Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #61
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753
What a great project! Thanks for the postings. I just got my 2003 DR650 and am doing some work to it. While I live in Austin TX, most of my family is in Seattle....and suffering under the winter snows too. I guess the upside is plenty of garage time for you!
Thanks, the extra garage time has been good.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #62
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

FMF Hi-Flo stainless headpipe & Two Brothers M7 midtube

Two Brothers midtube is 1.75" thinwall stainless steel tubing that reduces down to the stock exhaust diameter. FMF headpipe is 1.625" thinwall (though a bit heavier than the Two Brothers) stainless steel tubing.

I emailed Jeff at ProCycle and asked if he had any suggestions on how to connect the two. He was on vacation but emailed me right back and gave me the number to Two Brothers and said he would look into it when he got back. I called Two Brothers and asked if they had an alternate midtube for connecting to oversize headpipes or adapters or something. They said no, just go to a muffler shop and have them swedge the end out to fit, it should only take 30 seconds! Ok! Off to a local muffler shop. The guy at the muffler shop warned me that it would probably split, and it did.
  • the muffler shop guy was ready to cut the split off and weld up a proper size connection but they only had aluminized steel. I decided to look for a shop that could do it in stainless.
  • After talking to several muffler shops that said pretty much the same thing, the stainless systems that they work with are kits that they don't modify, they just assemble.
  • Next I tried a couple metal fabricators that do weld and form stainless parts. The problem they had was the connection to the FMF headpipe has to be a tight fit and they could not find a thinwall stainless tube the right diameter. They also didn't think they could form their own piece that small that would be round enough for a good fit.
  • The last metal fab guy suggested going to a machine shop and having them mill a thick wall stainless pipe to fit. That's where I'm at, looking for a machine shop.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #63
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Two Brothers M7 muffler & P4 Powertip

I chose the M7 over the FMF Q4 because I like the look better and with the P4 it's supposed to be quieter. Note the nice fit of the magnesium tip.

The instructions for installing the P4 show three configuration.
  1. P4 & spark arrester
  2. spacer & spark arrester
  3. P4 & spacer

There is no spacer!

So when you install the P4 and the spark arrester there is a gap.

In the same conversation with Two Brothers about the midtube this is what they had to say about the P4:
90% of the mufflers that the P4 gets installed into create a gap between the muffler and the magnesium tip. The gap is around the outside only, there is no exhaust leak. That's just the way it is.

DisTech screwed with this post 01-07-2009 at 03:46 PM Reason: magnesium
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #64
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Swingarm

The swingarm cleaned up nice!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #65
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
[*]The last metal fab guy suggested going to a machine shop and having them mill a thick wall stainless pipe to fit. That's where I'm at, looking for a machine shop.[/LIST]

Wow, Wow, Wow. I always wondered if the FMF header would fit my TBR midpipe. But I didn't want to spend the bones to find out myself. Good luck with this--I hope you get it sorted.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #66
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
I have the same issue with my Hindle mid pipe. The stock gasket will fill the gap but it's definitely not ideal. Let us know what you come up with.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 AM   #67
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Hi...if you still have this swingarm out, could you maybe measure its width on the pivot, I am wondering if it can fit my DR800.

Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
The swingarm cleaned up nice!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #68
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
Hi...if you still have this swingarm out, could you maybe measure its width on the pivot, I am wondering if it can fit my DR800.

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like 9.0625" outside of pivot cover to outside of pivot cover. Let me know if I'm not measuring what you needed.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #69
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
DisTech, many thanks for your time. I think you are measuring right, its the bit that goes from the inside of the frame i am looking for. It seems that it is about 10mm wider than the DR800. Bad luck I guess, as if it was slightly shorter, some spacers would do the trick.
All the best with your project!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #70
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #71
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Damit!!!
I put the DR on the lift at the end of the season to get it ready for fix'n the leaky gaskets,and do'n the valves adjustments,NSU,new gas tank,and the choke converion.
Now you go and post this thread!!So i gotta quit talk'n about and go do it,thanks!

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #72
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
It seems that it is about 10mm wider than the DR800.
I guess I'm surprised by this. No particular insight, just figured your frame and swingarm would have wider measurements.

This looks like fun. Excellent build.
RearView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #73
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,030
I love these types of builds, I envy the gumption and the actual end-results.

Now, GET BACK TO WORK AND POST SOME MORE!!!!!!

MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT!!!!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #74
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
DisTech

See Larry, at Seattle Welding in South Park, regarding the exhaust system. He has done some great things for me in the last 40 years. Tell him Paul said to see him.

Good Luck... Hope he can help
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #75
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
DisTech, many thanks for your time. I think you are measuring right, its the bit that goes from the inside of the frame i am looking for. It seems that it is about 10mm wider than the DR800. Bad luck I guess, as if it was slightly shorter, some spacers would do the trick.
All the best with your project!
The 650 is wider than the 800, that is surprising. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Damit!!! I put the DR on the lift at the end of the season to get it ready for fix'n the leaky gaskets,and do'n the valves adjustments,NSU,new gas tank,and the choke converion. Now you go and post this thread!!So i gotta quit talk'n about and go do it,thanks!
You are welcome! And I'm looking forward to your writeup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearView
Quote: Originally Posted by mousitsas
It seems that it is about 10mm wider than the DR800.
I guess I'm surprised by this. No particular insight, just figured your frame and swingarm would have wider measurements.
This looks like fun. Excellent build.
Agreed. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
I love these types of builds, I envy the gumption and the actual end-results.
Now, GET BACK TO WORK AND POST SOME MORE!!!!!!
MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT!!!!
THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
See Larry, at Seattle Welding in South Park, regarding the exhaust system. He has done some great things for me in the last 40 years. Tell him Paul said to see him.
Good Luck... Hope he can help
Doh! I called five machine shops in Ballard and not one of them answered the phone. I finally got hold of someone at Wilson Machine Works on Elliott Ave W and just dropped the pipes off there today before I saw your post! If they don't work out I'll give Larry a call. Thanks Paul.