Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #841
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Here are some good pictures.

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/newb...uzuki-TU250X-/

Google suzuki tu 250 review and suzuki tu 250 ride reports, lots of reviews, all positive.

I have been riding for more then 30 years, street and dirt, all sorts of bikes, and I love the TU.

It is what it is though, a small underpowered 250.
It works well around town, above about 55 mph, the motor is screaming.
I had my bike up to 80 today, so it can do it, but it does not sound good spinning that fast.
I think the 16 tooth front sprocket will help a lot.

Considering you can get a new one for $3030.00, you might give one a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
I have been riding for 40+ years...

I have an irrational interest in this bike.

Would you all post more pictures!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #842
NJ-Brett
Brett

If you was to do simple mods and gain 3 hp, which is reasonable, you would notice it a lot.
3 hp increase on a bike that makes 40 you can notice, so 3 on one that makes under 17 you will feel.

In my book, the flaw that stands out with the TU is the excessive rpm's above 50 mph. The motor is really screaming, and its not tuned to make more power at very high rpm's.
A few simple reversible mods, and a sprocket change might take care of the issue and allow the bike to run comfortably at 65 or 70 mph, and get a better mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryasianguy View Post
While I am all about trying out new things, would a difference of a horsepower really stand out on these TU's? I am new to motorcycling so I am not familiar with modifications.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #843
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oh, I get it.
The guy who bought my dr650 said he had 3 bikes stolen, the last, a drz400 the 2nd day he had it!

Well, good luck with your new bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Because in Reading...if it's not bolted down, locked, or has an alarm = IT'S GONE! (the top box has a lock for my rain gear and tire repair kit to be left on the bike) As much as I was thinking saddle bags and relocating the t-signals (something I still might do after the alarm is instaled) for cosmetic reasons, the top box makes more sense for where I live.

B.T.W. Got mine for $4,600 O.T.D. and it includes all reg. factory scheduled services for 2 years from Montgomeryville cycles. As far from my home as they are, they're always worth dealing with and their one parts guy (Ozzy) has been a permanent fixture since their inception and really knows his stuff. Despite the fact that I do all of my servicing normally...the TU might just get pampered by them since I trust them to do a good job.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #844
NJ-Brett
Brett

second ride report

I did another 80 miles today, post office, doctors to pick up records from my crash, stopped over a friends house (he loved the bike and wants to get 2, one for him, one for his wife), then a longer ride to a local biker watering hole
(Picalilly inn). There were about 100 guys on Harleys there, no other brands, and me on my TU. No one said anything, no one looked at the bike really, which is odd as it looks stunning.

The bike seems to be getting even more comfortable, the handling is great, the brakes seem perfect, and its generally a blast to ride.
The ergonomics are very important to me after a long series of very uncomfortable bikes, and the TU seems great.
Who ever thought you could get a great stock seat on a modern bike!
All day comfortable ride in every respect.

I found high speed wind very good, some bikes seem to blast you with a lot of air or turbulence but it seems nice on the TU, not sure why, maybe its that big headlight, or leaning forward a little, but hiway speeds seem fine without a windshield, at least for me.
Quite different from the Sportster.

Its great fun riding like you are in a race and just keeping up with cars, except in the turns, where you can leave everything else far behind without even trying. I actually had a car pull over on a twisty road to let me by, I must have looked like I was falling asleep or something.

Its also great that you can be behind someone going slow, and think its great, as it gives the motor a break.
On a fast bike, you get annoyed and want to pass, on the TU you think its fine, and would not mind if they lowered the speed limit back down to 55.
My old Daytona was the same way, you did not want to go too fast all the time because the vibration would crack things on the bike.

TU vibration? Not really.
It does have a little when you rev it up high, but nothing like the old bikes I am used to. If you think the TU vibrates, you are spoiled rotten!

Suspension....good for the price.
I weigh about 190 pounds, and I have the rear shocks on the softest position.
They are a tad soft there, but it gives a plush ride.
Unusual on a Japanese bike where they tend to set bikes up for 140 pound riders more often then not.
The front forks are ok, a little bit of excessive sag, and a little under damped for me, easy to fix with some more preload and thicker fork oil.
Something to play with on a rainy day...

The only real downside to the TU seems to be that its geared so low.
1st gear is incredibly low, and in 5th gear, about 40 to 50 mph seems to be where the motor likes to be.
Sure, the bike goes a lot faster, I had it up to 80, but the motor is really screaming.
That is partly to be expected with a 250, but the bike is not styled as a crotch rocket and it seems odd to have the motor spinning at 8000 rpm at 60 mph.
A 16 tooth front sprocket should help.
I will see how that does, and there may be smaller rear sprockets as well.
1st gear is low enough that gearing up should be no problem at all.
I tried taking off in 2nd gear, and that was a little too tall for the limited power the TU has (but I did it).

Shifting...as others have reported, it can get a little rough when the motor is hot, I expect that to clear up as the motor breaks in.
Rough is a relative term tho, its nothing like my old Daytona which took firm foot action all the time.

I changed the oil and filter at 80 miles because I have been beating the bike, full throttle, higher rpm's, but no extended large throttle openings, no steady throttle, etc, and the oil got quite dark at 80 miles.
Another 80 miles and the oil does not look dark at all.
After 2000 miles, I plan on switching to synthetic.

Tires....they are cheap tires, but it does not seem to matter on the TU, maybe because the bike works so well, the tires cant spoil it.
I was really zipping around some very tight turns, no traction problems, nothing came close to ground contact.
I was even taking turns quite fast where the road was wet (snow melt) and it felt fine.
I did some very hard stops and no issue there.
Love the brakes, or rather the low weight of the bike...

Looks....
I think the bike looks stunning. Much better then in the pictures.
The paint is fantastic, all the hardware is top quality, everything seems solid and well put together, and has a nice finish.
I like to just look at the bike, like some others I have owned, the old Triumphs (not the new one), the Harleys.
The DR650 was one fun bike, but I never wanted to look at it, just ride it.
The new Bonneville I did not want to look at or ride much.
I like looking at the sportster, riding it more then 1/2 hour is not much fun.

Headlight... man, for a little inexpensive bike, it sure does work well!
Better then any other bike I ever had I think.

My rating, 95 out of 100, the bigger front sprocket might get it up to 99.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #845
jimmr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Come over South Jersey and we can go out in the pinelands, lots of nice roads out there.
Or meet up in Trenton and ride up 32 along the river.

A virtual TU mob with three of us...
I'd be up for making it four, getting down to Trenton would be a nice little adventure for me. I'm out of town a lot this year though; first decent riding weather of the year and I've been in Austin, Tx all week.
jimmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #846
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
What a compact design...

So compact in fact that, it looks like I'll have to wait for my top box to come in so I'll have a place to mount the Alarm system as there is NO available space ANYWHERE to mount the damn thing. Not under the seats, or the side covers or even under the tank or in the headlight shell.
Looks like it'll be mounted IN the freaking top box.

I've also been monitoring e-bay for a rear seat so I can use the seat pan to mount the base for my top-box on. No dice so far and I'll probably just end up using the one from my bike and be careful when stripping the upholstery from it in case I want to re-do it.

rivercreep screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 04:39 PM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #847
NJ-Brett
Brett

How big is the alarm?
It seems there is some room under the front seat part, I had it off and thought I could fit a pair of gloves under there if the seat was hinged like the old bikes...

Also, above that heat sink thing behind the motor, but someone could get at it there, and might steal the alarm!

You can likely order a rear seat on the web, or directly from Suzuki.

http://www.onlinecyclepart.com/pages...d/default.aspx

$122.00....
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #848
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
TU 250 Power Commander

The Power Commander for the bike is now available for those with spare cash This is the solution if you really want to start messing with the FI system. For now I'll try my low restriction muffler with the $10.00 variable resistor temperature sensor trick and see how it works. Here is the link http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...PartNum=20-011
The good news is that we are actually seeing a few aftermarket parts for the bike at last
Brett - your making me jealous with your mid winter rides - it just freakin snowed here again but I'm glad you like the bike. Very interested in hearing the result of your sprocket upgrade. As you said, it might be the one single, cheap mod that will really improve the overall performance of this bike especially at higher speeds
Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #849
NJ-Brett
Brett

I may eventually spring for the power commander and the auto tune.
A lot of money, but the system will act like a car, auto adjusting the mixture at all times.
If you change something, the system will just adjust for it, and you will always have the correct air/fuel ratio, from idle to full throttle.
I suppose it will boost power a few horses, and intake and exhaust mods will get even more.
I suspect you can get over 20 hp and a wider power band....

While the bike is never going to be quick, it may ride very nicely at 70 mph with a gearing change and a little more power.

I don't do much interstate, but many roads have people doing 60, and the TU is spinning quite fast at that speed.

What variable resistor mod are you doing?
I would hate to hack into the wire harness.
I do a lot of electronics, I built my own ham radio station, so I am comfortable working on electronics and have a bunch of multi turn variable resistors and so on.

Still, I would be tempted to try the mod to see the effect of a slightly richer mixture.
I checked the spark plug, it does not look bad but its on the lean side like all modern fuel injected stuff.

If you have the details, let me know, and if there is a way to try it without to much hacking, I will give it a go.

I may get a short ride in today, the big problem is the wife, not the weather!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #850
NJ-Brett
Brett

Yes, its really hard for me to arrange a ride as the wife keeps me busy!
Almost all my riding has been solo over the years, as people have other things to do, and when I get some free time, I just hop on and ride!
Trenton is a great place to start, I go up 206 and hop on 29 to Trenton, the ride up 32 and 611 its fantastic and made for the TU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmr View Post
I'd be up for making it four, getting down to Trenton would be a nice little adventure for me. I'm out of town a lot this year though; first decent riding weather of the year and I've been in Austin, Tx all week.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #851
NJ-Brett
Brett

Is this the best gas cap you ever had on a bike or what?
What a wonderful quality piece, and the gas tank has a big fill hole where you can actually see how much gas is in there.
The gas cap on the Harley is a joke, little and plastic, you have to scratch the paint on the tank getting it off, and the fill hole just fits the nozzle.

Who would have thought you would get such a quality piece on an inexpensive bike.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #852
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Brett, I am really enjoying your ride reports on your new TU. I agree with you that riding a slower bike can be a really fun experience if you have the correct frame of mind. I've owned a lot of bikes, some fast, some slow. On all my fast bikes, once I got to the "good" roads, i would be constantly passing slower cages because they were "ruining" my riding experience by going so slow - which in turn, makes one a more dangerous rider because eventually you start passing on double yellows because it is so easy to do. Then looking for LEOs all the time since you are riding at ticket or arrest speed. Not a relaxing experience although is certainly gets the adrenalin flowing.

Now I am an old fart on slow bikes, having the time of my life, actually looking at scenery and not getting pissed off when I get behind cages.

I am surprised to hear that the TU is happiest between 40 and 50 mph, that is too slow for a 250. In fact, that is exactly the sweet spot of my 125 scooter! I can easily get the scooter above 60, but it is not having much fun at that speed and 60 is not a speed you would want to spend a lot of time at. Sounds like the TU and my scooter have a lot in common!

My DR650 loves to be ridden at any speed, but it has a sweet spot right around 60 - 70 mph. This makes for a very versatile ride as i do not like interstates and stay as far away from them as possible. But many state roads around here have 55 or 65 mph speed limits and you will be run over if you don't go with the traffic flow. The DR will happily run all day at 70 plus without breaking a sweat, but I prefer it below 70 as the wind resistance is a non-issue then.

If the TU had a sweet spot of say, 50-60 mph, I would be seriously interested in one. That is the sweet spot of my Shadow.

I am interested to hear how a 16 tooth front sprocket will help the TU.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #853
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, part of it is break in, part of it is coming from a Harley and a dr650, both of those spin sort of slow at 60 to 70 mph.
A 250 is a different animal, and its likely happy at 60 mph, it just sounds like its screaming. Sure wish the bike had a tach.
As a guess, looking at the dyno curve, the bike would be best if the motor was turning about 7000 rpm at about 80 mph roughly.
Peak power is about 7000 rpm, so you would want that at top speed or close to it. Say 80 or 85 mph.

As it is, the peak power of 7000 rpm seems to happen around 60 mph, just a guess without a tach.
The other 4 valve motor likely peaks at about 9000 rpm, which would be 80 mph...........

But first gear is incredibly low, it seems like 6000 rpm is about 3 mph.
That might be a Suzuki screw up where they did not change the gearing from the other 250 version that has 4 valves and is designed to rev up to 11,000 rpm or something.
But Suzuki changed the cam, the head, went with 2 valves, all to boost low and mid range power, then left it geared the same as the 4 valve motor.

Just like the soft suspension on the dr650, they never changed that for the US market and the bikes are set up for 120 to 140 pound riders, not 200 pound riders, and even with the lighter riders, it would be soft in the dirt.
14 years and a new 2011 dr650 still has the incredibly soft suspension...

I am sure the 16 tooth sprocket will improve things a lot, and the bike wont have any problems pulling it.
It may seem close to normal when taking off in 1st.
I have had a lot of 250cc bikes, and not one of them was anywhere near as low as the tu first gear! I don't think most 125's are as low.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #854
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I am sure the 16 tooth sprocket will improve things a lot, and the bike wont have any problems pulling it.
It may seem close to normal when taking off in 1st.
I have had a lot of 250cc bikes, and not one of them was anywhere near as low as the tu first gear! I don't think most 125's are as low.

Sounds like the 16t rear and a slightly taller profile rear tire would make a world of difference on the TU. Digging your reports so keep em' coming.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #855
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 814
Brett I agree with your report on the TU except the engine speed at 60. I've been riding a KLR 650 and it spins pretty fast at 60. The TU didn't sound to fast at an indicated 65-70. The wind was amazing I was over taken by an 18 wheeler and didn't notice any buffeting when he past. I had thought about a windscreen but I think it would mess it up.
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote