User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #46
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,190
Feasting on asphalt

First stop on your hill country should be Lockart which is east of Austin. There are three or four BBQ places in town. Blacks is world renown and the others are just as good so I've been told. The original Rudys BBQ north of San Antonio in Leon Springs is one of my favorites. Their creme corn and brisket are to die for. Across the highway is a very nice bike shop that sells just Italian bikes. Be careful driving up to Bandera because the speed zone changes alot and the county mountie likes to stop bikers. I was doing 70 in a 65. He let me off with a warning so I can't bitch. Most of the roads in the hill country are 70 so you can scoot right along. In Bandera down by the river is a very nice motel with remodeled rooms. Someone already mentioned the three sisters, don't miss them. You mentioned big; there is a world record live oak in Utopia, its HUGE. There isn't much else in Utopia except for a restaurant, a coffee shop, a park by the river and gas just north of town. To the north in Vanderpool is the Lone Star motorcycle museum. Aussie owned and a very nice collection of bikes with a limited food menu. 337 from Leaky to Medina is a great road late in the day with the sun behind you. The road north from Medina to Kerrville is a great ride too. There is a motorcycle friendly campground along the way or go to Kerrville to get back to reality. There is a nice clean motel on the far west end of Fredricksburg by the split in the road. Fredrickburg also has great German food and beer. Take the old San Antonio road south to the bat tunnel and watch the Mexican freetail bats at sunset and then go over to Luckenback and hang with the Harley crowd. Good beer, vibes and friendly locals. If you haven't noticed by now I love the hill country. Not bad for a guy from the midwest. You lucky SOB!
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #47
Ann Hollandsworth
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Caldwell View Post
If you're the non cruiser type (i.e., you like to turn up the pace a little in the twisty bits) i'd suggest trying to ride the hill country during the week as the Harley crowd will likely be out in full force on a spring weekend. Getting stuck behind a group of them is no fun as they tend to ride at less than a motor home pace. A week day & you'll pretty much have the place to yourself. Go on the weekend, well, don't say I didn't warn you!
Sadly my husband and I went by " The Narrows " yesterday, Thanksgiving 2012. Seemingly it has succumbed to the drought here in Texas. I was so jazzed to see these pictures and raced over there. Interesting, there were 6 other folks looking for the same thing and they said they would email if they found it...no email, they didnt find it. My first clue when I looked back at the pictures above was that everything was green, especially the hills in the back. they are no longer green. Then I looked back at the posts here and they are 5 years old. IF it rains substantially in the next 5 years it will come back and be as gorgeous as it ever was and I will let you know when and if it does.... Ann Hollandsworth
Ann Hollandsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #48
Silver OP
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,261
Thank you for the update Ann. Yeah Drought is pretty much hitting everywhere. From the stuff I've seen online though the narrows is on private land so even if it were awesome like in the pictures you'd have to have express permission from the owners to be able to go hang out there.

Also, further north from hill country I think in the Llano area/Marble Falls area I remember going to a natural spring that was awesome. On top it had a spring fed pool and down below was the actual spring and it had caves and stuff under it. Anyone know what I'm talking about??
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #49
Ann Hollandsworth
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Caldwell View Post
If you're the non cruiser type (i.e., you like to turn up the pace a little in the twisty bits) i'd suggest trying to ride the hill country during the week as the Harley crowd will likely be out in full force on a spring weekend. Getting stuck behind a group of them is no fun as they tend to ride at less than a motor home pace. A week day & you'll pretty much have the place to yourself. Go on the weekend, well, don't say I didn't warn you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Thank you for the update Ann. Yeah Drought is pretty much hitting everywhere. From the stuff I've seen online though the narrows is on private land so even if it were awesome like in the pictures you'd have to have express permission from the owners to be able to go hang out there.

Also, further north from hill country I think in the Llano area/Marble Falls area I remember going to a natural spring that was awesome. On top it had a spring fed pool and down below was the actual spring and it had caves and stuff under it. Anyone know what I'm talking about??
You are talking about Hamiltons Pool. There is Jacobs Well also. If you search the net you can get directions. There are tons of swimming holes but not anything like the pic that was posted. Unfortunately!!! How did you get the info the Narrows is on private property and where did you get that info? The Narrows is actually an LCRA property that is a recrearion area outside of Austin..so I am wondering IF someone just called it the Narrows and in fact it isnt in the Narrows recreation area at all. I am going to take the cooridinates that someone posted and see where that is. However I am positive since the post was from 5 years ago.. It has to be dry by now. Swimming holes that we went to 2 years ago were dry this past summer. Anyway, I will keep you posted. Thanks man!
Ann Hollandsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #50
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 410
Seguin and San Angelo

Check out the world's largest pecan in Seguin, Texas:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/4031

Also the setting for much of the novel and teledrama True Women (starring Dana Delaney). The recommendations you have been given so far are spot on, and I'd like to add a side trip to San Angelo to see the historic murals:

http://www.historicmuralsofsanangelo.org/

Lots of nice roads around San Angelo without tons of traffic. There is Miss Hattie's Bordello Museum there as well.

