User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Hambone950 OP
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
UKGSERs is this bike still around?

26 bikes ago: My first pukka adventure bike....back in the UK circa 1993.

http://hambone950s.smugmug.com/galle...896_sDNsq-A-LB

Interested in tracking it down and possibly re-acquiring it. Is it still around?
Photo is outside my place in 1993. It is an Andrew Sexton special. It would be nice if someone who has one could post a picture of the custom alloy swing arm/ drive shafts Andrew had made for these. They are a work of art. The rear tank was ex one of the French police Dakar riders and came with race stickers before I cleaned it up. Saddle is a modified police bike single saddle. Good for all day riding!. I cannot recall the brand of exhaust but it sure sounded good and made the bike sound like an airplane. Forks and rear shock were WP units. Forks had "HPN1988" stamped on them and were reputed reworked, unused Dakar items. Engine was fairly cooking apart from the airfilter. This was all pre-internet so thank goodness for enthusiasts like Sexton back in the day. Still it did not have the modified brake in this picture. This was my second road bike after a standard 1988 GS 80. The difference was amazing. I used to bungy a cut up wet suit onto the rear tank for the tiny girlfriend to sit on hence it still has the rear pegs. I cannot believe that I sold it for 3,500GBP to get a Husky 610
H
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
Send Tarka a PM, his mate (Dr Alf) had one of these bikes, I know Tarka had a few pictures of it. Or get in touch with Mavis Cruet on UKGser - he bought the bike from Dr Alf.

Your old bike is still out there and is obviously still being used :-

The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for SBF 275W are:

Date of Liability 01 08 2009
Date of First Registration 30 03 1981
Year of Manufacture 1981
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 797CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval null

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 10:33 AM
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Hambone950 OP
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Thanks Rob

Took me a while to post the photos after the hurricane.
Andrew worked his magic in 1991 I think.
If that link is the bike it still looks great.
I will follow up as suggested.
H
Old 12-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,470
Keep us posted on this....I think it will be pretty kool. Kinda like lookin for that first girl you..............

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,014
Rob - without the vin or anything else, how were you able to track down this bike? Here in the states, even with that identifying info I wouldn't be able to track it down. Such data is available only to law enforcement.

Perhaps I didn't follow you - the one you referenced was one similar, or modified by the same person, as Hambone's?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

H,

Sorry Mate. I didn't explain that too well. The red and white bike in the picture isn't your old bike but is one of the Andrew Sexton bikes built at the same time as your yours. I thought you could contact the owner for the pictures of the swinging arm you asked for.

WS,

Have a look here Linky

All you need is the registration and vehicle colour.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Hambone950 OP
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

UK Registration tracker

Interesting web site. Harmless fun snooping on our old vehicles. Punched in a few of our many past citroens regs # that somehow exist in my child like brain and no surprise to find all are scrapped within 10 years of manufacture. If my 950 was like that, being nearly 6 years old it's time is 40% up. My VOR would be scrapped already. Does this mean that bikes hold their value better than cars (in terms of useable transportation and carbon knobbly print)
As for the old re-worked Sexton bike, it's first year of manufacture was 81.
Wonder how the frame is holding up at 28 years old!

Farmer Rob, thanks for the photo of your BIMMER in Seagrave at the top of the hill. Have you tried the re-done pub in the village?. One of the craziest bastards that ever lived used to run it on a nightly lock in basis with a bunch of resident desperado folkies who demonstrated morris dancing (and an interesting teeth collection) to my bemused, shocked very American wife. Place was brilliant but a bit of a shambles. May have become a bit antiseptic now. The folks who own it are also F1 telemetary people. I think that they have programmed their M5s to drive themselves home. Unlike Hamilton's dad who appears to have wrapped a brand new Carrera whilst sauced up.
Leicestershire is a great place tho'
H
Old 12-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

H,

I haven't been in the pub since it was done up. They have a website now http://www.whitehorseseagrave.co.uk/index.html

Seagrave has it's own site as well http://www.swmh.ik.com/home.ikml

Leicestershires a great place. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Tell your Mum to give me a wave if she sees a white bike riding through.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Hambone950 OP
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Teeth

Blimey, nice teeth if you follow the link to the pub.
Hope to be there soon.
H
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
TheCadman
Old school

Oddometer: 14
Still around, still running, but looking a bit different!

H

In answer to your original questions, SBF 275W is certainly still around in the UK, but I'm afraid it's not for sale (although I may be persuaded by a very silly offer!)

To pick up the full story from when you sold it in 1994:

I am your original buyer (assuming you lived in Teddington at the time) I used it on the road and dirt for a few years, including several of the UK trailbike rallies (the photo in the album is from the Cambrian Rally in 1995)

As you mentioned, the engine was standard and I felt that it would benefit from a bit(!) of a tune-up. It went back to Andrew Sexton in 1996 to tweek the engine. It came back with: 1050cc Cosworth pistons, gas-flowed and twin-plugged heads, R90S camshaft, Mikuni slide carbs, hardened valve seats and a deepened sump. All adding up to an estimated 75hp, which with Desert tyres meant that not a lot came past me on the gravel tracks (or if they did, they were severely peppered)

I continued to race it for a couple of years, until I came to my senses, realising that fording deep rivers in Wales with a 4000 engine would eventually end in tears. I therefore retired the GS to road use and bought a KTM 520 for the dirt

However, it seemed a shame to have all that power in what was, by now, a slightly tatty chassis, so I stripped it all down and sent the relevant bits back to Andrew to complete the conversion to the bike I always wanted - a replica of his original PD replica (see the scanned slide in the album). We powder-coated the frame red, painted the tanks in red and white, tidied-up the fitting of the rear tank and replaced the GS style lights and instruments with an Acerbis enduro light and a pair of /7 instruments. I also replaced the whole wiring loom which by now was very corroded and rotting in places.

Which brings us up to date - the photos were taken earlier today after I found this thread (I've just bought a 990 Adv S as a commuting bike and was browsing ADV rider looking for info on that). I use the GS far less than it deserves, but writing this has made me determined to sort-out a couple of niggling oil leaks (from the gearbox - shaft gaiter and one of the exhaust ports) and get back on it

You particularly mentioned the swing-arm, hopefully the photos show the general form of it. I can always whip-out the rear wheel and get some better close-ups if you want. I did need to take it back to Andrew for repair soon after I bought the bike (must have been your 20,000 off road miles!) as the welds around the plate where it bolts to the final drive had started to crack. (technically, the tube is inserted in a plate with a hole in at this point and the original welds had not fully penetrated the plate, meaning that there were stress-rising cracks around the tube) He returned it to the original fabricator who substantially reinforced the join and it has been fine since.

Here are the photos (including one that Andrew took when the original bike first came to him) :

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/v...albumview=grid

In summary, it is the only bike I've ever ridden that makes me feel small (although I pick-up the ADV S on Tuesday which I suspect will feel the same) and it has pride of place in the garage. I'm unlikely to use it off-road again, so if anyone knows of a more useable GS based dirtbike that's available, I may be interested (an HPN SPort would be great, but not at this € / exchange rate)

Graham, aka The Cadman

2 May update: Due to a rear wheel puncture yesterday, I've been able to add some more detailed pictures of the swingarm (the final drive needs to come off to get the wide wheel and tyre out!)

TheCadman screwed with this post 05-03-2009 at 01:14 PM
TheCadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Result
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,567
Wow, beautiful bike.. crazy odds at finding the new owner.

I wish I could find my dads R75/5..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCadman
H

In answer to your original questions, SBF 275W is certainly still around in the UK, but I'm afraid it's not for sale (although I may be persuaded by a very silly offer!)

To pick up the full story from when you sold it in 1994:

I am your original buyer ...

Here are the photos (including one that Andrew took when the original bike first came to him) :

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/v...albumview=grid

Graham, aka The Cadman
Wow, it is a shame what you have done to her

absolutely beautiful...

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote