User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #766
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
Fooling the ECU

Anticipating I'm going to run lean with the new exhaust I'm building I was doing some web research on Power Commanders, FI modifications etc. One thing that seems to be a common mod as NJ-Brett pointed out in a earlier post is to fool the ECU into thinking your riding around in Siberia all the time. It compensates for the cold temperature by increasing fuel to the injector. I was just about ready to make one of these things as I could not find a commercial unit and then this morning got an e-mail from one of the companies I had sent an enquiry to. MemJet make a device for the TU. Its just under $200.00 and though I could make one that costs a lot less, this is a plug and play one that plugs into the existing sensors. You dial in the "cold" until the bike runs right. Yeah I'll use more fuel but the last thing I want is to have my exhaust run so lean that I burn a hole in my piston. Stay tuned; when spring comes and I can work on the bike I'll report how this device works.
Here is a link to the part http://www.memjetmodule.com/products...-2010-tu250-x/
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #767
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
Thanks for the info!
I plan on going over the bike well, any new bike should be checked out, loose battery terminals, air filter in right, oil level, valve adjustment, drain plugs tight, chain tension, tire pressure, etc.

I plan on doing the hard break in, no steady throttle, no getting stuck in traffic or letting it idle for long, full throttle for short periods.

Well after break in, I will likely do synthetic oil.

Its crazy that I am so excited about getting a 250 when I have a 1200 sportster, but I look forward to being comfortable on a bike again.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #768
NJ-Brett
Brett

I looked at that and mentioned it here a bit ago.

Keep in mind, the oxy sensor will control the mixture, at least over some range.
I don't know about the Suzuki FI system, but on the Harleys, the system looks at the oxy sensor during cruise situations and adjusts the mixture.
It does NOT look at the oxy sensor at idle, at big throttle openings, or high rpm's.
For those situations, the ecu uses maps based on throttle position, temps, rpm's.
On the Harleys, you can change the exhaust, or the air intake without the mixture being off enough to cause problems, but you cant do both.

There are gizmo's that adjust the oxy sensor to read richer, new ecu's or boxes that correct the stock ecu, and wideband systems that read the oxy sensor all the time and adjust.

Even stock, I suspect all bikes run on the lean side and could make a little more power just from correcting the mixture.

I would guess the TU is somewhat strangled in the exhaust since it has a catalytic converter in it.

I cant say, not having my bike yet, but I might just leave it stock, or almost stock, it depends on how the power is, and how quiet it is.
I don't like loud bikes, but I do want to hear the motor.
I like the idea of a catalytic converter, but I might think about poking some holes in the silencer to get a little more sound.
You might be able to do that, fit a 16 tooth front sprocket, and get better MPG...

I cant wait to see how your experiments work out.

Dynojet may come out with a power commander eventually, with dyno info, etc....

I am sure you can tweak the temp sensor a little without bad results.

Let the fun begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNbiker View Post
Anticipating I'm going to run lean with the new exhaust I'm building I was doing some web research on Power Commanders, FI modifications etc. One thing that seems to be a common mod as NJ-Brett pointed out in a earlier post is to fool the ECU into thinking your riding around in Siberia all the time. It compensates for the cold temperature by increasing fuel to the injector. I was just about ready to make one of these things as I could not find a commercial unit and then this morning got an e-mail from one of the companies I had sent an enquiry to. MemJet make a device for the TU. Its just under $200.00 and though I could make one that costs a lot less, this is a plug and play one that plugs into the existing sensors. You dial in the "cold" until the bike runs right. Yeah I'll use more fuel but the last thing I want is to have my exhaust run so lean that I burn a hole in my piston. Stay tuned; when spring comes and I can work on the bike I'll report how this device works.
Here is a link to the part http://www.memjetmodule.com/products...-2010-tu250-x/
Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #769
NJ-Brett
Brett

I wonder how the TU would do as a dirt bike.
Its light weight should make it very nice in the dirt, and it does have some ground clearance.
In the past, dirt bikes were street bikes with knobby tires.
Thicker fork oil and better rear shocks, plus some dual sport tires would likely transform the TU into a great bike for dirt roads and easier trails.
One warning though, tires will be critical, when I took the radial 80/20 street/dirt tires off the dr650 and put on Kenda K270 tires, the top speed dropped about 10 mph from the rolling resistance.

Radial tires, dual sport or street will likely boost top speed and the mpg a bit on the TU, big knob dirt tires would kill it.

I dirt rode the old Daytona a lot, its light weight and low center of gravity went far to make up for street tires and lack of suspension travel.
For dirt riding, the low center of gravity is very important I suspect, in many respects, the Daytona was easier to ride then the very tall DR650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemedes View Post
Just do it!!! haha

Well I had been thinking about buying a dual sport to get into camping and adventure riding. I have been looking strongly at Vstrom 650s, WR250Rs, and the triumph scrambler. The scrambler was my favorite, but has poor fuel range. I had to rule the scram out on this alone. I want to be able to ride out of Kansas without filling up LOL.

You can buy a couple of nice big tanks for the WRR and the vstrom will probably meet my needs. Then I remember seeing those photos of the farkled ST250 in Japan (looks identical to our red 09 TUs). This got me thinking about just saving my money and giving the TU a go. I can do almost everything I want to do on two lane county roads and gravel roads.

