Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #151
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
Your a bit slow there, its just been finished

Its been a staple of my evenings entertainment for weeks.

Mezo.
Yeah? Well you didn't tell me about it!

Besides, I haven't seen a photo of the finished project yet So I'm all

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #152
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,866
Quote:
Your a bit slow there, its just been finished

Most DR650's I know of are never finished.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #153
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Oddometer: 532
Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the satisfaction of reassembling the top end from a complete teardown on my DR. It runs, so that's good. Been watching. Mucho enjoyo. Inspiring for a project of my own to make a DR mine from the frame up.
RearView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #154
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
It is ALIVE!

...shit, I've been poking my nose in here just about everyday. Now I see this it's alive post, and I'm at work....whatever's in that post, I can't see 'cause they block a lot of content via WebSense.
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #155
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Dirty ??, that`s rougher than a badgers arsehole man
Solder it & slip some heat shrink over it, come on dont slip now your doing such a fantastic job, looks the dogs gonads with that tank on now
Mezo.
Yea you're right, unacceptable! But, I think I'll check to see if the Vapor works before I make a permanent connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee
My god that looks good! Once I save up a little I'm going to go balls deep into a progect like that! Post up some more pics will ya? You should be able to finish that baby in a day or two
Thanks, I'm still waiting on the seat and fabbing something for the headlight and windscreen is going to take me a bit.

Thanks Mezo, jtb and Rusty, not done yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearView
Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had the satisfaction of reassembling the top end from a complete teardown on my DR. It runs, so that's good. Been watching. Mucho enjoyo. Inspiring for a project of my own to make a DR mine from the frame up.
Thanks, looking forward to your rebuild thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
It is ALIVE!
...shit, I've been poking my nose in here just about everyday. Now I see this it's alive post, and I'm at work....whatever's in that post, I can't see 'cause they block a lot of content via WebSense.
It's a video clip of the second startup. I just couldn't wait to see if I put the engine back together right (it appears as though I did). I need to adjust the carb still.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #156
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

More TM40

In the video the choke is on and the bike is pretty cold. Not shown in the video, as the bike warms up the idle climbs until I push the choke in which drops the idle but it's still to fast. It's also running very hot (exhaust header was red, scared the poop out of me when I saw it!) and with the choke in it backfires. The backfiring made me think it was a timing problem which had me worried that I had put something together wrong since CDI handles timing. I set the valves, but they were minimally off. The plugs were out while setting the valves and had a bit of black soot on them. I googled around looking for DR650 backfiring issues and there were a couple that were relevant (among the hundreds about backfiring during deceleration). The threads said if you are running too rich fuel can detonate in the exhaust.

Clues:
  1. idles to fast
  2. running hot
  3. backfire in exhaust
  4. soot on plugs
Seems obvious, it's running to rich. According to the HS40 tuning manual the idle circuit must be tuned first. Turn the pilot screw in a half turn at a time until the idle slows or becomes irregular. I got all the way down to 1/4 turn out and she was still idling to fast and backfiring. The TM40 comes from ProCycle setup for a DR650 that matches my airbox, filter and exhaust. Adjusting the pilot screw to the bottom of the range had me worrying again that I had put something together wrong and it wasn't the new carb. So, I put the stock carb and tank back on and fired it up. It ran nice and smooth, low idle and no backfiring, YAY! Continuing with the TM40 idle circuit tuning, I put the #20 pilot jet in and set the pilot screw a 2 turns out. That's where I'm at now, hopefully make some progress this weekend.

TM40 top.

TM40 top off.
  1. Needle clip in 3rd position from the top.

TM40 bottom.

TM40 bottom off.
  1. Main jet 150.
  2. Pilot jet 22.5.
  3. Pilot screw 1/4 turn out.

Range of pilot and main jets included in ProCycle kit.

DisTech screwed with this post 02-07-2009 at 11:43 AM
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #157
muddriller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Dirty ??, that`s rougher than a badgers arsehole man

Solder it & slip some heat shrink over it, come on dont slip now your doing such a fantastic job, looks the dogs gonads with that tank on now

Mezo.
Could be worse. Didnt have any scotch tite connectors around to use?
muddriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #158
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Even more TM40

A bit of a frustrating day trying to tune the idle circuit. I adjusted the pilot screw half turn at a time down to the minimum 1/4 turn thru 22.5, 20 and 17.5 pilot jets. The light bulb finally came on for me when I realized that the pilot screw wasn't changing anything. My idle circuit was not working. I took the bottom end of the TM40 all apart and blasted carb cleaner through all of the jets and passageways (especially the idle circuit) and reassembled back to ProCycle defaults with the 22.5 pilot jet and the pilot screw at 3 turns out. For the record, I never ran the TM40 without a fuel filter and the inside of it was spotless clean. I didn't find any blockage or particles, but when I fired the bike up it ran nice and smooth, no backfiring. Also 3 turns out for the pilot screw appears to be the sweet spot. So the default settings from ProCycle are on the money. The clues that lead me to think it was running rich in the beginning are confusing. Maybe the sooted plugs were from running with the choke on, I don't know. With the idle circuit operating as it should I can proceed with the rest of the carb tuning!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #159
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

More more TM40

The TM40 is set with the ProCycle defaults except for the needle clip. I moved it to the second position from the top (supposed to be better MPG).

Buttoning up the wiring for the back end and tightened and recabled the TM40.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #160
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

License plate holder

I took the inner fender off so I need a holder and light for the license plate. This is a bolt on solution from from Kientech.

Wired so I can go back to stock without cutting any wires.

Didn't really want an additional brake light but it serves as the plate light too.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #161
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Chain

The Motion Pro Chain Breaker and Riveting Tool is a fascinating tool or I should say set of tools. It is also reasonably priced and can be found for less than $75. The master link on the other hand is not reasonably priced, $10 for one!

I ground the rivet heads off and used the tool to push the link pins out. The tool is in breaker mode.

I greased up the o-rings and put the new master link on. The tool is in plate press mode.

The plates have been mashed on to the same thickness as the other links.

Flared the ends of the master link pins. Tool in rivet flaring mode.

DisTech screwed with this post 02-08-2009 at 11:35 PM
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #162
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Corbin

I asked Corbin to build up the front to reduce the usual dip. They did and in profile the shape is pretty much what I wanted, but from any other view it's a box. It is not comfortable to sit on a foam box with square corners.

Going to give them a call and see how we can work this out.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #163
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
I grow hot-n-cold on doing anything seat-wise. Especially dropping $300+ on the Corbin or the Renazco. Observations like yours are priceless...I've often wondered about those "sharp" edges on the Corbin seat.
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #164
fuzzydude2
CMA'er

Oddometer: 212
looking good

getting close to time.

06' Triumph Sprint / 00' Goldwing
01' Moto Guzzi California Special
98' KTM 620 RXC / 05' KTM 525 EXC
fuzzydude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #165
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
Observations like yours are priceless...I've often wondered about those "sharp" edges on the Corbin seat.
It's quite easy to un-sharpen them...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote