Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #781
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 810
Another TUfity in the house. I bought a new/used 2009 this morning. The local dealer had an 09 that was used by a MSF school and had 615 miles on it. It had the first service done and they wanted $3199 plus sales tax, $3475 out the door and since it hasn't been titled I got the full factory warranty.

KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #782
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Not D.S. tires but...

http://www.irc-tire.com/mce/

I'm a big fan of IRC's tires due to their price vs quality ratio and plan to use these after I get my TU and wear out the Cheng-shits. (my XT250 had Cheng-shits...so I know about their quality!)
For my wnter commuting they should work great with screw in scooter studs. (I'll let you all know next year!)

IRC also makes the GP! and GP110's if you're looking for that scrambler look.

Congrats on the new/used ride! (can't wait to hear some of your impressions)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #783
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Cheng-shits. LMAO. Thats a good one.
I never had an issue with the tires on mine; I scraped the footpegs a few times while leaned over and they never gave me a reason to think I was exceeding their ability.

However....one thing I learned they were not good at was transitions from paved roads to dirt roads. The scattered rocks and pebbles would make the back tire slide a bit. Once it happened a few times I was prepared for it but still something to be aware of.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #784
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasKawboy View Post
Another TUfity in the house. I bought a new/used 2009 this morning. The local dealer had an 09 that was used by a MSF school and had 615 miles on it. It had the first service done and they wanted $3199 plus sales tax, $3475 out the door and since it hasn't been titled I got the full factory warranty.

Congratulations KansasKawboy! Did you get it at Olathe Suzuki? That is where I bought mine.

My Slipstreamer SS10 Viper windshield arrived friday. I tried putting it on today, but because of the way it is designed it doesn't make a tight enough fit. It looks like I can drill two holes in the bottom corner and use zip ties to fasten it to the headlight bracket. I am certainly not taking it on the road until I can get it tighter. I will post pics if once I get it set up.

It is kind of disappointing that it didn't fit right out of the box. I like the way it looks.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #785
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Fantastic!
I bet you will enjoy the bike a lot.
Its very sharp looking!

Tires:
The cheng shins are not good tires, except from the standpoint of lasting a long time.
Like tires of old, they likely use very hard rubber.
Hard rubber lasts a long time, but does not grip well.
Modern tires are much softer and wear out quickly, but grip well.

I suspect its the TU's fault the tires work as well as they do, good tires would likely be amazing.

Quote:

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #786
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
Quote:

Congrats on the bike - the TU family is growing!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #787
rivercreep
Banned

B.t.w.!...

...I think "Tuffy" is a great nickname for the TU.

To be honest, I am still getting ready to check out a couple of old GS500's (an 86 and a 92) that have less then 16,000 miles on the clock.
They'd have to be mint to sway me from buying new but, they have that older bike not a theft target appeal going for them.

As long as I don't have to crack the cases, I'm willing to fix (and have the ability) most things. (if only I had a garage)
Old 02-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #788
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemedes View Post
Congratulations KansasKawboy! Did you get it at Olathe Suzuki? That is where I bought mine.

My Slipstreamer SS10 Viper windshield arrived friday. I tried putting it on today, but because of the way it is designed it doesn't make a tight enough fit. It looks like I can drill two holes in the bottom corner and use zip ties to fasten it to the headlight bracket. I am certainly not taking it on the road until I can get it tighter. I will post pics if once I get it set up.

It is kind of disappointing that it didn't fit right out of the box. I like the way it looks.
Yes I got it at Olathe Suzuki. Let us know how the Slipstreamer works out.
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #789
NJ-Brett
Brett

You can get a nice bike and insure it, or get something really cheap.
I once met a guy who was riding an old sx650 Yamaha.
Sort of.
It had a different front end on it, a home made electrical system, some crazy exhaust, a mis/mash of parts, but it ran well, and he got it for $150.00.
Thats beer and pizza money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
...I think "Tuffy" is a great nickname for the TU.

To be honest, I am still getting ready to check out a couple of old GS500's (an 86 and a 92) that have less then 16,000 miles on the clock.
They'd have to be mint to sway me from buying new but, they have that older bike not a theft target appeal going for them.

As long as I don't have to crack the cases, I'm willing to fix (and have the ability) most things. (if only I had a garage)
Old 02-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #790
rivercreep
Banned

You've got mail

Brett, just sent you an e-mail about a cycle shop in NJ. in case you might know of their reputation.

Thanks!
James
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #791
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:

I like it!
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #792
NJ-Brett
Brett

Maybe it went to my work email?
I don't know about the shops as I never use them.
I do all my own work on bikes and cars.

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Brett, just sent you an e-mail about a cycle shop in NJ. in case you might know of their reputation.

Thanks!
James
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #793
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Anyone from this thread live on the Big Island of Hawaii in the Puna district? Saw a 2009 Tu250 (red) at the Makuu Market today (sunday).
Jon
Birdmove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #794
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Slipstream Viper windshield

I think I got the mounting issues sorted out today. It is amazing what a couple of well placed zip ties will do.

The instructions said that the bottom of the windshield needed to be up against the headlight. I could get close, but every time I tightened the brackets and thumb screws it would lift up just enough to come off the headlight. This was the biggest reason I couldn't get it to fit tight and it would move around. After sleeping on it I decided that drilling the two holes would give me two additional support points. So I just did it and it worked out great. The areas by the corners did not have the rubber protection the bottom had so took some extra pipe insulation and cut small pieces to allow the windshield to rest without rubbing on the headlight bracket. This is the same kind of insulation that is used on the cold line to your AC unit. I think this adds a little cushion too. It worked so well I undid it and added a little of the same insulation between the headlight and the bottom.

A windshield is a windshield so I wont' go into too much detail. I took it for a short ride but could only get up to 60mph. It seemed to be very good and I was pleased with the result. I will just need to take it out for a really good test as soon as I can. Based on my initial test run I expect I will leave it on while it still cold in the mornings. As long as I don't move the handlebar brackets and I could remove the windshield in just a couple minutes. Putting it back on might only take a little longer. I bet it took me a couple of hours to get those brackets where I want them. I was doing it by myself and probably would have gone much faster if I would have had help and drilled those holes. I wasted a lot of time trying to get a good fit without them.

I expected it to really change the look of the bike, but it really isn't that bad. I do plan on removing the "viper" sticker very soon.

Optically I did not see any distortion, but I look over it not through it. I am 6'1". It is really smaller in person than it looks like in these photos.

For those interested in my mounting hack job here are more photos:
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...%20Windscreen/

The close-up photos don't look that bad in person. You don't really notice the zip ties or black insulation pads unless your looking for them.

You can see that anodized aluminum gets scared up very easily. I was pretty careful, but tried so many different locations to get it where I liked it that you can see where I tightened the thumb screws down. I might take a sharpie to them to touch them up.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #795
rivercreep
Banned

Nice job!

How's the turbulance at 60mph? Any increased buffeting around your head or increased wind noise?

Brett...the pm was sent through your ADV link and should come up under private messages . (but since you don't g to the shops, never mind. L.O.L.!) I also do all my own maint but was looking at buying a 92 GS500 in your neck of the woods.