Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #181
themobb
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
I wear bike shorts as well and it helps.

I suppose different people just have different pain tolerances? Myself, I have have the opposite of an iron butt. I call it marshmallow butt. May be due to some cancer nastiness and subsequent surgery, but it is what it is.

My hats off to the 1k/day guys!

Anyway, the stock seat does not sit well on (under) me, so I'm planning a little jaunt over to Daytona to check out the Corbins...

Stay safe,

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #182
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
While I have not tried this yet... I ran into some real characters from Minnesota North of the Brayburn lodge that had some interesting long distance touring advice... they recommend getting some of those cheap thin long underwear (the poly stuff) and putting that under the bike shorts. The guy said cut the legs off if you feel like it but that layer being under the bike shorts gets rid of all chaffing and hotspots.

Since it is a really cheap idea I am going to give it a shot... I may even have an old worn out pair of poly style long underwear to test with. Perhaps on my day ride to Seattle for a work conference the first week of August (not on the interstate mind you) I will test it and report back. Should be near 750 or so miles...
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #183
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Push_Bars:

If you are going to be in the Seattle area and have the time check out Rich's seats in Kingston, WA. He has helped out several sore F8 butts.

http://www.richscustomseats.com/
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #184
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I talked with him (or at least guys from his shop) at length in Redmond. I still feel that XPC or Rencazo would be the way to go for me if I was to do it... but maybe next year.... or the year after... or perhaps the next seat I get will be on a K1300GT (I rode one at the rally and fell in love. My F8 could swing fully towards the dirt touring side if I had one of those in the garage to keep it company)
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #185
Ide508
Easy Does It...

Oddometer: 42
Hi there,
Mine came with the standard seat which I've used for a year. After a bad "stationary" off and 3 months of recuperation I decided to test the low seat.

To my surprise that seat was comfortable and much more roomy for my butt (which is not big) than the standard one! I can drive on it easily for 2 or 3 hours, after that period, it's good to stop ;)

I could have my foots flat at stop on both seats but I feel more "stable" on the low one. I'm 1.83m tall or 5.10" I guess.

For longer trip, I found the solution...
Long live Airhawk
Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #186
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Anyone need a Touratech Low seat?, can't tell from new.

PM me.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #187
radtrinidad
girlz rule!

Oddometer: 41
Aw man. Just bought a low one from TT. /sad. Have to say I love it though! The whole ride feels so much different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44
Anyone need a Touratech Low seat?, can't tell from new.

PM me.

'08 DL650 Wee (yellow and black)
'04 Kawasaki Ninja (yellow and black)
radtrinidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #188
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by radtrinidad
Aw man. Just bought a low one from TT. /sad. Have to say I love it though! The whole ride feels so much different.

Know what you mean, I have the standard TT seat on my 650. This one belonged to my friend who had a matching bike. Unfortunately, he died of a heart attack in April and I'm selling all his stuff for his wife.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #189
sfbmw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
pm sent
sfbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #190
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,824
I read this thread first, then last week test rode an F800Gs at a dealer.
(I figured I should at least ride one before selling something to pay for it).
Once I returned from the test ride I was talking about seats and the parts guy brought out a BMW comfort seat. We put it on a bike sitting in the showroom. It felt wonderful to me. It also looks like my Wife would appreciate the comfort seat over the stock seat. Sure it might prevent you from sliding back (if your sitting down) but I don't plan to hard core dirt ride the 800. I hope to be able (afford) to keep my XR650 for when we go dirt riding.
When I buy an 800 I plan to get the comfort seat with it.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #191
RamblerTim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I am interested in purchasing a Corbin seat for my F800GS. Does anyone have one they want to get rid of?
RamblerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #192
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
If it matters, the Renazco is pretty much magic. I've never had a seat where I didn't think about the seat until I got my Renazco--that includes a Sargent on my 800 and a Corbin on my old KLR, plus the same brands on various other bikes that my buddies have owned.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #193
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
XPC racing seat is here!

Yesterday the UPS truck left a package from XPC racing, and I excitedly tore it open to find my seat had been transformed into a thing of beauty. I chose the suede/ carbon fiber vinyl combo with about a half inch of additional hieght. It fits perfectly, looks super nice, and felt great sitting on the center stand in the garage. Today my girlfriend and I took it out for a test ride on the hottest day we've had so far (in-dash thermometer indicated 101.4F) and we were very pleased. We just ran a bunch of errands so total seated time was only an hour or so but I wanted to start breaking it in ASAP. One thing worth noting is that after the bike sat out in a parking lot for 30 minutes we were actually able to sit comfortably on the suede...where we had previously burned our asses on the original vinyl! We agreed that the seat felt noticeably higher and more firm. Neither of which was a problem because I can handle the extra hieght and we didn't mind the firmness as the foam is a lot more comfortable. Granted we have to break this thing in before we can really get an opinion, but so far so good! Oh, one more thing I should mention; I had XPC extend their foam all the way back to the passenger area which was apparently not standard. I'll take photos tomorrow, but for now I guess this is a big +1 for XPC.
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #194
motoregon
Commuter

Oddometer: 26
Wicked

thanks for the pic. The worst thing about the F800GS (and all new bikes) is the seat. My butt was numb by mile 40 on the stock seat...

www.motoregon.net
www.facebook.com/MOTOREGON
www.twitter.com/MOTOREGON
motoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #195
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
XPC Racing

+1 on Fireman's comments.

I posted this in the Vendors forum yesterday, but it probably belongs here.

I finally got around to replacing the stock seat on my little GS. I asked XPC to build it as flat as possible without increasing the height at the low point (they could shave the rear since I don't usually take a passenger). I also asked them to make it wider and to extend the width as far forward as they could.

They did a great job: no more sliding forward like the OEM seat, and much more supportive and comfortable.

coupla pics in the driveway

couple in the dez

levity is offline   Reply With Quote