Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #106
zipizap
Sky High

Oddometer: 3
My new TU

Picked up my TU Friday- she's a beauty.

Unfortunately, the first thing I did was drop her when rolling her off my pickup bed. Fortunately, I was able to cusihion the fall somewhat... broke the right rear turn signal and the right mirror... but I've already ordered replacement parts. Otherwise the bike did fine, no harm at all to the tank, exhaust, pegs, levers or plastic bits.

I took manfromthestix' advice and removed the stickers. Got a good laugh from the sticker on the gas tank, which warns you not to ride while drunk.

What a great bike she is... perfect size for my 5'7" frame, comfy seat, plenty of power, sure-footed on rough gravel and wet pavement. Fuel injection system works great. And the exhaust note is satisfyingly growly while quiet enough so I can keep the peace with my neighbors. Can hardly wait to drive her on the open road.

Little Zuki! Pix with windscreen forthcoming.
zipizap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #107
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,926
Glad the damage was minimal. Can't wait to see the windscreen pics.
We looked at a couple different one's for Susan's bike:

This one was for me :

-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #108
fish3006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
the black one is snappy.
fish3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #109
jhgann
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm thinking about getting a TU250 in the future. What's the info on the black one on the bottom? Cause I love it. Brand, cost, designed specifically for the TU?
jhgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #110
Metallic Waste

It's an Emgo Cafe Fairing. Universal-fit and usually available from any dealer or mom and pop-type shops. I tried on all of those shields at Midwest Cycle Supply. If I had the money, I'd love to build a little Cafe TU, using that fairing.
-K

--GSAnderson
Old 11-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #111
Metallic Waste

-K

--GSAnderson
Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #112
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Kevin:

1) Still pleased with the TU overall?

2) What happened to the windshield??

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #113
Moonpatrol
Yeah yeah yeah

Oddometer: 4
Bad Advice? Harley Sportster or a Tu250?

I was told be some experienced riders at work, that when I said I was looking at a Suzuki TU250, that it was too slow. Well the Sportster weighs over 500lbs and I am only 155lbs. So I figure This 250 is 200 lbs lighter. I bet the 250 will be plenty fast getting on the occasional freeway or highway. Please someone tell me are my friends wrong? I'm suspicious of them because they ride big Japanese cruisers and one of them doesn't wear a helmet, which I judge him to be therefore a kind of idiot. The harley I'm looking at is very new and I can get it for a decent price and I already test rode it, and found it a little hard to handle at slow speed. I am a beginner in a practical sense.
Moonpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #114
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
I wouldn't worry about the TU250 being too slow at all. While it won't want to cruise comfortably all day at 80mph it will certainly do 60-65 for hours on end and be 200 lbs lighter than the Sportster. I say go for it, you won't regret it!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #115
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpatrol
...which I judge him to be therefore a kind of idiot....

I would NEVER recommend a Sportster to anyone for anything other than it is generally the cheapest rental motorcycle available just incase you are in some epic riding place and all that is available is H-Ds for rent and you are bikeless.

The Sportster is a pig of bike, shakes like a paint shaker has poor brakes and they don't even get respect in the H-D crowd .

LITTLE BIKES ARE THE BEST! I love small bikes they are so much fun to ride. I have a big 1150R BMW and it's a great bike but I'd never have wanted that beast as a first bike. Riding a small bike on long rides isn't much fun but the rest of the time they're a blast!!!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #116
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I'd take a tricker in a heartbeat! We need that bike in the U.S..
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #117
Moonpatrol
Yeah yeah yeah

Oddometer: 4
Harley Sportster has been around a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater
I wouldn't worry about the TU250 being too slow at all. While it won't want to cruise comfortably all day at 80mph it will certainly do 60-65 for hours on end and be 200 lbs lighter than the Sportster. I say go for it, you won't regret it!
I found it hard to set the kick stand on the sportster while sitting, as it was too far forward. That is my biggest complaint. The kickstand is a hugely important component of a bike. the bars kind of curved in which was not what i'm used to, but the bike had a nice sound to the engine, but a stiff rear end.
As for my friends advice about the 250 being too small, I think they are referring to their 200+ lb. bodies being on it, and also forgetting that this machine weighs much less than their big bikes. I could swerve and handle this bike a lot easier than the Harley because I grew up on a yamaha enduro 175 and did jumping, sliding and general zooming around offroad. My other friend likes the Ninja 250 above all others, but I think 6 gears is overkill although necessary for that bike. I'd rather not be shifting all the time .
Moonpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #118
Metallic Waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM
Kevin:

1) Still pleased with the TU overall?

2) What happened to the windshield??

Ned
Susan's loving it still. I took it for an afternoon to get some ADV photo tags.
Cruises comfortably at 60-65. As is typical for a 250cc Thumper, hills and headwinds are your biggest enemies.

It rides and handles brilliantly.

We haven't decided on a shield yet. That will probably happen next Spring, along with a top case so she can commute on it.

Oh, it's Comet Approved!

-K

--GSAnderson
Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 AM   #119
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Kevin:

Thanks for the update.

Trust you will keep us posted if any accessories are added.

Ride safe!

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #120
GEOGATOR

Oddometer: n/a
Laugh My TU250X

I got one, it is stupid fun!!! I have put a Givi A210 windscreen on and I am in the process of mounting Givi E21 side bags. I had to buy the mounting brackets for a F650 GS and will have them modified to fit. This will require moving the rear turn signals. Will send pics when it's done.