Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #796
artemedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
How's the turbulance at 60mph? Any increased buffeting around your head or increased wind noise?

I will have to get back to you on this one, but I haven't noticed much turbulence or buffeting yet. I just don't have enough seat time. The short ride to work this morning was quite pleasant.

I also purchased a winter helmet and have wore it both times I have rode since installing the windshield. The wind noise actually seems less, however I really need to get my old helmet out to compare wind noise. I like the snow helmet because it doesn't fog up like my old full face. Seems warmer too.

With these little tweaks (new helmet, windshield) I will probably be more likely to commute on some of those days I opted for the car. In December I rode to work on days like this morning and it took me 10 minutes or so to warm up at work if I didn't wear the Michelin man winter riding suit. This morning I was not chilled at all and didn't wear the suit, just rain pants and my normal riding jacket. I am sure a lot of this is the warm helmet. This was probably the first sub 30* morning where I truly felt comfortable. The work parking lot came way too soon.
artemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #797
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,212
Anyone looking for a 2009 TU be sure to check cycle trader, some great buys on there, well under $3000.00, even for new bikes, and many places will deliver the bike.
I expect mine to get here Tuesday or Wednesday.
My DR650 sold, so I am stoked about the new bike, plus its supposed to get quite warm out, 57F!!!!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #798
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Anyone from this thread live on the Big Island of Hawaii in the Puna district? Saw a 2009 Tu250 (red) at the Makuu Market today (sunday).
Jon
Birdmove, I read earlier your intent to move to the Islands ,have you selected a bike for there yet? I have the 09 TU250X but its setting in my garage in Ohio for the last 2 1/2 mos, I envy your current location. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #799
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemedes View Post
I will have to get back to you on this one, but I haven't noticed much turbulence or buffeting yet. I just don't have enough seat time. The short ride to work this morning was quite pleasant.

I also purchased a winter helmet and have wore it both times I have rode since installing the windshield. The wind noise actually seems less, however I really need to get my old helmet out to compare wind noise. I like the snow helmet because it doesn't fog up like my old full face. Seems warmer too.

With these little tweaks (new helmet, windshield) I will probably be more likely to commute on some of those days I opted for the car. In December I rode to work on days like this morning and it took me 10 minutes or so to warm up at work if I didn't wear the Michelin man winter riding suit. This morning I was not chilled at all and didn't wear the suit, just rain pants and my normal riding jacket. I am sure a lot of this is the warm helmet. This was probably the first sub 30* morning where I truly felt comfortable. The work parking lot came way too soon.
Thanks!
I'll keep checking back for updates and waiting for my Insurance or tax refund check to get here.
As hard as it is right now with the weather looking better; at least I can't rush into things and worry about regretts.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #800
ToesNose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Wink Chic Design Classic customized

Yup more time on my hands. I had fun painting up Lil Thux, but then I saw the links to Chic Design's website with all the ST250 parts (asian TU250X) I found the Chic ST250 Classic especially yummy and had to play with the pic abit LOL.

ToesNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #801
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
That makes the tu even more classic then it looks stock. Brilliant.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #802
NJ-Brett
Brett

Does anyone know what the ramp and roller thing is hooked up to on the throttle body in the pic below?
http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/q...50X_engine.jpg

It looks like the throttle cables go to the throttle valve, above the ramp and roller thing is an adjustemnt, (yellow with slot) that people adjust for idle speed, not sure if that is a bypass port for idle speed or what.
The ramp and roller does something, what?

Most FI setups have a throttle plate and a throttle position sensor, some have a bypass port to set idle speed, and an idle position adjuster, some have a stepper motor that adjusts the idle speed for cold start.

Does the TU have something that bumps up the idle speed for cold start?
Can anyone say what the ramp and roller setup is hooked up to?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #803
NJ-Brett
Brett

My bike is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and its supposed to be in the 60's, and I have Thursday to Tuesday off, sounds like a winner!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #804
TheSweep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
How's the turbulance at 60mph? Any increased buffeting around your head or increased wind noise?

Brett...the pm was sent through your ADV link and should come up under private messages . (but since you don't g to the shops, never mind. L.O.L.!) I also do all my own maint but was looking at buying a 92 GS500 in your neck of the woods.

I have a windsceen that is just about that size. I get hardcore buffeting and a lot more wind noise. But it's worth it because it makes highway speeds easier and doesn't mess with the look of the bike too much.
TheSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #805
NJ-Brett
Brett

I got my bike today.
Romney cycles in West Virginia is great!
Great prices, great service.

I initial impressions are, the bike is small. The bike is SLOW!

All I did was go around the block a few times, the next two days are supposed to get very warm so I will put some miles on the bike.

The bike seems comfortable, even though its small, the brakes work very well, the exhaust is way too quiet.

I found out what the roller and ramp gizmo is in my post above, its the idle speed control setup, it bumps up the idle speed on a cold start.

I checked out the air intake, it looks a bit small, and the very quiet exhaust likely costs a few horsepower as well.
The bike also seems to need a bigger front sprocket, 1st gear is very low, but I have to get out on the road and up to speed to check out 5th gear.
The front forks sag a little, I might add some preload in the future.

Sure is an easy bike to ride.
I think it just needs a little more power, most 250's feel much stronger then the TU, but since it only has 1 mile on it, I did not run it up much.

The bike looks stunning in person (to me).
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #806
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
1st gear is very low
Yes. Yes it is. I always thought that as well. Whats the use of it if you're already in second and you're still at parking lot speeds? Just think of it as a 4 speed.

But seriously, congrats on the bike. I hope you enjoy it!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #807
ToesNose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Gratz Brett!

Best of luck with the new wheels =)
Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #808
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToesNose View Post
Yup more time on my hands. I had fun painting up Lil Thux, but then I saw the links to Chic Design's website with all the ST250 parts (asian TU250X) I found the Chic ST250 Classic especially yummy and had to play with the pic abit LOL.

now that's the look that should have come from suzuki!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 AM   #809
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Congratulations Brett!

You're not surprised that it's "SLOW" are you?!

Wish me luck. At 8 am I'm heading off to apply for my loan for a TU as I heard word from the Insurance Co. that they're getting ready to pay out.

Dr gets stolen, weather turns nicer...figures! I'm going nuts!

First thing I did yesterday was order a Gorilla alarm system with a pager so I'll know when/if someone is screwing with the thing. (I'll pick up a good chain/lock while I'm at the Dealership too)
Currently bidding on a windshield on e-bay and have a large top box on the way to mount where the rear seat goes. (ugly but, makes sense for a commuter and it's lockable and I wont have to relocate the rear turn signals)

I notice you have a weird work schedule as well. (do you work retail like I do?) How far in N.J. are you? You might just find a TU riding buddy here. My schedule is all over the place and it makes it hard to ride with anyone since most people have off on the weekends when I have to work.

Best!
James
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 AM   #810
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I got my bike today.
Romney cycles in West Virginia is great!
Great prices, great service.

I initial impressions are, the bike is small. The bike is SLOW!

All I did was go around the block a few times, the next two days are supposed to get very warm so I will put some miles on the bike.

The bike seems comfortable, even though its small, the brakes work very well, the exhaust is way too quiet.

I found out what the roller and ramp gizmo is in my post above, its the idle speed control setup, it bumps up the idle speed on a cold start.

I checked out the air intake, it looks a bit small, and the very quiet exhaust likely costs a few horsepower as well.
The bike also seems to need a bigger front sprocket, 1st gear is very low, but I have to get out on the road and up to speed to check out 5th gear.
The front forks sag a little, I might add some preload in the future.

Sure is an easy bike to ride.
I think it just needs a little more power, most 250's feel much stronger then the TU, but since it only has 1 mile on it, I did not run it up much.

The bike looks stunning in person (to me).
Brett,

Congrats on the new TU - great deal you got! I am very interested in your impressions of this bike as you and I seem to have similar tastes in bikes (my DR650 is my primary ride these days and I am very interested in getting a Sportster).

Re: your initial impression that the bike is small: when I sat on a TU, I thought the bike was too small for me (and I am only 5'8 and I like small bikes). Maybe I have gotten too comfortable with all the room I have on the DR.

So the bike is slow? That was my second concern. I got the feeling it might be too slow to comfortably ride with all the insane cagers here in the 'burbs. In Atlanta, speed limits are meaningless, if the sign says 45, everyone is going 60. They all drive like they are in the Daytona 500 all the time here.

I think the TU should be a fine dirt road bike.

I still do not understand why the OEMs have abandoned the 350-500cc twins, which were fantastic, do-everything bikes. My 1978 Honda Hawk 400 was a much better street bike than my DR650, engine was smooth as silk, the bike had plenty of power (faster than any cage), got great mpg and the bike's size was perfect - not too small, not too big. I used my Hawk for everything, from daily commuting to school and work, to LD trips, to off roading and it did fine as long as I avoided mud.

Keep me posted about the TU and especially if you can live with its lack of power. I think this bike would have been a lot more useful here in Atlanta as a 350 or 400cc twin.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote