-------------

Oddometer: 1,345

Very interesting
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #47
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Does this mean they are doing a dampener with top triple clamp?
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #48
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday
Dert Gerl:

Anything to report on the steering dampener?

Thanks
Unfortunately not. The CAD file was lost in a computer crash ...

With Scotts making their own mount there really isn't much point in recreating the file. It just isn't cost effective.

I'm a big fan of the Scotts Stabalizer. I think theirs will be worth the wait.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #49
pInniT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthGlick
Does this mean they are doing a dampener with top triple clamp?
not sure i think it is a clamp off the mx bikes...
pInniT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #50
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
No need to do a Top Triple on the F800GS, it just adds to the expense. The F800 Damper is available and makes a huge difference to the bike. Dave Petersen from Best rest was a big convert after being very skeptical. The Ralle Moto Damper inspires confidence.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 AM   #51
Mort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Take a look at my sreering damper it works a treat

[img=http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6696/ssl12604k.th.jpg]
[img=http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8764/800damper.th.jpg]
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #52
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Nice one Mort. I have had a few Scotts dampers on various bikes. A great damper for sure, but a little bit fiddly IMO without knowing where the damper setting is as there is no marking on the dial. And under bar mounting V above bar mounting!!

I think the under bar kit allows for a safer and cleaner mounting and also allows for GPS mounting points.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!

SteveRed screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 05:57 AM
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #53
maximuski
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer: 88
Question I need help!!!! steering dampener: Is that what I need??

Hi all,

Here my story: I got my F800 today and drove a few miles from from the service place to my home. I had the bike there because I bought a HyperPro low suspension kit (I'm inseam challenged), so it was my very first ride in the F800. My first minutes were great, nice torque for a very light bike, however when I took the highway and rode over 30mph I felt one of the most frightening feelings riding a bike ever... I could 'shake' the steering as if I was riding at 3mph!!! No steady control at the steering at all!!!! Actually I think if I had lift up my hands from the handlebar the bike would have gone anyware... jeez it felt so unsafe!

Since I never drove the F8 before installing this low suspension kit, I really don't know if my problem is related to the new geometry of the bike, or if this is a common issue in the F800.

I don't know if I had explain well my issue (my poor english!) but I'm very concern about it.. how a bike can allow you to shake the steering over 30 or 40 mph??? It should remain steady!! Not 100% steady but steady enough for not having to worry about that...It just don't feel right at all, the stering is too soft at any speed.

Is this comon in the F800? Do I need a steering dampener?

I'll really appreciate you help in this matter!
Julian
maximuski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #54
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Do you have a knobbie or street tire mounted on the front wheel? I've found certain knobbies can feel very 'light' in the steering!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #55
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
I think your problem could be related to the rear suspension. I have noted in various reports that if you load up the F800Gs and don't stiffen the preload on the back it becomes unstable.

Also I have recently replaced my rear TKC80 with a Heidenau K60. The TKC80 was very worn and I noticed that the bike was much more unstable than I remembered. When I changed tyres the stability was very good again. I imagine this was partly due to the increase in rear ride height.

So ... what am I saying? I think it's important that the rear ride height isn't too low compared to the front. You have just done a major alteration to the suspension, so I would check that the rear preload is "Stiff enough" for your weight, and I would check that the front forks are lowered in their clamps to the line about 8mm down from the fork top, or lower.

I suspect that this casts doubt on the Harly Davidson theory of relative ride heghts, but this doesn't suprise me.

This thread could help ... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411916

Somewhere on Advrider there is a thread with the bit and photos of the forks, I can't find it sorry.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #56
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Did they also slide the triple clamp down on the fork tubes? How much of the fork is showing above the top triple clamp?

(I'm trying to remember what Doris Weidemann's bike looked like--it was lowered quite a bit....)

The steering is light--almost magic--but I have never experienced anything like what you describe.....

Rob in Seattle
Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #57
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
My F650GS twin is pretty light compared to may 2010 R1200GS. The 650 is a lot better with a damper. I am awful temped to but one on the 1200.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #58
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
I think your problem could be related to the rear suspension. I have noted in various reports that if you load up the F800Gs and don't stiffen the preload on the back it becomes unstable.

Also I have recently replaced my rear TKC80 with a Heidenau K60. The TKC80 was very worn and I noticed that the bike was much more unstable than I remembered. When I changed tyres the stability was very good again. I imagine this was partly due to the increase in rear ride height.

So ... what am I saying? I think it's important that the rear ride height isn't too low compared to the front. You have just done a major alteration to the suspension, so I would check that the rear preload is "Stiff enough" for you weight, and I would check that the front forks are lowered in their clamps to the line about 8mm down from the fork top, or lower.

I suspect that this casts doubt on the Harly Davidson theory of relative ride heghts, but this doesn't suprise me.

This thread could help ... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411916

Somewhere on Advrider there is a thread with the bit and photos of the forks, I can't find it sorry.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #59
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Boy, you guys must have some incredible skill to be able to diagnose his suspension "problems" over the web so easily.... and must be experts to tell someone how to set up their bike...

I have HP lowered springs on my 8gs, and TKC 80's.... My bike handles just fine, as a matter of fact I think it's more stable in the corners than before it was lowered.
I can let go of my bars at ANY speed with no fear of anything.
I take it you had this work done at a BMW dealer, so I'm also assuming they took the bike for a test ride after doing work on it like every BMW dealer does with every bike they work on...

Are you saying that YOU can shake the bike or that the bike shakes itself?

If you're shaking it, I must ask WHY?
maybe it's a canadian thing....

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-01-2010 at 05:21 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #60
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuski
Hi all,

Here my story: I got my F800 today and .............

Is this your first 21" wheeled bike? I felt the same "differences" when I went from a fairly wide 19" to a 90/90/ 21".

Give it a few days, you might find it is just you and the bike getting acquainted.

PS the rally moto steering dampener is the BOMB! and you should get one anyway.