Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #811
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Brett,

Congrats on the new TU - great deal you got! I am very interested in your impressions of this bike as you and I seem to have similar tastes in bikes (my DR650 is my primary ride these days and I am very interested in getting a Sportster).

Re: your initial impression that the bike is small: when I sat on a TU, I thought the bike was too small for me (and I am only 5'8 and I like small bikes). Maybe I have gotten too comfortable with all the room I have on the DR.

So the bike is slow? That was my second concern. I got the feeling it might be too slow to comfortably ride with all the insane cagers here in the 'burbs. In Atlanta, speed limits are meaningless, if the sign says 45, everyone is going 60. They all drive like they are in the Daytona 500 all the time here.

I think the TU should be a fine dirt road bike.

I still do not understand why the OEMs have abandoned the 350-500cc twins, which were fantastic, do-everything bikes. My 1978 Honda Hawk 400 was a much better street bike than my DR650, engine was smooth as silk, the bike had plenty of power (faster than any cage), got great mpg and the bike's size was perfect - not too small, not too big. I used my Hawk for everything, from daily commuting to school and work, to LD trips, to off roading and it did fine as long as I avoided mud.

Keep me posted about the TU and especially if you can live with its lack of power. I think this bike would have been a lot more useful here in Atlanta as a 350 or 400cc twin.
Wow!
Funny how people gravitate towards similar bikes.
Amongs other bikes ...I've had DR650s, also a 78 400 Hawk and and old AMF/HD sportster. (th Hog was a pos I'm still trying to forget!).

I'm willing to bet you also like Guzzi's (olde ones) and Bonnevilles.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #812
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Wow!
Funny how people gravitate towards similar bikes.
Amongs other bikes ...I've had DR650s, also a 78 400 Hawk and and old AMF/HD sportster. (th Hog was a pos I'm still trying to forget!).

I'm willing to bet you also like Guzzi's (olde ones) and Bonnevilles.
Great minds think alike! I love Bonnies and old Guzzis. My short list for my next bike - 1. Sportster 883R or 883 Iron; 2. Bonneville T100; and 3. Kawasaki W650.

I really wish Kawasaki would import their new W400 and W800, I would definitely buy one.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #813
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Yes, since we are here on the tu250 thread, it would be people who tend to like old standard bikes, like old and new Triumphs, sportsters, the TU, the cb400ss, the Honda sl350, xl250's, moto guzzi v7 classic, etc.

I work 830 to 5, but sometimes work outside that, and I am always on call sort of.
I know how it is for the weather to warm up and not have a bike, but I try and avoid that if at all possible!

2 miles on my bike and the drill came out, I drilled four 1/2 inch holes around the center of the exhaust. Its a bit louder, not a lot, and it feels like the power went up quite a bit, and no odd effects with the FI system.

I may eventualy get an Emgo universal fit silencer, they can be had for about $50.00 and they have metal baffles, not fiberglass.
I DO like the idea of the catalytic converter though, cleans things up a bit.

I plan on changing the oil and filter at about 100 miles as I break bikes in hard.
I had very good luck with that over the years, basically ride it like normal but don't let it get hot and vary the throttle a lot, let off every 20 seconds or so....

Stock, the TU seems very underpowered, but I think simple mods will boost the power quite a bit, and i bet a 16 tooth front sprocket will improve things even more.

The TU is small, but it seems comfortable, it looks easy to lower the pegs a little, and pad the seat up a little, but at 6 foot, I fit on the bike, its a question of getting used to a new bike, its much different from the dr650!
That is a big tall heavy powerful bike, so some adjustment will be needed.

The sportster 1200 is longer, heavier by 230 or more pounds, but the seat height is lower then the TU I think, the stock suspension is much worse, the stock seat is much worse, the ergonomics are much worse, its got loads of power. My 2009 is still for sale, sure to get a lot of nibbles after that stunning review!
I did upgrade the suspension and seat.

I am going to put some miles on the TU today, and will post a more detailed review.
I know the power went up at least 3 hp from the drilling....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #814
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

Oddometer: 644
75mph on 95, all the way to work today.

why on earth was i considering selling this thing? if i ever do that again, someone punch me. for real.

bought a pair of irc rs310s. they cannot come soon enough. i've had it with these crapass cheng shins.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #815
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh uh no way View Post
75mph on 95, all the way to work today.

why on earth was i considering selling this thing? if i ever do that again, someone punch me. for real.

bought a pair of irc rs310s. they cannot come soon enough. i've had it with these crapass cheng shins.
OK we'll make sure you don't sell it. BTW I like that helmet - looks very retro. What make is it?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #816
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

thanks. z1r jimmy retro. comes in many color combinations.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #817
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Well...she's home!
What a pretty silver color in the sunlight.
As soon as the alarm and the top-box arrive, I'll be installing those and taking some pics for you guys.
Biggest headache I can see will be securing the mounting plate for the top-bos since the rear fender humps up between the seat rails (or whatever you want to call that loop section of the frame under the rear seat)
What really surprised me was the amount of cornering clearance the TU has vs the 08 XT250 I had. A couple of hot corners scrubbing in the ol'sneakers and nothing touched down. Hmmmmnnnn? No wonder this bike is getting good reviews.
She sure likes to be short shifted too. (must be a fairly long stroke for such a small engine) Bonus, although not cutting edge, the suspension sure works pretty darn well too.
Overall, I'm happy with the package and like its flickable nature.
Biggest gripe = the too narrow mirrors. Thank goodness for extenders. (that will be getting ordered tonight)

Any good tips for a good trouble free method of removing that FUGLY gas tank warning label.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #818
nuh uh no way
gutsy thumper

"flickable" is probably the best descriptor i've heard thus far.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #819
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Any good tips for a good trouble free method of removing that FUGLY gas tank warning label.
Hair dryer, goo gone and patience.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #820
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, I did 90 miles on the Tu today, wonderful weather!
Very comfortable to ride, needs a 16 tooth front sprocket bad, I must have attempted to shift into 6th gear 100 times today.
I took the bike to Cherry Hill Suzuki to get some oil filters, and the parts guy wanted to look at the bike having never heard of one, it almost seemed like he wanted one....
I got 3 filters, took the long way home and changed the oil.
No metal, but the oil got dark.
I put valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil in and the shifting got better.
I was really zipping around in the twisties, like my 1969 Triumph Daytona, I run out of balls before the bike does...
Even pushing it hard (I thought) had the bike just go through the turn with no issues. Like the Daytona, after every turn, I always think I could have taken it a lot faster.
I do think the Daytona handled a bit better, not sure exactly why, but the TU is very close.
I had the bike up to 75 mph, and also tried to invoke the rev limiter, but there is none or its way up insane high.

The bike seems like it would pull a 16 tooth front sprocket well, maybe even more, and that is all it needs to run at higher speeds for extended runs, plus it would likely increase the mpg even more...

The holes I drilled in the exhaust had no effect on the FI system, but seem to have boosted power, and I can hear the motor now.
My next experiment will be to take off the front part of the air filter to let more air in.

I really need the 16 tooth sprocket, anyone know where to get one/part number???

I am very pleased with the bike.

As you can tell, I am breaking the bike in hard, that is why the oil change at about 60 miles.
On my shopping list are a new jacket (they cut mine off after the last crash), the 16 tooth sprocket, a tail bag so I can run errands...

For my weight, I think I could use better rear shocks, but the stock shocks work very well, and the springs are good for my weight.
Thats just nit picking.

The TU really is a hoot to ride.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #821
NJ-Brett
Brett

Congratulations on the new bike!

Quote:
Well...she's home!
As soon as the alarm and the top-box arrive, I'll be installing those and taking some pics for you guys.
Biggest headache I can see will be securing the mounting plate for the top-bos since the rear fender humps up between the seat rails (or whatever you want to call that loop section of the frame under the rear seat)
What really surprised me was the amount of cornering clearance the TU has vs the 08 XT250 I had. A couple of hot corners scrubbing in the ol'sneakers and nothing touched down. Hmmmmnnnn? No wonder this bike is getting good reviews.
She sure likes to be short shifted too. (must be a fairly long stroke for such a small engine) Bonus, although not cutting edge, the suspension sure works pretty darn well too.
Biggest gripe = the too narrow mirrors. Thank goodness for extenders. (that will be getting ordered tonight)

Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #822
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I really need the 16 tooth sprocket, anyone know where to get one/part number???
JT Sprockets Catalogue

Suzuki TU250 X

2009 to 2010

Front Sprocket:

JTF434

Teeth:

Front sprocket available in: 13, 14, 15, 16 teeth

Type

Remark

Country

Year

13 teeth

Suzuki

DR250 Z/D/F

82-85

GF250 D

14 teeth

Suzuki

DR250 S-Z,E,F,G,H

SJ41A

82-87

DR500 X/Z/D

81-83

DR500 Z,D Off Road Enduro

83-84

15 teeth

Suzuki

DR250 S

SJ41A

DR250 S-Z,E,F,G,H

SJ41A

82-87

GN250 All

82-99

GN250 Z/D/F/J

82-88

GZ250

99-10

GZ250

GZ250 Marauder

04-10

GZ250 Marauder

GZ250 Marauder

99-00

SP250 Z/D/F

82-85

TU250 X

09-10

TU250 X

98-00

VL250 Intruder LC

00-04

DR370 C/N

78-79

SP370

79-82

SP370 C,N

77-80

SP370 C/N

78-79

SP400

79-82

SP400

SP400 T

DR500 S-X,Z

81-83

SP500 X/Z/D

81-83

16 teeth

Suzuki

DR400 S-T,X,Z

80-83

DR400 T

GN400 T T/X/Z

80-82

GN400 TT ,D,LX

80-82

GN400 X T/X

80-81

You would need part number JTF434.16

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #823
NJ-Brett
Brett

Thanks for the sprocket info!
It looks like the sprocket is the same as a drz400, so I ordered one of those from procycle.
I think it will help a lot.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #824
NJ-Brett
Brett

Why not get a tail bag instead of a top box?

I am working on getting that stupid sticker off my gas tank also...

Quote:
Well...she's home!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #825
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Thanks for the sprocket info!
It looks like the sprocket is the same as a drz400, so I ordered one of those from procycle.
I think it is the 1980-83 DR400 not the DRZ400?

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote