User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #31
Silver OP
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Bruce, thank you for the info!

Currently setting tentative date for Leave from Houston on Sat. April 18th. Ride Sun/Mon depending on various factors ride back on Tuesday or maybe prolong till Wednesday for ride back. My actual personal plans are to do Hill country and then afterwards head to Corpus Christi for some beach time for a few days. You are welcome to come on that, but you'll have to find lodging for yourself as I'll be hanging at a friends house and don't want to inundate him with 17 riders or anything.

So that's the tentative plan. We'll be leaving Tulsa on the 17th, ride to hill country from Houston on the 18th, then ride ride ride.

Now, are we camping or getting a cabin? For those that know hill country a little help would be AWESOME. Mostly want to stick close to the better roads if we can, if we are doing a cabin.

For camping, we'll we'll probably just squirt around hill country and find different places to camp or something. Both these points are up for debate.

As for routes? Eh I'm a meanderer, and if I see something that looks neat I'm probably going to go check it out. If I see anything that is "The biggest in the world" I'm definitely going to go check it out. One of the bonus's of getting a cabin would be that everyone can go do/ride/check out whatever they want and we have a focal meeting point. Works well for DS/Sportbike/Cruisers as everyone gets to do their own thing without worrying about the "well fuck whose lost??" type stuff.

So that's what I got so far.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #32
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,720
Check our cabins around Leakey, Tx. The Rio Fio is a nice river to stay by. Garner State Park has cabins and great camping, but is BUSY during April. Dee-Rose Motel/Cabins in Leakey is motorcycle friendly. I think Frio Canyon Motorcyle Stop has new cabins also. Also cabins around Vanderpool. Great riding area. RR335,336,337 are must do's.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #33
Silver OP
Dirtnewb

Oh yeah the 3 sisters is definitely on the list. They are focused by Leakey yes? Frio Canyon might be fun.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #34
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
The Ride!

Leaky is Kinda in the middle of the 3 Sisters, Kinda. There are great places to stay all over the Hill Country. If you want to camp out, there is a nice KOA Campground right next to lukenbach. Dee-Rose is also very motorcycle friendly. I live in SA, so I will stay at home. I live about 45 mins from Bandera which is also a nice ride up Hwy 16 North.

Speaking of Bandera, there is a LOT of cabins to rent in that area right on the Medina River. NICE!!!! So you may want to get on the web and check into that. Plus the nightlife on the weekends is pretty cool there.

If you need a tour guide I will raise my hand. But I need to see what my schedule is. I work offshore 14 on and 7 off. Haven't made next years schedule, but I will work on it and let yall know if I can make those dates.

I may even head down with you to Corpus. My dads place is in Rockport which is only about an hour east from there. This may end up being a pretty cool ride!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #35
Silver OP
Dirtnewb

Rocking info! So focusing on Bandera's we have the following, figures are based on 6 people total staying in the cabin. Will be staying Sat night-tue day. So 4 days 3 nights.

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=i...num=1&ct=title

http://www.backroadstexas.net/casadelrio.htm

For 6 people roughly 110 bux for the full 4 days. By the river, shit loads of living space. I dunno about bike parking though. Would like to have something with a carport or garage incase anyone has to work on anything.

This one is looking pretty cool...

http://www.backroadstexas.net/highlander.htm
  • River access for hiking, swiming, tubing
  • Telephone
  • Tubes provided with compressor
  • Outdoor propane grill
Hell yeah! I know riding is the main focal point but some tubing cool down time would be pretty rockin as well. Total for the 4 days with 6 people would be roughly 95 bucks per night. Says something about a 12% sales tax though and 50 dollars for the second bedroom? I don't know about that, don't think we'll need the second bedroom what with all the beds they already have. Will find out more if this is the one we decide to go with.

This on a lake, looks to have a garage.

http://www.backroadstexas.net/lakehiawatha.htm

No smoking permitted? Oi! Eh other than that pretty spacious, even if it's not on the river. Will have to call about the garage. Roughly 110 per person.

A carport!@

http://www.backroadstexas.net/martin_house.htm

This one is pretty ok looking as well, but I don't think it's on the river. :( Roughly 80 dollars per person, even if it's not on the river the price is right.

Ok, this one looks stellar. Also if we don't have 6 people I think I'm totally going to try to get the caboose.

http://www.backroadstexas.net/mullers_ark.htm

Uhh, eh figure anything there really is going to be about 80-100 for the full 3 nights. Click that link and see which one you like.

OK, that's what I got for right now, just kind of a here's what we're looking at. Some pretty cool stuff, I might look around for leakey cabins as well. Just all over.

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #36
gibbsb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I put on a rally in the Hill Country for several years and if you go to www.nine-eleven.com/rally, there are several maps of the area that you are welcome to use.

Have fun,

Barry
gibbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #37
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Awsome!

Still waiting to get next years schedule, but I will try my hardest to get these dates off. I may put in to stay at whatever cabin yall decide on. Sounds like a good idea also. Just get up and ride, ride, ride!!!! I'm ready to roll!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Rocking info! So focusing on Bandera's we have the following, figures are based on 6 people total staying in the cabin. Will be staying Sat night-tue day. So 4 days 3 nights.

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=i...num=1&ct=title

http://www.backroadstexas.net/casadelrio.htm

For 6 people roughly 110 bux for the full 4 days. By the river, shit loads of living space. I dunno about bike parking though. Would like to have something with a carport or garage incase anyone has to work on anything.

