Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #16
M N B OP
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
So...getting it without the stitching is not an option?
Some amount of stitching is required to make the cover. There is a fair amount of extraneous stitching on my seat that's more for looks. I have a seat with minimal stitching for my K1100 and I think it looks kinda weak personally.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #17
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
I dunno, I think it looks more like a sport tourer seat than a cruiser. The stitching's a bit cruiserish, but I didn't want plain leather and that design was what was on the website, so I went for it. They'd have stitched up anything I wanted. I could have alternated magnesium and anthracite colors if I wanted...
I am having Corbin put the Carbon Fiber vinyl on top with smooth sides. Water proof and should look good too. (I hope)
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #18
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
So...getting it without the stitching is not an option?
Yes it is, but they don't recommend it. Apparently they have had some seats form a (bubble) where the cover comes un-glued to the foam under it so they like to see some stitching on the seat. You can get it without however your choice.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
AngryRed
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Frankly, I have had no issues with the OEM seat at all, but I do realize that seats are a very personal thing.
I rode to San Diego from Vegas Friday and then back again Saturday. 810 miles total in 2 days and I learned one thing, my seat has to go.

I had a Corbin on my KLR and it was ok, I'm looking at the Touratech one closely as well.

2013 Super Tenere

AngryRed screwed with this post 12-16-2008 at 10:15 AM
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #20
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspear
Yes it is, but they don't recommend it. Apparently they have had some seats form a (bubble) where the cover comes un-glued to the foam under it so they like to see some stitching on the seat. You can get it without however your choice.
Although Corbin states we can make it just as you like they highly recommend you order what you see pictured. I kept asking for Corbin seat that I had on my F650gs DAKAR "dual canyon" model. He advised...

"Because of the original factory sizing we find this (pictured on the web site) works better and since the seams are on the under side it will be more comfortable." I gave in a ordered the cruiser stitching. It may not look right but I will have a comfy ass!

I went with "carbon fiber" looking leather seating and the "carbon fiber" vinyl sides. Leather for the seat and vinyl sides also recommended.

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 12-17-2008 at 08:26 AM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #21
M N B OP
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
"Because of the original factory sizing we find this (pictured on the web site) works better and since the seams are on the under side it will be more comfortable." I gave in a ordered the cruiser stitching. It may not look right but I will have a comfy ass!

I went with "carbon fiber" looking leather seating and the "carbon fiber" vinyl sides. Leather for the seat and vinyl sides also recommended.
I don't know if they cut the leather into strips and stitch it or not, but it would allow for fitting the cover to the seat for more complex shapes.

I've found they pretty much know what they're talking about when it comes to seat making and it's best to roll with their advice. That said, you can get them to customize the seat quite a bit, but from remote that's probably not advisable. If you could go in, they can do things like lengthen the rider part of the seat (at the expense of passenger length of course).
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 12-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #22
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
I live close enough to Corbin to ride to their site. My experience with them is that they will make you a "semi custom "seat. They have stock patterns for the cover of each seat and they will shave a little on the cushion to accomodate you as long as it doesn't mess with the cover that they use.
I had my vinyl covered seat reconditioned and replaced with leather. The leather is pretty thin and is not going to wear well. The vinyl wears better.
Not bad for the price, but not necessarily a top quality seat.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #23
M N B OP
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I live close enough to Corbin to ride to their site. My experience with them is that they will make you a "semi custom "seat. They have stock patterns for the cover of each seat and they will shave a little on the cushion to accomodate you as long as it doesn't mess with the cover that they use.
I had my vinyl covered seat reconditioned and replaced with leather. The leather is pretty thin and is not going to wear well. The vinyl wears better.
Not bad for the price, but not necessarily a top quality seat.
The leather on my seat is quite robust as well as on my other two Corbins. The customization you can have ranges from minor and major custom shaping, lowering, moving rider position forward or backwards, fitting a non-standard bike (they custom formed a base pan for an R100GS with an R80 gas tank while I was there), a variety of cover materials and covers, the ability to mix multiple materials for multi color or inlaid effects, custom stitching. They couldn't do custom embroidery for me, that was about it.

I'm not sure why your experience was so different, but with all my seats, they are very much a top quality seat.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #24
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
I am glad your experience was better than mine. I have had only 2. The original seat was the standard Gunfighter seat for the TDM with a vinyl cover.
10 years later I brought it back to be refurbished. Arrived at my appointment time only to find they had no record. They finished up a bike they were working on and then went to lunch. 2 hours after the appointed time, the worker arrived back and I told him what I wanted done to the seat. No problemo. He even gave me the choice of leather or vinyl for the same price. That should have been a clue. He then got the material and the pattern and gave it to the seamstress, My problem was I did not inspect the leather before hand, because it was probably the econo grade. He added material to my existing cushion and began shaping it. I stood there and watched and made some suggestions as to how I wanted it. He then told me that there were limitations to what he could do because of the pattern for the cover.
The leather on mine is wearing along the seam above the back of the cutout on top of the seat and will not last as long the vinyl.
The recover did not cost me much and maybe part of the problem was the rush for time, but that was their error not mine. Not impressed.

itsatdm screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 10:36 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #25
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
"pan exchange"

For the vendors that rebuild on the standard seat pan, does anybody know if any of them have enough stock to send a new seat out, and then have us send our old pan back AFTER we have something better to sit on?

And... sorry to ask, but I know some of the custom seat mfg. do not use the stock pan which would allow a swap back to factory if desired. Has anybody compiled a list of this class of custom seat?

Thanks!

I've been dinking around with various make-do stuff, but have concluded that spending $300 - $500 on a better seat is what I what I should be doing... now if I could just decide WHO to spend it with....

Thanks,
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #26
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,645
The reason I hesitate to buy an aftermarket seat is they all tend to look like cruiser seats.
I really like the look of the stock seat, not so much the feel on my tailbone after a couple hundred miles.
The touratech seat looks great, but for the price, I would really want to feel a difference.
I would love to hear from someone who has one, and who rode with the stocker before, so they can compare.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #27
thelouv
ocd

Oddometer: 105
Ditto on the Touratech seat swap.
Triumph Rocket III (sold)
F800GS (got mine)
Next? Duc 1098 ADV? nope,
went back to a Jeep, and still lovin the GS
thelouv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #28
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
The reason I hesitate to buy an aftermarket seat is they all tend to look like cruiser seats.
I really like the look of the stock seat, not so much the feel on my tailbone after a couple hundred miles.
The touratech seat looks great, but for the price, I would really want to feel a difference.
I would love to hear from someone who has one, and who rode with the stocker before, so they can compare.
+1 Has anyone got a Touratech seat installed? Let us hear from you please.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #29
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden

I've been dinking around with various make-do stuff, but have concluded that spending $300 - $500 on a better seat is what I what I should be doing... now if I could just decide WHO to spend it with....

Thanks,
Jim
I'm going to wait to see what Sargent comes up with. I've had a couple of their seats and been quite happy. Their web site says they'll have something for us in the spring.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #30
Ballbearing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspear
+1 Has anyone got a Touratech seat installed? Let us hear from you please.
+2