User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
I glad you like your bike.

However, the biggest problem with Buell is Harley Davidson and their lack of respect toward their own brand. The dealer network is clearly inferior and how HD Inc treats Buells is nothing short of scandalous. Hopefully, things will improve.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #17
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,202
It depends on where you live. The local HD dealer has a good selection of Buells on the floor and their philosophy is more that it's the fact that you ride, not so much what you ride. Their sales, service, support and over-all attitude that the customer is king sets them at the top of the heap.
These guys even hosted a Winger rallye at the dealership this summer when the original sponsors dropped out at the last minute. In less than an hour, they had a catering service and music in the parking lot.

No doubt that the Buells are still more of a rarity and I think I have the only XT in town at the moment, which is kind of neat.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #18
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Working on my fourth year of ownership I still would not trade the Uly for any bike in this class. After taking a close look at the KTM 990 I have to admit I like it, but not enough to change at this point. Why? If I would it would be for better off-road capability. After several DS outings on more capable equipment like a DR-Z400, I have come to the conclusion that weight is the biggest enemy, not tires. So now I want to keep the Uly which is great on fire roads and easy trails, and get a truer dual sport like the DR for more hardy excursions.

On pavement, I find it hard to believe there is a better bike in this class. Though there are some bikes that may have a slight advantage straight line, no bike in this class is a crotch rocket. That is not the purpose of a bike in the class. An ability to travel off-pavement, touring and two up capability are all tops in this class. At that the Uly excels. The bike was designed for all those abilities but adds a fun factor due to the character of the bike that is hard to match. Add Buell's weight management and handling characteristics and the bike quickly challenges anything in this class and most purer sport machines in the curves.

As far as for pillion accommodations, a lot of thought was put into two up riding when this bike was designed and as much into my purchase decision. The triple tail gives the rider a quick backrest. When not needed the triple tail can be flipped down for a clean look or flipped back as luggage rack. The '07 and later seats are one of the most comfortable pillion seats out there today. Add standard hand rails and the passenger is well cared for. My wife was a novice at riding when I purchased the Uly. My Honda had a backrest but the few times my wife rode with me were short. About 60 miles of riding was all she cared for. The M2 with the Corbin seat improved things. We took a ride in the mountains one day that lasted 180 miles. She loved the ride but had reached her limit. On the Uly, she has had several days past 300 miles and weekends that were over 500 miles. Riding with me has become on of her favorite getaways now. My daughter rides with me and friends and has been on several Harleys, including a Super Glide and Electra Glide. She finds the Uly more comfortable.

After 37,000 mile the bike has never let me down. Though I have put it through its paces the bike still never fails to be a blast to ride. Buells are not for everyone and that is okay by me. The community of Buell riders is an exclusive group because of it allowing a little more personal interface with the company that other companies will never match. To have the factory call my house and next day air a latch at their expense to make sure I could make a multi-state road trip a couple days away is an experience that will never be topped by the likes of BMW, KTM, Ducati, Suzuki or the like.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Thumb Uly on the Speed Channel

Check out the "Quebec" one hour episode on "Trippin on Two Wheels".

Great real world review of the Uly = nice bike !

1LIFE2LIVE screwed with this post 12-21-2008 at 12:24 PM
1LIFE2LIVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #20
phaneuf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
1 life,
Glad you got a chance to watch that. The show doesn't help keep an open mind when bike shopping.
phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #21
Elseanno
Drunk Monkey

Oddometer: 191
Hey guys, just test rode the Uly @ the IMS. I liked it way more than I thought I would. I have some questions:

How much electrical power is available for goodies?
I like my electric jacket. I might want auxillary lighting. I like my autocom, gps & maybe cb.

Is there an after market HID headlight system?
I ride rallies from time to time. Hard to beat HID's in deer country at night.

How's the weather protection when it's cold & wet? Anyone ridden in hard rain?

Anyone ever installed an auxillary gas tank?

Thanks!

Elseanno
Elseanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #22
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elseanno
Hey guys, just test rode the Uly @ the IMS. I liked it way more than I thought I would.
Glad you enjoyed the bike. :)

Quote:
How much electrical power is available for goodies?
I like my electric jacket. I might want auxillary lighting. I like my autocom, gps & maybe cb.
405 Watts for the 08/09. The earlier ones produced more, but had regulator/stator problems, hence the change.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/adv...ifications.asp

Quote:
There is not to my knowledge a system made for the Uly. There are lot's of HID options that will work with the Uly. Here is the current favorite:

http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20023.html

Quote:
How's the weather protection when it's cold & wet? Anyone ridden in hard rain?
It all depends on your gear. :) It's a naked bike with minimal weather protection. If you're not wearing water resistant gear you're going to get soaked.

Quote:
Anyone ever installed an auxillary gas tank?
Yes, there are a couple of options, but I'm not the person to give you the details.
I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
You're a slut. But you're cute, so it's ok. - MayQueen
RedUly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:34 AM   #23
Hangetsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Yes, there are a couple of options, but I'm not the person to give you the details.[/QUOTE]

http://www.tourtank.com/

There is no sweeter set-up out there. It will be on mine on my first x-country haul.
Hangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #24
ratbuell
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Heated jacket and gloves on my '06, and I still show 14v at idle. My '95 Buell handles the clothes, plus a pair of PIAA powersport lights, with no issues. Lights are coming for the Uly...just waiting on a bag-o-money to fall out of the sky, lol. Also remember - 08/09 Ulys come with factory heated grips, standard.

Rain protection is better than you'd think. You rode it, I'm guessing you noticed how your knees tuck in behind the frame pucks. That shaping actually does quite well in the rain as far as keeping your legs dry(ish). Again, no substitute for good gear, but my packable rain suit works just fine in torrential downpours. The handguards are also nice for keeping gloves from drowning :)

My 6'4" frame and I are thinking of adding a Cee Bailey windshield for the cold weather. I just rode for a while in 24 degree weather and 40mph gusts - brisk. Heated liner, heated gloves, outer textile coat, jeans, outer armored pants, balaclava and fullface - not dressed like the Michelin Man, but enough layers to block air leaks. Wasn't too cold, but the wind was really pushing my torso when gusts hit. Torso-push is the most I've noticed as far as protection on the Uly - wet and cold aren't really any worse than other bikes in my experience (except my old FLHP - the fullsize FLH windshield was like being behind a riot shield).
ratbuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #25
Rider2898
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elseanno
Google "Ulysses Deathray" A link to Treadmark's HID conversion should pop up. It's a pretty cool set up.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:46 AM   #26
keith_mahoney42
ubernoob

Oddometer: 49
I bought one of these HID kits. http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Motorcycle..._Kits_s/34.htm
It was more pricey than what others are using but it is name brand components and all plug and play with relay wired in. I am very satisfied with the quality of the kit. Although honestly I can not tell too much difference between it and Silverstar bulbs but I do ride at night with a tinted visor and only had my bike for 3 weeks total before installation. In that time period I went from stock to Silverstar to HID so not a lot of time to rate differences.
keith_mahoney42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #27
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider2898
Google "Ulysses Deathray" A link to Treadmark's HID conversion should pop up. It's a pretty cool set up.
I really love his setup. It looks great and it's BRIGHT.
I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
Old 01-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #28
TREADMARKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
See the light baby

TREADMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #29
danger_dave
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
snip---------->

went for a pootle today with Dave on his...impressive bike.. was in the long grass at the Kumeu showgrounds.. he was up on one and it was spinning....
i'd have one...

<---------------snip
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #30
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

DD, where is the link to the video review you did of the Uly?