Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #31
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
I'm going to wait to see what Sargent comes up with. I've had a couple of their seats and been quite happy. Their web site says they'll have something for us in the spring.
Bucko,

Get on sargent's list and if you buy when the seat comes out you get a discount. I signed up last friday. Go back on their site and follow directions.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #32
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
While Corbin has a good reputation for quality and comfort, I have a hard time adjusting to the "look". Bikes with a Corbin seat always seem to look like a cruiser. The F8 is a dirt bike, and the style of the OEM seat reflects that image. Frankly, I have had no issues with the OEM seat at all, but I do realize that seats are a very personal thing.
Gotta agree. One of the best seats I have come across. I have an airhawk I use on the BCR, and I have an extra set of straps to check it out on the 800. have done a few short rides(200km) with no ill effects to the posterior as yet!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #33
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Laugh Love this thing

Just got my Alaska Leather but pad in and I really like this thing! Very well made and super comfortable. May even make the stock seat bearable

10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #34
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,833
Give us a report on th Alaskan Leather

I have been looking at the Alaskan Leather sheepskin, but the deluxe full seat for the f80gs is $100. If it doesn't make a very significant difference I think I would rather put that 100 towards a 400 corbin. The stock seat isn't what i would call terrible, but TN to PA in one day.. lets just say I wish it had been a bit more comfortable.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #35
M N B OP
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
So I've got about 600 miles on the seat now. It's quite comfortable, but I'll be going back in for some rework.

1) I can feel the edge of the basepan on the inside of my leg. Especially on the right side. I noticed it when it was being built, but as I had overpants on, I thought he'd trimmed enough off. Riding with jeans has illustrated that he hadn't.

2) I'm going to cut down the butt scoop. 1/3 to 1/2 as well as lower the pillion spot a bit. This will allow me to shift my weight back while sitting. I can do it easily when standing, but I think once in a while it might be handy to do it sitting down. That would be awkward in the current configuration.

The changes will make it look more similar to the stock low height seat, although it'll still be scooped a bit.

I'm not in a big rush to have the changes made, but sometime in the next several months I'll schedule a Saturday morning with them.

I'd probably be fine with the seat as is, but since they allow one free rework, I'm going to take advantage of that and tweak it some.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #36
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Yes I got my Corbin exactly 6 weeks after the order and I sold it 90 minutes after I got it here on Adventure rider. I found it was too wide when putting my legs on the ground. My last 2 corbins were the same but this one was even wider and very aggravating IMO after a few minutes. I decided to keep my carved seat...it has a nice dish without the width. If I was going to do more road riding I would have kept it but I don't. The guy I sold it to loved it.

The dish with a sheep skin I am set!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #37
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,212
Ok, this might help someone in the future. When I got my first corbin on an 1100 RT it was so wide that I could hardly touch the ground. Called corbin and they suggested a "nose" job on the seat. They took it and narrowed the front. After the nose job, I was flat footed. If your going to get a corbin for any bike, ask about the nose job.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #38
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
Yes I got my Corbin exactly 6 weeks after the order and I sold it 90 minutes after I got it here on Adventure rider. I found it was too wide when putting my legs on the ground. My last 2 corbins were the same but this one was even wider and very aggravating IMO after a few minutes. I decided to keep my carved seat...it has a nice dish without the width. If I was going to do more road riding I would have kept it but I don't. The guy I sold it to loved it.

The dish with a sheep skin I am set!

I carved on mine also, though not as deep as yours. Even a 3/4 in. removal of foam took out the crown and made the seat much more comfortable.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #39
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspear
Just got my Alaska Leather but pad in and I really like this thing! Very well made and super comfortable. May even make the stock seat bearable
Is there any "substructure" of foam or whatever under the fur?
Or is it kind of like a faux animal "pelt"

Thanks,
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #40
Chumley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I can tell you that after having 7 Corbins and 1 Bill Mayer seat made you need to ride in and get it custom fitted.

I have done some incredible things with Corbin and had some very custom seats made. I don't believe that the stitching is needed and the leather will stay glued to the seat foam just fine if it is all smooth, somebody was just wrong. There are different leather thicknesses and you have to get the right feedback to know what to pick - you shouldn't have to but that's the way it works.

I have to admit that a typical Corbin take 2 tries to get it right and the last one took 3 covers but it is right and it looks and feels great.

They are truly custom so pretty much anything is possible if you know what you want and have the resolve to push for what you want. I would never buy from anyone without being there in person. I keep hearing that Sargeant can do it but I haven't seen anyone else get it right via pictures or written description. That has got to be a crap shoot at best. My mail order Bill Mayer was way off.

Good luck, BMW went with a real dual sport type of design for the seat so the same issues that have haunted the real hard core dual sport guys are here for BMW now.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #41
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Is there any "substructure" of foam or whatever under the fur?
Or is it kind of like a faux animal "pelt"

Thanks,
Jim
Jim,
It looks like real leather under the pelt. No padding at all but gives quite a bit of comfort. I was surprised at how much it helped. Like it a lot and would recommend it to anyone looking for seat comfort without adding a lot of height to the seat.

Mike
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #42
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley
I have to admit that a typical Corbin take 2 tries to get it right and the last one took 3 covers but it is right and it looks and feels great.
I agree. I've got three Corbins on bikes now, two of them needed that extra carving and padding.

Alaska Leather's sheepskin does work surprising well, as do Airhawk and the like air cushions although they do add a little to the height, but if setup right very little. Both types have been my choice on the 1150 and now the F800 while keeping the OEM seat on both. Save your money for more important things like crashbars....
Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #43
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Any word on Renazco doing one for our F8's?

Just fired off an email to him. More to follow.

Firefight911 screwed with this post 01-12-2009 at 12:03 PM
Firefight911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #44
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
I want to second everyone else's call...
If anyone has pulled the trigger on the Touratech Standard or Breathable or the Wunderlich seat (if they're offering it yet? I saw it on one of their farkled bikes) please give us the scoop.

OR everyone who wants the scoop on the TT can each send me 50 dollars and we can pool our money together and I will purchase one and let you all know how it goes
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #45
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
I'm in process with James at Renazco for a seat. Unfortunately, he is pretty busy so I may be in the queue a bit. I'll let ya know when I have it for photos and a review.