This one is looking pretty cool...

http://www.backroadstexas.net/highlander.htm
  • River access for hiking, swiming, tubing
  • Telephone
  • Tubes provided with compressor
  • Outdoor propane grill
Hell yeah! I know riding is the main focal point but some tubing cool down time would be pretty rockin as well. Total for the 4 days with 6 people would be roughly 95 bucks per night. Says something about a 12% sales tax though and 50 dollars for the second bedroom? I don't know about that, don't think we'll need the second bedroom what with all the beds they already have. Will find out more if this is the one we decide to go with.

This on a lake, looks to have a garage.

http://www.backroadstexas.net/lakehiawatha.htm

No smoking permitted? Oi! Eh other than that pretty spacious, even if it's not on the river. Will have to call about the garage. Roughly 110 per person.

A carport!@

http://www.backroadstexas.net/martin_house.htm

This one is pretty ok looking as well, but I don't think it's on the river. :( Roughly 80 dollars per person, even if it's not on the river the price is right.

Ok, this one looks stellar. Also if we don't have 6 people I think I'm totally going to try to get the caboose.

http://www.backroadstexas.net/mullers_ark.htm

Uhh, eh figure anything there really is going to be about 80-100 for the full 3 nights. Click that link and see which one you like.

OK, that's what I got for right now, just kind of a here's what we're looking at. Some pretty cool stuff, I might look around for leakey cabins as well. Just all over.

Cheers!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #38
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 526
Apple Pie

Medina, Tx incredible apple pie..near Bandera
Just throwing this idea out. If you can't find housing look at Castroville.
16 miles from Bandera?

Les
Old 12-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #39
Tman66
Shawn's bro

Oddometer: 8,448
A really nice place!

http://www.koyoteranch.com/
Tman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #40
Silver OP
Dirtnewb

Oohhh, that is nice. From the guys I'm talking to here it's up between the Koyote or the place with the tubes/river right there. Also possible change of plans might be camping for hill country and getting a beach house for CC. As right now I have possibly 2 from Tulsa, 1 from Houson, and 1 from Chicago coming for the whole week. While I could probably impose on my friend for that, might be easier to just do a cabin/beach house for the 2 nights we'll be there.

If we do go camping I'm wanting to find a spot that's like, RIGHT on the river. Step out of my tent, walk 25 feet or less, fall in river. So we'll see how that pans out. Figured it would be better to camp in Hill country vs camp on beach and get all super sandy/gunk in everything.

So, Corpus people what kinda beach houses are for rent.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #41
nanohiccup
in time

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss
...... I enthusiastically recommend the following route beginning at the intersection of RR 620 & RR 2222/Bullick Hollow Rd northwest of Austin (near Lake Travis):
Bullick Hollow Rd west
Volente Rd west (turn left onto Volente Rd from Bullick Hollow Rd)
Lime Creek Road west/north
RR 1431 west to Marble Falls
Hwy 281 north
Park Road 4 west / north
Hwy 29 to Llano for some Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ

- Lime Creek Road is a wonderful, twisty, sport-bike favorite, wear out the sides of your tires, road.
- RR1431 is scenic, somewhat twisty, and fun.
- Park Road 4 starts off as a roller-coaster up and down road and then turns into a great, twisty ride.
Thank You!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #42
bwbcpa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Planning a trip for spring maybe, hitting up the hill country. I know llano for BBQ, and the three sisters are must stops. Wanting to hear what else we should look for? Just general riding around the hill country, departing from Houston, get there, ride two days, come back.

Must ride roads?
Must eat places?
Good lodging?

Also, lastly if anyone knows of any "Biggest in the world" things, pleaaaaaase let me know. I love that stuff.

Will trade AR knowledge for TX knowledge!

Also, won't be any dirt for me at least, so think pavement. hehe. Although if you want to toss in some must ride dirt roads please do, the trip is open ended for anyone with 2 wheels so there might be some dual sporters there as well.

Lastly, if anyone wants to meet up down there or go down there, that's cool too. I'll be taking the wife and the bike on a trailer to Houston, then leaving the wife at the inlaws and heading out on the bike from there.

Cheers!
I'm going to the Hill country in April and doing the same thing you are, leaving the wife and trailer in Houston with the in-laws and riding over from there. I'm meeting some other riders in Hunt and we'll be riding from April 20-24. We'll be based out of the River Road Inn. If you're down there during that time, look for a group of hooligans on BMW's - that will be us! If you're in Houston when I am, we can meet up and ride over together.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #43
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Silver & bwbcpa,

Check out my ride report on The Three Sisters on my sigtag below. My suggestion would be to start in Bandera or Kerrville (I went on to Mexico after doing the 3, but haven't finished writing the Mexico portion yet).

Enjoy the trip.

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #44
Silver OP
Dirtnewb

bwbcpa: Ahh, wife is staying in town so we're going straight there. We will be in the same area the 20th - 23rd though. Will definitely have to meet up sometime in there! Going to be doing routes here soon and deciding where we are going to be staying and all that. That will all be in the planning thread I'll link you up to the google routes I post up though. BBQ in Llano?

Pedro: Thanks!!! Checking that out right now.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #45
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,720
Coopers BBQ in Llano. Easy to find on main east/west Hwy. Ask any local or just follow your nose to the smoke that signals excellent BBQ. You will not regret going there. Guaranteed. Have eaten there for many years and it is always great. Riding in the area is the same, excellent.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote