User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #31
blueglide88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Buell motor

Why is it I've read more than a few times a Buell owner swear his engine isn't a Harley?

Both Buell and Sporty engines are built on the same production line in the Harley plant in Milwaukee. Note I said Harley plant, not Buell.

Who owns Buell? Is a Chevrolet not a GM?

But hey, if it makes you feel better, you are not riding a Harley.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #32
ed_in_az
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I love these Ulysses thread.

If I can ever afford to add a Dual Sport to my stable the Ulysses will be it.

However I can't imagine parting with my Sportster, so I couldn't trade. It would have to be an addition. While I have done roads labeled as recommended for 4x4s on my Sporty it is too low, too heavy and much happier on pavement. I do love the motor they share. As has been said, the power is very linear, and they make for low maintenance machines. I do my own wrenching, but I prefer to ride and I like not having to worry about breakdowns.

Enjoy those Ulys!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #33
tried-them-all
Old guy who thinks young

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueglide88
Why is it I've read more than a few times a Buell owner swear his engine isn't a Harley?
I'm not ashamed....

tried-them-all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #34
desmo900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:

Both Buell and Sporty engines are built on the same production line in the Harley plant in Milwaukee. Note I said Harley plant, not Buell.

A Chevy Cavalier and a Cadillac both come from GM, but noone would ever confuse one for the other.

I would like it if someone could point out a single part on the Buell motor that is in a Harley

Oh Oh.. I know, they both have 45 deg. cylinders. Your right it is a Harley.

"Every good story has blood, sweat, tears, and joy. Each one is just as important as the other, and if you leave them out of your story, it wont be a whole one." CETME.
desmo900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #35
danger_dave
Home again

Oddometer: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnance
DD, where is the link to the video review you did of the Uly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ma7FsKOxc
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #36
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
A Buell XB air cooled V-2 is an HD motor, but it is not the same as other HD motors. Buell MoCo has pulled HD along on the evolution of the Evolution engine. When Buell started using stock Sporty engines they had 62rwhp. Today they have about 20rwhp more with many design changes along the way. Though as time goes by the Sporty gets the benefits of Buell designs, there are still many differences. Today, the heads on both the Buell and Sporty motors are the same, but they came to HD bikes in 2004 while my 1999 M2 has them. HD calls them Thunderstorm heads, which is a Buell nomenclature. As the story goes HD designers did not believe the present flywheel would work and pushed back when Buell proposed it, too light. The cams on the Buell motors are unique, as are the side covers, intake manifold (down draft versus side draft), throttle bodies, exhaust manifold and more. In the case of the XB9, the connecting rods and displacement are unique to Buell motors, allowing an Evolution motor to reach 7500rpm, a range no other HD push rod motor comes close too. The XBRR 1340cc uses the same stroke as the XB9, with 150 crank HP and capable of over 8000rpm. To call a Buell motor an HD motor is correct, like calling a Corvette motor a GM engine. But to say the GMC Truck 325ci and Corvette 346ci are the same because both are both push-rod V8s would not be correct. Many Chevy fans specify they have a Corvette engine. So too many Buell faithful will state that their XBs have Buell motors.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #37
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
I love my XB12R. Been looking real hard at the new XB12XT.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #38
Hangetsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:

The bottom line is - the Buell motor WORKS and it works beautifully for its intended purpose, as good or better than ANY of its competitors. Who gives a rats ass were the thing is built or by whom. The bonehead who spews "it's bad" simply because of Buell’s shared technology with Harley is simply a man with a bone up his ass and absolutely no sense for logic or reason.

Since buying a Ulysses I have met many Uly and other Buell riders who have up to 40 years riding experience behind them and between them have ridden or owned every make and model you could imagine. They all have different riding experiences and backgrounds, but they all share one thing in common - or at least did after riding a Buell (particularly the Uly). They all got off the Buell wearing the commonly spoken about ear to ear grin and a new appreciation for what fine motorcycles the Buells really are. And a big part of the Buell experience is the Thunderstorm engine. So dudes, ride what you like, but before you badmouth Buell, pull out the bone and back your senseless comments with something other than unencumbered opinion. That's opinion unencumbered by fact, data, or reason.
Hangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #39
Rider2898
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 165
Thumb

Sticket-to-em Hangetsu
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #40
Hangetsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider2898
Sticket-to-em Hangetsu
Yeah, sorry bout that. I don't mind intelligent criticisms about any bike. They all have their strong points and they all have their flaws, but these mindless rants towards a machine simply because it's "a Harley", "old technology", "push rods", etc., really get annoying.
Hangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #41
DeArmey
All right

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangetsu
Who gives a rats ass were the thing is built or by whom.
This is why we are in the mess we are in.

Buell = American Made

Have some pride in what country you give your money to.
DeArmey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #42
blueglide88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tried-them-all
I'm not ashamed....

Now that's what I like to see.

Not sure if some of you other guys looked at my sig. The last thing I'd do is accuse Buell of using old technology. However, to say the technology is Buell, is not entirely correct. A lot of it is basic hot rodding know how that Harley owners have been using long before Buells were even on the road. For example, take a good look at V-Twin Thunder written by Carl McClanahan in 1984. He takes you thru some of his tips and tricks for hopping up big twins and sportsters. Head work, lightening lifters, needle bearings for sportster cams, grinding cams, etc. How fast were his bikes? How about 11.55 125 mph back in 1963? That was on a 66 inch Sportster. In 1969 he ran 9.57 on a 89 inch Sporty. In 1973, he ran a 1/8 mile in 6.18 at 119 mph on a 53 inch Sportster. In 1971, Carl was the first to build wheelie bars for motorcycles. He has set numerous records on his Sporties over the years. You could also look at the XR750 to see where Buell got the idea of de-stroking the 1200 to get the XB9 motor.

So please, hot rodding Sportster motors has been going on long before Buell hit the scene. What Buell did was hot rod a Sportster motor and bring it to a production bike.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/c...p?locale=en_us

blueglide88 screwed with this post 01-20-2009 at 08:56 PM
blueglide88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #43
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Though some truth to state the Buell motors use some old hop up tricks of old, your statement is mostly off. Buell has been challenging HD to improve engine and chassis efficiency for thirty years now. Buell was the catalyst for the V-Rod which was a by-product of Buell's first attempt to a water cooled super-bike. It's more than a coincidence that the original V-rod engine and the new 1125R are only 5cc apart. Buell's push-rod engines use down draft intakes which were made possible by the patented fuel in frame design which allows a large air box to sit where the gas tank on most bike sits. The XB design was actually done by Buell for HD Super-bike racing program in the 1980s. Side draft intakes have been used on HD motors for years which are not as efficient as the down draft. To say Buell just copied old hot-rodders tricks is not paying attention to the details. All you have to do is look at the patents Erik Buell has been granted.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)

Ulyssessix screwed with this post 01-20-2009 at 10:22 PM
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #44
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 970
I don't think blueglide is knocking Buell at all. I think he's just saying that for the motor Buell didn't reinvent the wheel. There is no question that on the overall bike design Buell is a genius.

ulysixs--I'm not sure I understand the comparo between the v-rod motor and 1125. From everything I've read they have no history or shared character other than liquid cooling and 4v/cyl OHC. I think the displacement is mere coincedence. If you have further info on possible kinship between the two I'd love to know more.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #45
Dave Lindhorst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Now that's what I like to see.

Not sure if some of you other guys looked at my sig. The last thing I'd do is accuse Buell of using old technology. However, to say the technology is Buell, is not entirely correct. A lot of it is basic hot rodding know how that Harley owners have been using long before Buells were even on the road. For example, take a good look at V-Twin Thunder written by Carl McClanahan in 1984. He takes you thru some of his tips and tricks for hopping up big twins and sportsters. Head work, lightening lifters, needle bearings for sportster cams, grinding cams, etc. How fast were his bikes? How about 11.55 125 mph back in 1963? That was on a 66 inch Sportster. In 1969 he ran 9.57 on a 89 inch Sporty. In 1973, he ran a 1/8 mile in 6.18 at 119 mph on a 53 inch Sportster. In 1971, Carl was the first to build wheelie bars for motorcycles. He has set numerous records on his Sporties over the years. You could also look at the XR750 to see where Buell got the idea of de-stroking the 1200 to get the XB9 motor.

So please, hot rodding Sportster motors has been going on long before Buell hit the scene. What Buell did was hot rod a Sportster motor and bring it to a production bike.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/c...p?locale=en_us
Hot Rodding may not be new to HD but I can tell you for sure that 66 Cubic inch engine would not last 2000 road miles riden like a Buell is often riden. Yes it was quick but it was also quick to explode unlike the modern Buell engines. You could run the Buell engine a thousand times down the track and still ride it home. No way you could even come close with a 1963 66 Cube hopped up sportser engine. You are comparing apples and dental floss. 2 different things all together

But then again wasn't this about Uly ride reviews. Boy is it easy to get off track if you can forgive the pun.
Dave Lindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote