ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Lord Dogmeat OP
OMG imma greenie now
 
Lord Dogmeat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Thornton, CO
Oddometer: 107
So what is the dirt biking situation really like around Kermit, TX?

I'm thinking about putting in for a job down there, so I'm researching the dirt options .... Not really into the adventure riding (yet), but would like to be able to hop on my bike after work and ride a couple hours. More into trails and jeep roads and that type of thing than anything. I know they have sand dunes down there, but how big are they? Anything like Sand Mountain in Utah?

I guess I'm sort of considering putting in for a job there or back in Utah, but I think career wise it'd be better to go to Texas.

Anybody got the inside scoop?
__________________
2014 KTM 300 XC-W
Lord Dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer
 
dfwscotty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Oddometer: 3,197
I spent a majority of my life 20 miles south of there.

Congratulations. You're moving to the land of no dirt bike riding but that area is loaded with natural gas. I can't imagine moving there for anything else.

You can ride the sand dunes if you are into that.

Plenty of lease roads for the oil/gas fields but mostly gated ranch land.
__________________
Traffick911

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet
 
veriest1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Tejas
Oddometer: 2,232
No inside scoop but you'll be close to New Mexico and closer than most of the population to Big Bend Ranch State Park.

Your dirt bike will need to be street legal which isn't much of an issue in TX.

You should look at this RR: http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=3799.0
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Rsquared
Echo
 
Rsquared's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 103
Better research housing. With the boom taking place out there now, not much to choose from and high prices to boot. There's nothing close by for decent riding...
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
Rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer
 
SKINNY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dogmeat View Post
I'm thinking about putting in for a job down there, so I'm researching the dirt options .... Not really into the adventure riding (yet), but would like to be able to hop on my bike after work and ride a couple hours. More into trails and jeep roads and that type of thing than anything. I know they have sand dunes down there, but how big are they? Anything like Sand Mountain in Utah?

I guess I'm sort of considering putting in for a job there or back in Utah, but I think career wise it'd be better to go to Texas.

Anybody got the inside scoop?
No trails
No Jeep roads
The sand dunes are mostly small rolling dunes more like what you'll see near beaches.
Since it's all on private land, you may or may not find anyplace to ride.
There was a place that tolerated riding on their property, but I think the landowner finally got tired of the drunks
trashing the place and no longer allows riding.


You're 15 miles from New Mexico but not much to ride until you get west of Carlsbad...
Near Queen, New Mexico, which is about 3 hrs from Kermit...
Kermit is a very small town with virtually no housing
Several of the towns in the area have built man camps for the oilfield housing problem.
Sort of a portable motel...no drinking...no women...no fun...
Odessa is 45 miles east and unless you have a suitcase full of money, you won't find hotel or motel space
there.
The boom has completely overloaded housing and motel all thru west Texas and southeast New Mexico.
If you're looking for nice scenery and outdoor activity, stay in Colorado.
If you're in the oil field line of work, you can make a shitload of money in Texas...
I've lived here most of my life, so I'm used to the place, but a lot of folks think west Texas is the armpit of the world...

SKINNY screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 04:37 AM
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer
 
No False Enthusiasm's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Small Town, Texas
Oddometer: 4,236
Motel rooms in Odessa are now as expensive as hotel rooms in Manhattan...

Lived in Odessa during the boom... during the bust, and then recovery... from 1980-2003.

Ran some cows off the Caprock between Kermit and Odessa, just west of Notrees (as in No Trees, aptly named). Damned things were wild eyed...

Boomtime: no place to live, crowded,expensive...

Bust: mobile homes and drilling rigs stacked like cordwood.

Good luck...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer
 
SKINNY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Ran some cows off the Caprock between Kermit and Odessa, just west of Notrees (as in No Trees, aptly named). Damned things were wild eyed...

NFE

North or south of Hwy 302??

We had a lease for riding on the Waddel ranch back in the mid-70's..
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Lord Dogmeat OP
OMG imma greenie now
 
Lord Dogmeat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Thornton, CO
Oddometer: 107
Well ..... guess Kermit is off the list......I will see if I can get the job back in utah
__________________
2014 KTM 300 XC-W
Lord Dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
ElTaco
Adventurer
 
ElTaco's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
No trails
No Jeep roads
The sand dunes are mostly small rolling dunes more like what you'll see near beaches.
Since it's all on private land, you may or may not find anyplace to ride.
There was a place that tolerated riding on their property, but I think the landowner finally got tired of the drunks
trashing the place and no longer allows riding.


You're 15 miles from New Mexico but not much to ride until you get west of Carlsbad...
Near Queen, New Mexico, which is about 3 hrs from Kermit...
Kermit is a very small town with virtually no housing
Several of the towns in the area have built man camps for the oilfield housing problem.
Sort of a portable motel...no drinking...no women...no fun...
Odessa is 45 miles east and unless you have a suitcase full of money, you won't find hotel or motel space
there.
The boom has completely overloaded housing and motel all thru west Texas and southeast New Mexico.
If you're looking for nice scenery and outdoor activity, stay in Colorado.
If you're in the oil field line of work, you can make a shitload of money in Texas...
I've lived here most of my life, so I'm used to the place, but a lot of folks think west Texas is the armpit of the world...
This is absolutely accurate. If you want to ride or drive a trail without chance of getting a ticket or getting shot at, you head west for federal land.

Sure, there's access to the sand dunes all over, but just think about your ride. I've seen sand on the wrong side of gaskets and seals in great abundance.

sandhills~sandkills
ElTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer
 
No False Enthusiasm's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Small Town, Texas
Oddometer: 4,236
Ran cows north of 302... familiar with the Waddell ranching operation.

Thirty years ago, James said, "We're just tryin' to grow grass... the cows harvest the crop."

Pretty dry out there...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
Lord Dogmeat OP
OMG imma greenie now
 
Lord Dogmeat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Thornton, CO
Oddometer: 107
Ok, I guess I'm back to looking at the job down there.... guess I better get a toy hauler for the weekends hahaha
__________________
2014 KTM 300 XC-W
Lord Dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014