Have fun!!

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #51
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hollandsworth View Post
You are talking about Hamiltons Pool. There is Jacobs Well also. If you search the net you can get directions. There are tons of swimming holes but not anything like the pic that was posted. Unfortunately!!! How did you get the info the Narrows is on private property and where did you get that info? The Narrows is actually an LCRA property that is a recrearion area outside of Austin..so I am wondering IF someone just called it the Narrows and in fact it isnt in the Narrows recreation area at all. I am going to take the cooridinates that someone posted and see where that is. However I am positive since the post was from 5 years ago.. It has to be dry by now. Swimming holes that we went to 2 years ago were dry this past summer. Anyway, I will keep you posted. Thanks man!
I've been close to the narrows and it is on private property. Narrows road starts where rm 473 dead ends into fm32 south of blanco and continues north towards the blanco river until you get to a gate with a no trespassing sign on it. You could go through it, but I tend to obey the signs because many residents are well armed and don't care for trespassers.

South of kendalia there is a spring called edge falls that may be the feed for the narrows as it leads southeast. No doubt it is also dry now but when its going its a sight to behold. Unfortunately swimming isn't allowed there either.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #52
Silver OP
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,261
Quote:
You are talking about Hamiltons Pool. There is Jacobs Well also. If you search the net you can get directions.
Stellar info, searching out Hamiltons pool now. Thanks! Most of what I know of the narrows is from this thread, I think there may have been another thread on a different forum but it's long gone now. Just heard that it was priv property as well as possibly a reserve of some sort as I guess the formation of it is rare I think. Haha, we need more intel!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #53
maddholly
n00b

Quote:

Ann, you're speaking of The Narrows Recreation Area that's out in Spicewood near Krause springs. The photos of The Narrows in this thread are from out on the Blanco river in Hays County. I made the same mistake this last weekend. Does anyone out there have any contact information for the "owners" (ugh give me a break) of The Narrows in Hays county? Or detailed location info? I'd really like to get permission to bring a few folks out there and see this (apparently) marvelous stretch of Hill Country.
maddholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #54
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Not to be a buzz killer but here in Texas, Private Property is usually OFF LIMITS. And yes, most of us landowners are well armed. If you do find the land owner, a friendly ask is always appreciated. Sometimes we do let people onto our property who will respect our land.

Unfortunately, too many people have abused this privilege so land owners are reluctant to allow entry, and liability issues.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #55
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,190
I never heard of the Narrows? I've explored that area on my bike and would never expect there to be a canyon like that there. I respect private property and would never go there but do enjoy the pictures. Thanks. If anyone wants to swim or walk the Narrows I guess we will have to go to Zion National Park to do it.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #56
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddholly View Post
Ann, you're speaking of The Narrows Recreation Area that's out in Spicewood near Krause springs. The photos of The Narrows in this thread are from out on the Blanco river in Hays County. I made the same mistake this last weekend. Does anyone out there have any contact information for the "owners" (ugh give me a break) of The Narrows in Hays county? Or detailed location info? I'd really like to get permission to bring a few folks out there and see this (apparently) marvelous stretch of Hill Country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
I've been close to the narrows and it is on private property. Narrows road starts where rm 473 dead ends into fm32 south of blanco and continues north towards the blanco river until you get to a gate with a no trespassing sign on it. You could go through it, but I tend to obey the signs because many residents are well armed and don't care for trespassers.

South of kendalia there is a spring called edge falls that may be the feed for the narrows as it leads southeast. No doubt it is also dry now but when its going its a sight to behold. Unfortunately swimming isn't allowed there either.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #57
maddholly
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Not to be a buzz killer but here in Texas, Private Property is usually OFF LIMITS. And yes, most of us landowners are well armed. If you do find the land owner, a friendly ask is always appreciated. Sometimes we do let people onto our property who will respect our land.

Unfortunately, too many people have abused this privilege so land owners are reluctant to allow entry, and liability issues.
This is why I'm asking if anyone has the contact information for the land owners of the Narrows, Hays County.
maddholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #58
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
check out Fort McKavett which is northwest of Kerrville.

Great example of the line of forts from south to north across Texas.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #59
texasandnature
n00b

The Narrows on the Blanco River

The Narrows is a private property. It is part of a family ranch. It is not open to the public. This property is on the Blanco River. Check out the information at http://www.texaslandconservancy.org/...rmenu-168.html. Sign up for guided tours at http://texaslandconservancy.us4.list...&id=bfb54114f6.
texasandnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #60
texasandnature
n00b

The Narrows on Blanco River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
This is the narrows place I was talking about. Need to find a line on the owner and see if we can go swimming.

The Narrows is a private property. It is part of a family ranch. It is not open to the public. This property is on the Blanco River. Check out the information at http://www.texaslandconservancy.org/...rmenu-168.html. Sign up for guided tours at http://texaslandconservancy.us4.list...&id=bfb54114f6.
texasandnature is offline   Reply With Quote