Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #7771
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I'm in the market for a used one somewhere on the west coast. But it must have over 7,500 miles on it so I can register it in California. Can someone verify if it has the "on-road" EPA sticker on it. Thanks.

brieninsac screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 05:44 PM
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #7772
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,187
I wonder what happened to moto13 and his headlight...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #7773
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 216
I put a new tire on the tu I noticed that when I shift down to stop at a light or slow down not using the brake it makes a slight screeching noise but only when it goes into higher Rpms like from 3rd into 2nd at 35 could the tire be slightly sliding on the pavement?
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #7774
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 216
I have another question about oil I'm not to worried about the tu running hot I run semi synthetic 10 40 but it can get up to 120 degrees in the summer here in az. I have read that running 20 50 can make engine run cooler but have also read it can run hotter would there be any benefit to changing or just leave it
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #7775
jfdunham
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hello everyone! I brought home a new 2012 TU250 about a week ago, and am enjoying the heck out of it! Been zooming around the local roads a lot and breaking it in... I have about 511 miles on it at the moment. It may not be a lot, but it's mostly been on slow roads, and the bike is grey anyway. I do have a question though, and I am wondering if something about the bike is off, or if it's just me.

Seems like shifting up is often sort of "clunky", in particular, from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th. Often times it'll not want to pop out of gear with I give the shifter a nudge, and I'll have to try again. By the second try I'll have messed with the throttle and clutch some more.

One thing I notice is that if I start to push the shifter up just before I let off of the throttle, it seems to always (as far as I can recall) slide out of gear easily. But if, say, I let off the throttle first, then pull in the clutch and try to shift, it'll stick in gear. Is this a normal thing with motorcycles that I just need to get the hang of, or is something not quite right?
jfdunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #7776
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
I have another question about oil I'm not to worried about the tu running hot I run semi synthetic 10 40 but it can get up to 120 degrees in the summer here in az. I have read that running 20 50 can make engine run cooler but have also read it can run hotter would there be any benefit to changing or just leave it

RTFM.

The owner's manual will have a chart of recommended viscosities based on ambient operating temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdunham View Post
Hello everyone! I brought home a new 2012 TU250 about a week ago, and am enjoying the heck out of it! Been zooming around the local roads a lot and breaking it in... I have about 511 miles on it at the moment. It may not be a lot, but it's mostly been on slow roads, and the bike is grey anyway. I do have a question though, and I am wondering if something about the bike is off, or if it's just me.

Seems like shifting up is often sort of "clunky", in particular, from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th. Often times it'll not want to pop out of gear with I give the shifter a nudge, and I'll have to try again. By the second try I'll have messed with the throttle and clutch some more.

One thing I notice is that if I start to push the shifter up just before I let off of the throttle, it seems to always (as far as I can recall) slide out of gear easily. But if, say, I let off the throttle first, then pull in the clutch and try to shift, it'll stick in gear. Is this a normal thing with motorcycles that I just need to get the hang of, or is something not quite right?
Very normal, and will probably lessen a bit as the bike breaks in. When you are shifting, you should "pre-load" the shift lever. IE this means apply slight upward pressure on the lever before you shift, then shift, then continue to hold pressure on the lever for a second after releasing the clutch again. I've never ridden a motorcycle that didn't shift smoother this way. Don't pre-load the shifter all the time, just right before and after a shift, and don't use a ton of pressure.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #7777
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
My TU does the same thing while trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd. If I ease out the clutch a bit then pull it in most of the time it goes into 3rd. I've often wondered if it's my big feet that causes the problem? It doesn't happen all the time ,just enough to be annoying.

Are you the Jeff Dunham the ventriloquist?
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #7778
theUg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
I put a new tire on the tu I noticed that when I shift down to stop at a light or slow down not using the brake it makes a slight screeching noise but only when it goes into higher Rpms like from 3rd into 2nd at 35 could the tire be slightly sliding on the pavement?
I would think you are braking too aggressively. I engine brake all the time, but I switch from 5th to 4th at a little above 30, then to 3rd a bit over 20. Going into second at 35 would make a lot of things squeal. Also, did you break your tyre in yet? It takes about 150 km to make sure the slippery stuff on it wears away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdunham View Post
It might be doing it while breaking in (and if you read this thread, you would know it takes few thousand miles), and because of dino oil. You still have to run it for awhile to speed up the break in, but at about 5000 km (3000 mi) you can change to a synthetic oil (I did it after 4000 km), and the shifts would become much crisper.

Also, there is a trick to shifting: pre-load a shift lever slightly by pushing it up (or stepping for down shifting) before you pull in the clutch.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #7779
NJ-Brett
Brett

Have you changed the oil yet?
It really helps shifting to get the initial oil out.
And the transmission needs to break in, it gets better till about 6000 miles.
Clutch adjustment is also important for shift quality.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #7780
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Talking New TU250x

My first motorcycle got delivered yesterday!
Here it is coming off the truck:

And here it is next to my other preferred mode of transportation:

I won't be able to ride until Saturday, but needed to vent some of my enthusiasm!

Lacedaemon screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 07:08 AM
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #7781
jhancock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Great choice for transportation and recreation in both cases! Planning to paddle the TU around in the canoe?

Lyle Lovett rides his pony on his boat and tells the Lone Ranger to kiss his @ss!

Jeff from Eleys Ford, Virginia, USA
jhancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #7782
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

The canoe could handle the weight, but balance might be an issue...
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #7783
NJ-Brett
Brett

Does your house have its own parking lot?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #7784
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Nope. I live in an apartment building that has a back lot that was mostly unused, so they started letting people keep boats, RV's, trailers or whatever they wanted back there. And they let you chain things to light posts.

Lacedaemon screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 08:09 AM
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #7785
NJ-Brett
Brett

Someone with a truck could take both, unless its chained to something they cant break/cut.

The TU is very light...