I started checking on prices and purchased my first thing. I am going to try a Slipstreamer SS-10 viper windscreen. I am hoping this will be alleviate some chest pressure and make longer rides more comfortable. My longest trip was about 5 hours in the saddle and about 260 miles. I was tired at the end of it!

If the screen works out I am going to check out luggage options and just make do with the TU for now. I put in an email to Ventura to confirm their pack system will fit. If it won't I will move the turn signals and look into having racks made. It might be worth it to get panniers that are lockable and waterproof.

I also looked for a good dual sport tire. I couldn't find any in the right size, so will probably just get Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires. I am hoping the bike will be light enough that they should do good on gravel.

Anyone else in the states doing multi-day trips on a TU?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #770
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I wonder how the TU would do as a dirt bike....
Here is a Dirt/Trials style TU125X that was built by Vincent Design France...

http://vicente-design.com/one-off-mo...ki-125-tux-gn/

I think a tyre like the Enfield below would be ideal for a TU 250...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K44rll View Post
Altho not an exact size, try the Continental TKC80's, you may also have to use a rear tyre on the front like they do on Royal Enfield trials and V-Stroms

18" sizes available are..

3.25 - 18 M/C 59S TT M+S
3.50 - 18 M/C 62S TT M+S
4.00 - 18 M/C 64R TT M+S
4.10 - 18 M/C 66P TT M+S
110/80 - 18 M/C 58Q TT M+S

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...tkc_80_en.html

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #771
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 824
I'm wondering how long it will be before someone comes out with a big bore kit for the TU.
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #772
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I still might "adventurize" my TU someday. I started researching tires and right away discovered first hurdle....Tire choices. They don't make many of the dual sport tires I want for 18" rims to go on a stock TU. I was looking for a more street biased dual sport tire like the tourances or anakees. I have not attempted to take it on gravel yet with the stock cheng shin tires.

I did find that Shenko 244 front in 3.50-18 were only $31.99 and Kenda K270 4.00-18 were only $40.99. These look like roadworthy knobbies to me.

Am I correct that the sizes above are close enough to the 90/90-18 front and 110/90-18 rear sizes?

If you want to run the same tire front back you can get both the above sizes in a IRC GP-1 if you don't mind buying a "rear" for the front. It doesn't look like a directional tread and should be okay. This option was more expensive.

I should clarify that I never intended to make it a true "Dirt bike". I just want a more suitable tire for gravel and dirt roads. With the suspension and front fender I would avoid mud and trails. I am close to a lot of gravel roads in eastern Kansas and grew up riding dual sports on sand roads in central KS.

Since I want to get out and explore some of these gravel/sand roads I am thinking the TU would be great with some minor tweaks like tires. I was also thinking about a cheap used vstrom, but I have this gut feeling the light weight and low center of gravity would make the TU better for what I am wanting to do. Besides I won't be bombing down these roads at high speed so the 250 should be a good match for my expected speed.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #773
NJ-Brett
Brett

The tire sizes are close.
I don't know if a 3.50 tire will fit on the front, most likely it will.
The K270 is a good tire for the dirt, its a little odd feeling on the street with its tall soft knobs.
The old K70 is a good dual sport tire with more street bias.
Old Triumphs had them stock when they were made in England by Dunlop.
You can still get them, made in Japan now I think.
For the forks, all you likely need is thicker oil to make them work well in the dirt.
I suspect the stock TU with dual sport tires would make quite a good dirt bike.

Look at the first year Honda XL250.
It likely weighed more and had about the same suspension.
It was quite a good dirt bike in its day.

I had K70 tires on my 69 Daytona, about the same size and weight as the TU and it went great in the dirt, not just smooth dirt roads but rough trails and lots of sand.
Even rode it 2 up in the dirt with my son on the back.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #774
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
K70 looks great

Thanks for the tip Brett!

The K70 is still available at motorcycle superstore in 4.00-18. It looks like exactly what I was wanting (street biased dual sport). at $62.00 it is cheap enough to try.

They only had two sizes of fronts and nothing for an 18 rim.

Now I just need to find a good matching front tire.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #775
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by K44rll View Post
Here is a Dirt/Trials style TU125X that was built by Vincent Design France...

http://vicente-design.com/one-off-mo...ki-125-tux-gn/

I think a tyre like the Enfield below would be ideal for a TU 250...

Really like the look of the high pipes on this one. Sort of a Triumph Scrambler that never grew up
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #776
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasKawboy View Post
I'm wondering how long it will be before someone comes out with a big bore kit for the TU.
Yeah a kit to turn this bike into a 350 would be perfect
Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #777
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Well, I bought this bike today!

Congrats on the new scoot!!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 02:07 PM
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #778
Morphman
Banned

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh uh no way View Post
still willing to offload mine, brett!

my honda runs fine and i'd rather not have a bike payment at the moment ;)
You've got mail!
Morphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #779
NJ-Brett
Brett

I don't know what happened to him, last heard he was riding in the snow, then nothing for a week, and I pm'd him about buying his bike.
No response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphman View Post
You've got mail!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #780
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Who has the highest mileage so far?

...any issues aside from Dealership caused things like the shifting mechanism mistaken for the oil plug?

It's getting warmer and I'm gettin impatient for my tax refund and insurance check.
Had another look at the 11 and Love the color.

Anyone have any accessories/updates they made over the winter?
How's the chrome holding up to the road salts?
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote