Old 11-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #121
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Interesting. Any pricing info yet?
You've got everything I've got so far.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #122
Claudellvonhop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb Rich's

Well used/loved Rich's custom (Kingston, WA). It was pricey (same range as TouraTech), but after 4K miles it's been worth every penny.

Nice, wide seating platform that doesn't get in the way when standing on pegs.

I was initally a little concerned about fuel cap access, but zero issues...

Claudellvonhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #123
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Sofa

That seat looks comfy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudellvonhop
Well used/loved Rich's custom (Kingston, WA). It was pricey (same range as TouraTech), but after 4K miles it's been worth every penny.

I was initally a little concerned about fuel cap access, but zero issues...

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #124
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:

Kinda reminds me of...

Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #125
Claudellvonhop
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether
Kinda reminds me of...

You've got an eye for comfort... This dog would make an awesome seat
Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #126
DUC54
Giddy Up!!!

Oddometer: 95

[/quote] What about standing on the ground?? I have a 29" inseam and is this seat wider than the low seat??? thus making it harder to get a foot down. Thanx in advance!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #127
Claudellvonhop
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUC54
What about standing on the ground?? I have a 29" inseam and is this seat wider than the low seat??? thus making it harder to get a foot down. Thanx in advance!
That's the thing - Rich designs/customizes your seat to you. You actually spend the better part of a day at his place in Kingston and Rich will run you through several fittings/test rides until it's perfect for you. He says he's customized a ton of 8GS seats and is thankful BMW put such aweful stock seats on these bikes...

People make cross country trips to get a Rich's seat. When I was there, a couple from New Jersey rolled in and had arranged to stay in his on-site guest house. It's quite the operation.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #128
skodadog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
TT Breathable Standard - Part Number: 055-2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordnow
I have the Touratech touring low seat and love it. I am almost 5'11 and not only can I reach the ground better, but the seat is very comfortable for long rides. The tailbone pain I was getting with original seat has vanished. Yes, it is an expensive seat, but well worth it from my experience.
1+ that; this seat (TT breathable standard) is more firm than the stock, but to me firm = comfort. I have a F650GS low suspension and use this standard height seat and it's very comfortable; I'm 5'4" with 30" inseam. I can pretty much flat foot the bike. I have a Rich's custom on my F800ST and I also really love that seat. I think with a sport bike I can tolerate the look of a 'shaped' seat because the shape can contribute to the control you have in riding the bike.

I should also add that I am a bicycle enthusiast and the seat on my bike would make most who don't know cycling wonder how one could be comfortable on a thin board....but really it's just the opposite. The softer, more gel, more cush on a bicycle seat the more your sit bones will ache because they are not supported.
former
'01 Super Sherpa
'05 Ducati M650
'05 Aprilia Scarabeo 50
'00 Ducati M900
'97 Ducati M900
'81 Vespa 200
skodadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #129
skodadog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
That's the thing - Rich designs/customizes your seat to you. You actually spend the better part of a day at his place in Kingston and Rich will run you through several fittings/test rides until it's perfect for you. He says he's customized a ton of 8GS seats and is thankful BMW put such aweful stock seats on these bikes...
2+ on Rich - if you want a custom seat and live anywhere around the PacNW, it's worth the trip. He's also great about re-doing the seat to get it right. It's absolutely critical that you take multiple test rides and really think about how it feels and give him that feedback.

I didn't opt for a Rich's seat on my F650GS b/c I like the look of the TT and it really feels great for how I anticipate using the bike.
former
'01 Super Sherpa
'05 Ducati M650
'05 Aprilia Scarabeo 50
'00 Ducati M900
'97 Ducati M900
'81 Vespa 200
skodadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #130
glchicoca
Banned

Oddometer: 131
Corbin

The corbin heated seat has my attention.
glchicoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #131
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Corbin - for me?

I've had corbins on all my bikes and loved them. Never had a bike like the F800GS though so I am not sure how they are going to translate. I know the corbins for some models are sh!t. I like the firmness of the corbins, provide great support all day long. I pulled these next pics from this forum I think? saved them as 'DavidCorbinSeat'. If I order the corbin, it will look like this:

The other contender is the TourTech High.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #132
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,978
touratech seat

today was my first real test of my touratech standard seat. rode 290 miles (or slightly less than 500km) with 7 hours of saddle time. this was a big improvement over the stock seat and leads me to believe that this was the right choice (for me). it does feel slightly higher and wider than OEM but that is no problem. I am very happy with the prospects of touring on this seat.

but don't ask me about the stock windscreen
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #133
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by skodadog
2+ on Rich - if you want a custom seat and live anywhere around the PacNW, it's worth the trip. He's also great about re-doing the seat to get it right. It's absolutely critical that you take multiple test rides and really think about how it feels and give him that feedback.
Some people swear by Rich's seats. I wouldn't go to him for a dual sport/adventure bike seat again. I did the test rides and all--spent most of a day there. He made a seat for my R80G/S PD that was comfortable enough--and WAY better than the stock PD seat--but did not work well off-road. The seat was too wide up front. I came back and told him I wanted some width shaved off the front. He more or less said he knew more about seats than I did and I should be happy with the seat as it was. I wasn't experienced or confident enough at the time to push it, so I didn't.

OTOH, James Renazco absolutely knows dual sports. A few years later he made a seat that was perfect for me for the Xchallenge I had. One of these days I'll get a seat from him for my F800GS.

Meanwhile, the BMW Rally Seat is MUCH better than stock for me...

Rob in Seattle
Old 01-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #134
drofwaves
MT

Oddometer: 88
Rich's Custom

Just had Rich make a seat to replace the painful OEM. It was a very pleasant experience. I had another obligation in the day and they did their best to push me through.

It is a complete custom job. The bike feels entirely different. The vibration is 95% eliminated, no more sliding into the crotch of the saddle, and best of all, no more hot spots on my ass.

This is a early review of the seat but the OEM seat was so bad it doesn't take much time on the bike to feel the results.

The workmanship is excellent. I am very impressed. No disappointments.
drofwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #135
Stofpad
n00b

Oddometer: 2
BMW Comfort Seat

I want to import a Corbin or Rich’s seat but it was just too expensive with the ZAR to $ exchange rate, import taxes etc.
I bought the BMW Comfort seat from our local BMW dealer here in Port Elizabeth South Africa at nearly half the prize than the other ones.
Must say it’s 100% better that the stock one and my wife is also happy with it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]IMG]http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/HondaXLV700/IMG_0243Medium.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Stofpad screwed with this post 02-05-2010 at 06:04 AM
Stofpad is offline   Reply With Quote