opens make things not work.

If both the high and low beam do not work, its a dirty starter switch, a fuse, or a connection problem someplace.
The headlight needs a ground to work also, but gets it from the same place the front turn signals do.
The turn signals do work perfectly, so it's not the ground then.

I sprayed the starter switch with WD40, but no change.
I sprayed some more and will wait a few hours in case it decides to get "unstuck."
Moto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #7717
NJ-Brett
Brett

Have you done anything to the bike?
What is the history of the bike?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #7718
ultrarunner
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey there. I've been lurking for a couple months now and made it through about 2/3 of this thread. There is a wealth of knowledge here, enough to convince me that a TU is the way to go.

If I am asking about something that has been covered elsewhere, I am sorry. I had hoped to get the whole thread polished off before my first post, but I've found a TU 250 on craigslist and was hoping for some opinions on price and what, in particular, to look for when I inspect it later in the week.

The bike is a 2011, seems to be in good shape (many detailed photos). I think the mileage is a bit high at 6500+. It does have a battery tender installed, though I don't know if that is good or bad (this will be my first bike).

I've checked the Blue Book, which gives a value of $2990. The ask is a bit higher than that, but if it is as good as it looks, I'll shoot for $3000.

Any advice?
ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #7719
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 232
Just my 2 cents but it seems kinda high compared to what others have got there's for but I don't really ever see used ones any where and the couple that I have we're more. 6500 miles is nothing for these bikes. Honestly that's about when the break in period is about done. The other option is getting one new which you will loose at least $2000 as soon as you leave the parking lot so if you pay even 500 to much I still see it as a deal. Maybe I look at things in the wrong way I don't know.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #7720
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
The bike is a 2011, seems to be in good shape (many detailed photos). I think the mileage is a bit high at 6500+. It does have a battery tender installed, though I don't know if that is good or bad (this will be my first bike).

I've checked the Blue Book, which gives a value of $2990. The ask is a bit higher than that, but if it is as good as it looks, I'll shoot for $3000.

Any advice?
$3k is a bit high but again they are hard to come by used. New ones are $3499 plus tax and $250 set up by me so probably about $3900 OTD. There was a used 2010 this winter near me for $1800 with 1700 or so miles on it I wished I could have bought but the timing wasn't right. Don't worry about the mileage. It will run well for a long time.

Make a low offer and see what happens.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #7721
NJ-Brett
Brett

Mostly cosmetics, you can also look at the tires and front brake pads, if original, they may be close to done.

Not much else to worry about with a TU.

Price is up to you.
I look at it this way, a new TU is going to cost a lot more, plus more tax and fee's, and you might want to break it in, riding like a slug for 600 miles.

And a battery tender is very good for the battery.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #7722
BCinMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto13 View Post
The turn signals do work perfectly, so it's not the ground then.

I sprayed the starter switch with WD40, but no change.
I sprayed some more and will wait a few hours in case it decides to get "unstuck."

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but have you looked at the headlight switch itself? Reason I ask is that I had strange issue with a car several years ago, that every so often would not even crank, but all electrical systems worked. I spent $$$ checking and / or replacing everything from the battery to the alternator to the starter to the voltage regulator etc etc. Turns out it was the ignition switch itself. Once I replace that all was good.
'09 Kymco Xciting 250Ri
- gone
'96 Nighthawk 750
- gone but not forgotten
BCinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #7723
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Depends on how you ride, and how low you want to let them go.
I got about 8000 out of the stock front pads.
hmmm. ill have to keep an eye on them then. I am sure the large amount of time i spend in stop and go does nothing good to extrend the life of the pads.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #7724
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
The bike is a 2011, seems to be in good shape (many detailed photos). I think the mileage is a bit high at 6500+.

Any advice?
It's always struck me as weird when people express concern about a bike having "high miles"... Considering how many bikes only get ridden a few miles at a time, a few weekends a year... I personally consider any bike that has actually been ridden to be more of "a sure thing". An owner is also more likely to maintain a bike he rides, as opposed to one that just sits in the garage. Then there is the issue of 6500 miles not being a lot of miles at all...
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #7725
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
It's always struck me as weird when people express concern about a bike having "high miles"... Considering how many bikes only get ridden a few miles at a time, a few weekends a year... I personally consider any bike that has actually been ridden to be more of "a sure thing". An owner is also more likely to maintain a bike he rides, as opposed to one that just sits in the garage. Then there is the issue of 6500 miles not being a lot of miles at all...
Mileage is nothing. Storage is everything. Any bike left outside is going to rust into the ground in short order and have pitting in places you can't even imagine.