ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #7981
DavesNotHere
Aging squid
 
DavesNotHere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Oddometer: 271
A super-inexpensive bike that is still MADE IN JAPAN. Get 'em while you can.

__________________
____________________________________________


2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #7982
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Aj Mick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Phuket, Thailand
Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
since i acquired my TU, any time some one comes up to me to talk about it, they always say it looks like an old triumph. and while i agree that it does look like an older bike, i always just thought it was more the look of a basic UJM from the 70s.
well, it seems i finally encountered some one who agreed with that. the gentleman said it reminded him of an old honda 125 he had back in the day. we proceeded to talk bikes for the next ten or so minutes till i remembered that i was supposed to be picking up dinner

the TU has been my primary vehicle since april, and my fiancee and i are thinking it may be time to sell my truck and just have the bike and her car. seems like it should work rather well
Yes, the TU 250 looks good, and practical, my kind of bike. Unfortunately it is not available where I live now, and where I come from (and likely will be returning before too long).

And yes.... get rid of that truck if you don't have any significant regular use for it. I have only occasionally owned a car. In the past dozen or so years I have rented a car on just three occasions.

I bought my last girlfriend a bike, and paid off the balance (in a lump sum) on her father's bike when she walked out of a job so was unemployed for a couple of months (her sister put down the deposit, she was saddled with the payments). But she wanted to ride around in a car..... so took up with a man who had a car, and sold the bike to help pay it off. A few months later she was after getting in touch with me again, but it was a one way trip as far as I was concerned.
__________________
there are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists
but you seldom meet an old, bold motorcyclist
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #7983
theUg
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
the TU has been my primary vehicle since april, and my fiancee and i are thinking it may be time to sell my truck and just have the bike and her car. seems like it should work rather well
It worked for me, till I got dumped like rotten lukewarm potato. Still my primary wheels, just borrowing car from my parents when need to haul stuff for work etc.
__________________
2011 Suzuki TU250X
theUg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #7984
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: NOVA
Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
I think the TU is a perfect aesthetic balance between the old British twins, the late 60's-early 70's UJM's, and the Royal Enfield Bullet.

And yes! Sell the truck... We have gotten by with just my TU and my wife's car for almost two years now with no problems.
it would bring a few challenges, mainly, that her car would have an interesting time carrying around my 14 foot canoe, but im sure i can figure that out. i will need to get some better cold weather gear though
__________________
"While it may be to early to drink scotch, it is never to early to think about drinking scotch."

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #7985
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: NOVA
Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by theUg View Post
It worked for me, till I got dumped like rotten lukewarm potato. Still my primary wheels, just borrowing car from my parents when need to haul stuff for work etc.
i know there will still be times when i will need the use of a pick up truck, but ive got parents and enough friends who have ones i can(and already do) borrow. im more or less excited about it. selling my truck should pay for some heated gear and a few farkles.
__________________
"While it may be to early to drink scotch, it is never to early to think about drinking scotch."

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #7986
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,083
When I was about 22 to 25, I had a 1979 Triumph as my only transportation for a year.
I had no problem with it.
The few times it snowed enough to be a bother I got a ride to work.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #7987
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer
 
Lacedaemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Oddometer: 548
Thumb Cars can carry canoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
it would bring a few challenges, mainly, that her car would have an interesting time carrying around my 14 foot canoe, but im sure i can figure that out. i will need to get some better cold weather gear though
I carry my 16' Old Town on my wife's Hyundai Sonata all the time. Yakima roof rack is a wonderful thing. There's a large initial buy in, but it's been wonderfully handy. I've carried everything from the canoe, to 16 8' 2x4s (to build a canoe rack) to a 130lb Amish built oak bed frame that we drove to Arlington VA from Western Kentucky (that was pushing it). Definitely cheaper than owning two cars.

Right now we are doing great with just a roof-racked Sonata and the TU. Go for it!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #7988
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,083
Driven a few what?

You are not talking about riding a TU are you?

Not low tech at all, fuel injection, plated bore, very robust motor with a modern piston setup that runs cool and uses no oil.

There is no style really, wheels, frame, gas tank, motor, its other bikes that add road race bike style and lots of extra unneeded plastic.
Or have a bike look like a Harley.

Power is typical for an air cooled 250cc bike with 2 valves.
Its got a wide power band, its smooth, and the bike is light.
If you depend on just a throttle to go fast, its too small.
But if you learn how to get the most out of it and learn how to ride, it does fine.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
I've driven a few.

Nice looking bike, makes a nice commuter for short and light folk. That said, I know a 6'4 grunt who rides one with high bars.

Personally - they seem like style above substance. Underpowered, crap gearbox and old tech, but not good old tech.

Plus side - low maintenance, engine wise anyhow. Other than that, not much for me.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #7989
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: NOVA
Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
When I was about 22 to 25, I had a 1979 Triumph as my only transportation for a year.
I had no problem with it.
The few times it snowed enough to be a bother I got a ride to work.
im lucky in that the company i work for does not want us operating company vehicles when there is snow on the ground, so that isnt much of a problem for me.
besides, when the weather calls for snow and ice, i drive my fiancee to work anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
I carry my 16' Old Town on my wife's Hyundai Sonata all the time. Yakima roof rack is a wonderful thing. There's a large initial buy in, but it's been wonderfully handy. I've carried everything from the canoe, to 16 8' 2x4s (to build a canoe rack) to a 130lb Amish built oak bed frame that we drove to Arlington VA from Western Kentucky (that was pushing it). Definitely cheaper than owning two cars.

Right now we are doing great with just a roof-racked Sonata and the TU. Go for it!
ill have to look into that. i had always ben worried that the roof bars would be spaced to close together to do a good job of dealing with the canoe. it would be a hell of a lot easier lifting the canoe on top of her car then my truck....

PS: nice to see another nova TU owner on here. seems to be a handful of us in the asylum
__________________
"While it may be to early to drink scotch, it is never to early to think about drinking scotch."

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #7990
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant
 
Jacl-Kampuchea's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: I see Drunk People.
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Driven a few what?

You are not talking about riding a TU are you?

Not low tech at all, fuel injection, plated bore, very robust motor with a modern piston setup that runs cool and uses no oil.

There is no style really, wheels, frame, gas tank, motor, its other bikes that add road race bike style and lots of extra unneeded plastic.
Or have a bike look like a Harley.

Power is typical for an air cooled 250cc bike with 2 valves.
Its got a wide power band, its smooth, and the bike is light.
If you depend on just a throttle to go fast, its too small.
But if you learn how to get the most out of it and learn how to ride, it does fine.
Yup, they are called Volty's or ST250's over here, as all the ones in Cambodia generally come as secondhand imports from Japan. Common as muck. really

Though, having just done some research I see they now come with FI -that I did not know. I've probably driven about five days on three of the carbed versions and was unimpressed, but that just my opinion.

Were I to purchase throwback style bike it would be a Kwacker Estrella.
__________________
CambodiaYeah!
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #7991
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,083
Other places in the world have a lot more choices, but in the US, if you want a simple air cooled street bike that is under 400 pounds, choices are very limited.
And the only other vintage looking bike is the Moto Guzzi V7 at $9000.00+ or the new Bonneville at 500+ pounds, or a sportster at 600 pounds.

For a low price (I got my bike new for $3000.00) you get a very reliable bike with fuel injection, that is big enough for most adults, that has a low cost suspension that at least handles the weight, even 2 up, has enough seat room and comfort to ride 2 up, that is nimble, yet very stable at 85 mph. You can get various racks to carry stuff without having to use hard luggage, it gets 80 mpg, runs regular gas, has a good range with a 3+ gallon gas tank, a VERY good headlight.

In the US, I think we only have the cbr250 and the Ninja 300 as smaller street bikes.
I am not sure if the 250 twin Honda rebel is still sold here, or the gz250 single from Suzuki, but both are feet forward low seat very small Harley looking bikes.
The cbr and the Ninja are much heavier, and have a lot less room for a passenger and cargo, but they do make more power.

Nothing really special about the TU, just a good basic bike for a low price that likes abuse and just keeps running.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #7992
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer
 
Lacedaemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
ill have to look into that. i had always ben worried that the roof bars would be spaced to close together to do a good job of dealing with the canoe. it would be a hell of a lot easier lifting the canoe on top of her car then my truck....

PS: nice to see another nova TU owner on here. seems to be a handful of us in the asylum

I just got the bike this summer - my first. Seems to work really well in this area. Arlington is a little bit crowded, but there are some really nice roads in Fairfax County that I can get to without too much trouble. The twistys between Fountainhead Park and Clifton west of 123 seem to be about perfect for this bike. The GW Parkway is nice too.

I think as long as the car is a 4 door or a two door with a reasonably long roofline, any synthetic material canoe will be fine (the spread on our bars is about 30" IIRC). If you have a classy wooden or birch bark canoe, you will need a secondary rack to spread the load wider, but these are easy to construct from $30 of parts at home depot, and don't have to be on the car unless the canoe is also. PM me if you want to discuss - I used to sell them at a bike shop and could probably help you get the right setup. I am new at this motorcycle thing, but I enjoy enabling people
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #7993
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer
 
Lacedaemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Other places in the world have a lot more choices, but in the US, if you want a simple air cooled street bike that is under 400 pounds, choices are very limited.
And the only other vintage looking bike is the Moto Guzzi V7 at $9000.00+ or the new Bonneville at 500+ pounds, or a sportster at 600 pounds.
This really was the key for me. I wanted a simple bike that was lightweight to learn on, and didn't cost a ton. Not many choices in the US. Plus, my wife loves it, which made the domestic negotiations a lot easier. I like the Bonnevilles and Moto Guzzis a lot, but they are a bit too dear right now.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #7994
Txjack
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Spring,Tx.
Oddometer: 24
Riding

One of my long awaited bucket lists has finally come to pass. My oldest son purchased a 2012 CBR250r last week& I look forward to many a mile of riding with him. All my kids grew up riding on back of various bikes with me and it will be great to be able to ride next to one of them for a change. CBR was originally on my short list, but after riding his i'm glad I chose the TU.
Txjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #7995
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,083
Why, the seating position?

I sat on one and thought the seat was bad, and can never imagine having a passenger on the back.
With the TU, I have my wife on the back, and still have the over the tail light rack with a tail bag on it, and we have plenty of room.

The cbr is likely a great bike for a solo rider that is not going to carry much, a fun ride only bike?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjack View Post
One of my long awaited bucket lists has finally come to pass. My oldest son purchased a 2012 CBR250r last week& I look forward to many a mile of riding with him. All my kids grew up riding on back of various bikes with me and it will be great to be able to ride next to one of them for a change. CBR was originally on my short list, but after riding his i'm glad I chose the TU.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014