Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #61
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eye Mike
+1. I still have the sheepskin cover from Barb that was on my 1150, before that it was on my KLR, it now resides on my 800. It DEFINITLEY helps stave off the dreaded monkey butt, and comes off in 3 seconds if it starts to rain.
And Barb ( http://www.alaskaleather.com/http:// ) already has a pattern for the 800gs seat.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #62
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han
hi there,
so this is your "Bill Mayer" seat on your f800gs? looks good..
or this is picture from their website?
This is their website photo.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #63
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Cee Bailey also makes a seat

Cee Bailey makes a very nice saddle for the F650/800GS

http://photos-by-dave-mishalof.smugm...019_9jHNe-A-LB
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #64
Cornbread82
Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer: 377

I got the low seat for the wife and she loves it. The longest ride that she has been on with this seat is 250 miles but had no problems with it and tells me that she could go another 250 easy!
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #65
AngryRed
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread82
I got the low seat for the wife and she loves it. The longest ride that she has been on with this seat is 250 miles but had no problems with it and tells me that she could go another 250 easy!
That's really the seat I want but I'm just choking on the price. I sat on one at the Long Beach IMS and it really felt comfortable. No way to tell though unless I ride it 500 miles in a day.

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #66
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
First ride on my Corbin was 300 miles with one stop. It's like sitting on a Lazy-boy recliner. It's all-day comfort!!

It's wide at the front, and I could see it being a problem for shorter riders on the F800.

The low point is too far back for me. I prefer to sit closer to the tank. $10 cushion from Wal-mart auto dept. keeps me from sliding too far back.

Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #67
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Spencers, continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47
Read his website and thought it would be worth trying. So I emailed him - three times - no response except the third time his ISP said there was a problem.
Turns out that my email problem with Spencers was a problem of AOL vs. Earthlink. I sent him an email from work (non-Earthlink) and got a response right away. So I shipped off my seat and also the OEM seat from my KLR.
Should have a report in two weeks provided the weather is good enough for riding. (It's four days each way by UPS to Florida.)
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #68
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47
Turns out that my email problem with Spencers was a problem of AOL vs. Earthlink. I sent him an email from work (non-Earthlink) and got a response right away. So I shipped off my seat and also the OEM seat from my KLR.
Should have a report in two weeks provided the weather is good enough for riding. (It's four days each way by UPS to Florida.)
I checked out his website. How does the process work? I see it says to send pictures along with your seat.... I ASSume you send him pictures of your "ass"ets with the seat? I'm pretty interested, especially with the price being so low so if I don't do it before you get yours I'd love to hear how it works out.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #69
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
The dish with a sheep skin I am set!
Thank's for the inspiration HighTechCoonass and giving me the guts to put the knife in my seat! I added a gel pad so I thought I might as well share my little project with you guys.

This is what I did:

I found it easiest to remove the staples with a knife. Then I put som marks on the foam so I know where to cut

Then some proper tools. It works great to cut the foam with the bread knife greased with some vegetable oil.

2 minutes later...

Then I made it a bit smoother.

Hmm... Maybe we should think about the passenger also. And recycling can't be wrong these days. The peace I cut out fits just fine behind the drivers position.

Then it's time for the gel. It's quite common to use gel products when horse riding, so I went down to a store that carries stuff for that and bought this one. It's the size of a horse saddle, 7mm thick and costs about 50$.

Maybe something like this would be nice...

So I cut the gel to fit the seat

Added a 4mm thin layer of foam on it to smoothen the edges a bit

And Volia! After 30 minutes with the stapling machine I got this result

Now I just need to wait for that snow to melt down.... The seat really feels much better like this and hopefully I won't have my dear wife sliding forwards all the time when we are riding 2 up.

I think the most important thing is to get the seat a bit wider. But the gel pad feels really nice too.

lawe screwed with this post 02-28-2009 at 08:42 AM
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #70
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
I checked out his website. How does the process work? I see it says to send pictures along with your seat.... I ASSume you send him pictures of your "ass"ets with the seat? I'm pretty interested, especially with the price being so low so if I don't do it before you get yours I'd love to hear how it works out.

I had Spencer do my F650 single seat a few years ago. Worth the $75 +shipping IMO. (I'm in S FLA so shipping wasn't much for me.)

Here's a link to a short thread about it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=spencers+seat

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #71
M N B OP
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,105
After about 2000 miles I went in to Corbin today and had some rework done. I was quite happy with the seat but I thought it might be nice to subdue the hump so that shifting weight to the rear while staying on the seat would be easier. It resulted in a massively different appearance...

It looks like it was run over by a steam roller mainly because I had them make it a low seat so that my 30" inseam can back out of my driveway without dumping the bike.

It's not quite as comfortable as the old seat, but I think it'll do fine in more situations and it's still vastly superior to the stock seat.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #72
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Stock Seat For Sale

If anyone's in need of a stock "high" seat, I have one for sale in the flea market.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440744

Rob in Seattle
Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #73
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Alright - this rocks - thanks to everyone for contributing. :)

I recently threw a leg over an 800gs as I'm considering buying one in a couple months.

My main concern was the pain I felt on the inside of my thighs after bein gon a bike in the showroom!

Sitting (on the center stand) was no biggie), but when feet-down (like at a stop light), the seat cushion dug inot my thighs - it was painful for about 20 minutes after I got off the bike...LOL

So, has anyone else noticed this? I'm running a 30" inseam here, so not really expecting to flat-foot on this bike, BUT, I'm also unwilling to spend $11k without a remedy for this issue. ;) The 800 will be my primary mode of transport in Sunny Seattle in a couple months, so furry sheep derrier's won't cut it for me... ;)

The DL1000 is much more comfortable in this regard, though it's not an 800GS now, is it?
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #74
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Have you tried sitting on a f8 with the low seat? I havn't, but i think the low seat has a better shape than the standard seat. I've sort of created a lower seat by cutting in mine to get a wider dish to sit on.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #75
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe
Have you tried sitting on a f8 with the low seat? I havn't, but i think the low seat has a better shape than the standard seat. I've sort of created a lower seat by cutting in mine to get a wider dish to sit on.
I did, in fact - marginally better, but the "lump" behind my "rump" pushed me forward. Not sure what that'd be like to live with while riding, but felt odd sitting in the showroom. :(
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote