User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #7951
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
Yes, I really like my TU.
Unlike any of the other modern bikes I spent a lot more money on then the TU cost.
Unlike all the other bikes, I look for any chance to get even a short ride in whenever I can get away with it. Even after owning it for more then 2 years.
With a new bike, you want to ride it all the time, but that usually wears off somewhat quickly, but it never wore off with the TU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjack View Post
KevinMcCall, thanks for the info on screen, NJ-Brett, thanks for all of your input on all things TU. The final decesion to get a TU was the fact that your enthusiasm for this bike was infectuous. Finding a great deal helped too! I bought mine with 1424 on the odometer a couple of months ago, just turned over 3000. NJ-Brett is right, it just keeps on getting smoother & better the more I ride it. Thanks
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #7952
ultrarunner
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Out of commission!

So, last week I took my first "long ride" of my short motorcycling career, a ride to transport my 2011 TU250 from Chicago, IL to Ann Arbor, MI. I had a beautiful day for it, about 70 degrees, sunny, and not too windy. Smooth sailing... until Marshall, MI when, at 78ish MPH, it sounded like someone opened up a can of marbles inside my engine.

I immediately lost power, so, clutch in, throttle off, I got the bike to the side of the highway and called for a tow. The lights all light up, but the starter would not turn over.

The shop where I left it says they won't be able to look at it for over a month! I am sorely tempted to go grab it and try to puzzle this out on my own (with the help of the board members here). I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a mechanic. I do not have a garage or garage space. I am , however, somewhat mechanically inclined and spent part of a wayward youth working as a wrench in a bicycle shop.

Is this something I should tackle on my own?
ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #7953
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,980
A month? Take that bike to any other Suzuki dealer! I understand waiting for a scheduled maintenance but a stopped running bike shy of a total engine meltdown should come first.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #7954
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 235
I remember something like that happened to some one one here a while back and he had lost the oil drain plug. But I honestly have no clue what it would be from.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #7955
ultrarunner
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I remember the drain plug incident as well... it was the first thing I checked. I still have an engine full of oil, though looking at it through the window it seemed really dark. The only thing I messed around with at all in the engine was a valve adjustment, so my concern is that I didn't tighten one of the nuts down enough.
ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #7956
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed View Post
A month? Take that bike to any other Suzuki dealer! I understand waiting for a scheduled maintenance but a stopped running bike shy of a total engine meltdown should come first.
+1
There's no way I would give them my business..

Sucks to hear. Good luck.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #7957
Chaplain
Circuit Rider

Oddometer: 217
Chaplain rides again

I'm the fellow that didn't get his oil plug torqued in properly - and lost it

I still haven't gotten over that, or torn down that bike . A recent job change will allow some more time, so wrenching here we come.

But, for the inmate whose TU is inoperable - that sounds bad.

Even when I lost oil, I had a whine and unexplained power loss. After getting the bike home and putting a plug and oil in, it would crank, but not quite start. It never sounded like anything came apart inside. I probably have too little compression left.

I have no idea about what you might be looking at. But, if it's broke - how much worse can you make it by tearing it down?? I have a feeling that when I get into mine I'll be able to figure it out.

In the mean time, Mrs. Chaplain still has not got her license - so I get to exercise her TU. (another red one). This weekend we too a loop around Smith Mountain Lake (central VA). 125 miles 2 up. Some limited access Highway (not much) lots of rural 2 lane, and even about 3-4 miles of well maintained gravel. Last tank 68.5 mpg. 2 up, all the gear, picnic in the tank bag - a great ride. I gotta get the other Tu apart and fixed. This weekend put about 250 miles on the clock.
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #7958
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
My wife and I went out for a nice evening on my TU on Saturday night. Rode from Fort Worth over to Dallas, 2-up on the freeway at about 60-65mph. No problem keeping up with traffic, although I stayed in the right hand lane out of courtesy. Parked the bike in front of the Crown & Harp pub and watched a Morrissey/Smiths cover band and then had a nice cool ride home around midnight. Good times.
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #7959
Txjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hot weedend

Managed to put about 300 miles on over Fri. Sat& Sun. Temps on Fri.&Sat. were 100+ in middle of day. Reminded me of going through Death Valley in July of 05 on way to Laguna Seca races. Wrong time of year to traverse but didn't know if I would ever be out that way again so had to give it a shot! It was 124@ Furnace Creek when I stopped then. Despite the temps, the TU did just fine this weekend. I'm averaging 75 MPG.
Txjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #7960
NJ-Brett
Brett

My guess is you did not tighten the lock nut on one of the valves enough and it came loose.
Easy to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
So, last week I took my first "long ride" of my short motorcycling career, a ride to transport my 2011 TU250 from Chicago, IL to Ann Arbor, MI. I had a beautiful day for it, about 70 degrees, sunny, and not too windy. Smooth sailing... until Marshall, MI when, at 78ish MPH, it sounded like someone opened up a can of marbles inside my engine.

I immediately lost power, so, clutch in, throttle off, I got the bike to the side of the highway and called for a tow. The lights all light up, but the starter would not turn over.

The shop where I left it says they won't be able to look at it for over a month! I am sorely tempted to go grab it and try to puzzle this out on my own (with the help of the board members here). I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a mechanic. I do not have a garage or garage space. I am , however, somewhat mechanically inclined and spent part of a wayward youth working as a wrench in a bicycle shop.

Is this something I should tackle on my own?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #7961
NJ-Brett
Brett

In the last week or two, I put about 800 miles on my bike, despite all the rain.
Some nice rides with my wife on the back, and some nice longer solo rides.
Coming up on 18,000 miles on my bike and its been running like a top.
I had a new rear tire put on my spare rim as the one on the bike had the spokes turn nasty from the winter salt.
At about 8000 miles on that Shinko, its still got plenty of life left in it.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #7962
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Ya the tu doesn't seem to mind the heat it was 118 the last couple of days here in Phoenix and my 30 min ride home all highway so that prob helps but lets just say she held up better than I did :-)
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #7963
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
still commuting on the TU.
about 60 miles a day, and in the last couple months, my worst tank was 70 mpg with mostly stop and go with a little highway thrown into the mix. bout time for an oil/filter change and valve check, guess monday will be a good time for that.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #7964
theUg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Last few days the heat wave brought record temperatures to Boise (43 C / 109 F), so I thought I would escape the heat by leaving for an all day ride, and cool down in the mountains before I would come back. I combined it with a sort of business trip. There is not much money in it, and in itself it was not worth the time, but it paid for my petrol, and some extra beer money on top. So, basically, I got to ride for free.

Unfortunately, I had been delayed, before and during the ride, so I ended up only doing the boring Interstate 90% of the time from Boise to Burley and back, as I did not have time in the end of the day to peel off North in the mountains towards Sun Valley and come back via Stanley and half of Lowman loop.

I did solid 550 km (~340 mi) which is about ties my record for longest ride. I had to haul ass on the way there, and managed to hit 145 km/h (~90 mph) indicated with some favourable wind and terrain. Only with 16t sprocket, and still on the stock tyres at 15 000 km (9350 miles). Managed 71 mpg, including a third of the way WOT. In comparison, when I filled up before I left, I got 85 (close to my average), and my best was 97.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #7965
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

The ug does your gauge have miles or km on the tu? I'm courious since you put it in metric first. I like how you convert everything I read other threads on here and a lot is in km so I have to bust out a calculator I wish I could do it in my head or even easier if it was all metric since that system makes more since.