User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
NJ_Bob OP
Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Anyone uncork a Yamaha TTR-125L?

I bought my son a Yamaha TTR-125L last year and it needs to be uncorked. It needs new jets, the exhaust opened up, airbox opened up, etc.

Any guidance about jet sizes?

Anything else?
Bob Naumann - W5OV - Sachse, TX - K1300GT - IBA #19100
NJ_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Bob
Any guidance about jet sizes?
Go to Thumpertalk.com, they have a TTR forum, this has all been discussed.

There are a LOT of mods available for these. Opening up the plastic cover the airfilter attaches to is a common mod, there are aftermarket pipes, jetting is often changed, very important if its gonna be run hard is a frame cradle/bash plate.

We have a lightly modded one but I didn't do it, I bought it used, so I don't know much about tuning them. Rather, we are in the midst of completing a dual sport conversion (of an L, an LE would have been easier to start with). It was previously street registered & titled in a more tolerant state by a guy with dealer 'connections', and it needs more work to legitimately pass the annual inspections in my state.

-Vincent
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
They come sorta lean, so after poking around at <http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/UBB38> (be sure and check out their TTR FAQ), I knew I needed a 17.5 pilot and wanted to play with the main a bit as well. It comes with a 105 main jet, so I wanted to go up a step at least.

Pilots and mains that small can be sorta hard to find via local shops & such, but it's easy to just order up this jet kit...
<http://www.pro-tecperformance.com/mstt.htm>

It comes with the hard to find 17.5 pilot, two mains (a 107.5 and a 110) and some airbox mod widgets. I tossed in the pilot and the smaller of the two mains and took the snorkel off the airbox. The other main (110) and the rest of the airbox widgets will get tossed on when we get a pipe for the thing, so they're in the spares stash.

$25 and 30 minutes well spent! It fires immediately, warms up in half the time of a stocker and runs a helluva lot better through the woods. Even Jules was tickled pink over the newfound snap. She was like, "Hey thanks!"

Enjoy...
Old 03-17-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
I bought a TTR90 for my daughter last summer. Within a week I installed a full Big Gun system. Big difference in power! The same system is available for your 125. Jetting also makes a huge difference. Have fun!
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
I bought a TTR90 for my daughter last summer. Within a week I installed a full Big Gun system....
Was that you or your daughter that needed that extra HP in the first week?

-Vincent
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

I can't get anything past you guys! A bunch of us get together once a week and race in a paved parking lot on 90's and 110's. The pipe helped me to keep up with the Kawasaki 110's, but because of my antics, I've already replaced the foot pegs and kickstand because I keep grinding them off. My daughter gets upset when I scratch her new bike so the plastic and graphics (Ceet brand) have also been replaced. I've also got a nice scar on my right arm to remind me I'm not a kid any more
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
NJ_Bob OP
Occasional Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
It comes with the hard to find 17.5 pilot, two mains (a 107.5 and a 110) and some airbox mod widgets. I tossed in the pilot and the smaller of the two mains and took the snorkel off the airbox. The other main (110) and the rest of the airbox widgets will get tossed on when we get a pipe for the thing, so they're in the spares stash.

$25 and 30 minutes well spent! It fires immediately, warms up in half the time of a stocker and runs a helluva lot better through the woods. Even Jules was tickled pink over the newfound snap. She was like, "Hey thanks!"

Enjoy...
Thanks - this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I placed my order for one of the kits a few minutes ago.

We bought the bike new last year after looking at numerous used beaters and I decided that I would just get a new one for him and not have to wonder what abuse someone else had given it.

It runs pretty good, but is difficult to start when cold. Hopefully, the more generous jetting will do the trick.

I had searched through Thumpertalk in the past, but always got turned off by the "less adult" participation.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:53 PM   #8
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

We had problems with new TTR's starting hard cold and being cold blooded, even though the jetting wasn't bad for our elevation. Our fix was to richen the choke curcuit by enlargening the passages. Problem fixed.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
Old 03-18-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
NJ_Bob OP
Occasional Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
We had problems with new TTR's starting hard cold and being cold blooded, even though the jetting wasn't bad for our elevation. Our fix was to richen the choke curcuit by enlargening the passages. Problem fixed.
Can you describe what you mean by "enlargening the passages"?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

On the carb casting, inside the float bowl area, there is a passage that allows the choke to introduce fuel into the jet curcuit. This passage is too small, so we drill it out 2 drill bit sizes larger. Sorry my digital camera is down, or I'd get you a picture to make it easier.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
Old 05-11-2004, 05:37 AM   #11
NJ_Bob OP
Occasional Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
They come sorta lean, I knew I needed a 17.5 pilot and wanted to play with the main a bit as well. It comes with a 105 main jet, so I wanted to go up a step at least.

Pilots and mains that small can be sorta hard to find via local shops & such, but it's easy to just order up this jet kit...
<http://www.pro-tecperformance.com/mstt.htm>

Enjoy...
Arch:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I ordered the kit as you recommended, and my son and I spent some "quality time" together over the last several weeks where I let him actually do all the work. We had to stop in order to deal with some school issues, and it sat for a while dissassembled.

Last nght, he (with my help) reassembled the whole thing. The most difficult part was getting the fuel line reconnected to the carb.

With everything bolted back on, he rolled it outside the garage. I told him to turn the gas on, set the choke and hit the button. He did, and it started instantly! This is amazing, as it had not been started in almost 2 months and also there was no fuel in the carb!

It did take a few minutes to warm up enough to cut the choke off, but in contrast to stock condition, we could actually rev it up while the choke was on during warm up. In stock condition, we could not touch the throttle at all until the bike was fully warmed up. Amazing difference.

Well, thanks for making this a great success!!
Old 05-12-2004, 03:39 PM   #12
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
alright ya gotter uncorked, now ya gotta upgrade the frame & suspenders

http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Produc...0-BBR-1002.htm
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #13
Arch
Incurable Gearhead