User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
RockyRaccoon OP
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,268
Is Chicago BMW Still in Business?

I ordered some parts a couple of weeks ago via their web site, and when the parts never came and I didn't hear anything from the Chicago BMW, I decided to give them a call. No answer. I sent an email. No response. There's nothing on their web site about seasonal closures.

Now I'm worried.

http://www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com/store/

It's a nice day today, and I was hoping to do the repair.
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
RockyRaccoon OP
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,268
Update

Whew. They're still there.

On my third attempt to call them, they answered the phone. The guy said their email isn't working. My order was "billed out" on Wednesday, Christmas Eve, but won't ship until day after tomorrow -- Monday.

Well, at least they'll get here.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Southernmost_Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I ordered stuff from them months ago. I mean like 6 months, ok it was actually 7 months. I don't know what's up with them.

I bought a brand new Final Drive for my 1979 R100RS - they sent the wrong one.

I'm $900 in that deal. They have billed me for things never sent and won't provide an analysis or even a response to my questions.

I don't know what's going on with that outfit. I've spent thousands with them but now, they don't bother returning my emails or calls.

I must be an asshole or something. I don't seem to have these problems with Bob's, Atlanta, Sierra, A&S or some of the other's I use.

Oh well...
Southernmost_Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmost_Paul
I ordered stuff from them months ago. I mean like 6 months, ok it was actually 7 months. I don't know what's up with them.

I bought a brand new Final Drive for my 1979 R100RS - they sent the wrong one.

I'm $900 in that deal. They have billed me for things never sent and won't provide an analysis or even a response to my questions.

I don't know what's going on with that outfit. I've spent thousands with them but now, they don't bother returning my emails or calls.

I must be an asshole or something. I don't seem to have these problems with Bob's, Atlanta, Sierra, A&S or some of the other's I use.

Oh well...
Hi Paul,
Do the other dealers you've ordered from give as good a deal on parts as Chicago? The reason I ask, I'm waiting for the best exchange rate time [cdn $] to put a big order in. I've taken advantage of their great prices before, but yeah, I had to wait for 2 months while parts were 'slow boated' in from Germany. Luckily, they got everything right, although I researched all the part #'s and e-mailed each with a parts description.
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
Southernmost_Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
Hi Paul,
Do the other dealers you've ordered from give as good a deal on parts as Chicago? The reason I ask, I'm waiting for the best exchange rate time [cdn $] to put a big order in. I've taken advantage of their great prices before, but yeah, I had to wait for 2 months while parts were 'slow boated' in from Germany. Luckily, they got everything right, although I researched all the part #'s and e-mailed each with a parts description.
Steve
Can't say I have. The other dealers are MSRP for the most part. I really don't get what the issue is with Chicago. I usually didn't mind waiting but this past year and their lack of response to my questions and requests (Not to mention that I have a Final Drive that won't mate with the rear wheel that I appear to be stuck with) has left me feeling luke warm toward them. I can't say I'd send my friends to Chicago BMW even for the discount.

For my old '79 RS I can order small items from Hucky's Spare Parts. Hans Lowe nice guy but retail prices.

Southernmost_Paul screwed with this post 12-28-2008 at 04:58 AM
Old 12-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
notarius
n00b

Oddometer: 5
2 months from placing an order for a friend's Rockster, I emailed them this November to cancel. I called by telephone a week later to confirm the email cancellation.

The parts arrived a few days later . . .
Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarius
2 months from placing an order for a friend's Rockster, I emailed them this November to cancel. I called by telephone a week later to confirm the email cancellation.

The parts arrived a few days later . . .
It does seem like a long time, 2 months. Not to defend them, but I might assume that they have arranged less expensive [read cheaper] shipping from Germany to offer cheaper parts prices. The trick would be to give this info to their customers so they have a reason and a heads up on the time.
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
I wouldn't order from Chicago if needing the parts fast, as they are slow for some reason. Usually takes at least 1 month to get parts from them, more like 6-8 weeks. I don't understand why as other dealers that charge retail get the parts out quicker. They are cheaper so sometimes I can wait.
If I don't need the part soon I'll order from them, if you need it quicker look elsewhere, maybe Hamersley.?
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,107
Hard to understand all your problems. I call the 800# and ask for Mark. Have ordered thousands of dollars of parts (for current bikes) over the past 6 years. Only time I've waited more than 1.5 weeks is for back ordered crashbars for my 800GS. I think there great which is why I've bought 7 bikes from them since '02.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
Southernmost_Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
Hard to understand all your problems. I call the 800# and ask for Mark. Have ordered thousands of dollars of parts (for current bikes) over the past 6 years. Only time I've waited more than 1.5 weeks is for back ordered crashbars for my 800GS. I think there great which is why I've bought 7 bikes from them since '02.
Yes it's very strange. Mark seems to be a good egg, he is the one I've delt with. It's a mystery to me why this past year was so bad. Hard staying on top of everything I'm sure. I even emailed them and asked if there was a box sitting around with my name on it - but never heard back. Sad....
Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
Odd1out
Clutch killing yahoo!!

Oddometer: 193
just a guess

I've been by there a couple of times, seems to me that they are very short staffed right now. Good guys can only do so much if there is only a few of them. Wish they would respond to people though, to at least let youknow what is going on. They have short hours too. Hard for me to get over there when they are actually open.
Odd1out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
theregulator
Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer: 201
I had issues with them in September.

Ordered a new turn signal cover and housing for my GSA. Three weeks later called to check status, and was told that I shouldn't expect a dealer to have all parts in stock. Not in a customer service friendly kind of way, if you know what I mean...

Called six weeks after placing the order and was told that they didn't know why it never shipped. Got it three days later.

Wonder if they lost a key person or if they have changed something internally that is causing the problems. All my prior experiences with Chicago were good.
theregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
BluegrassPicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I posted a similar post to anther forum recently. They completely missed my order until I called them weeks later.
BluegrassPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,405
I just ordered 3 filters for my F800gs...I got them in time no surprises. I am happy with them!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,555
20 % off, what's not to like
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote