Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2004, 10:44 AM   #16
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Silver
...Do you even know what a FZ1 is???...
Well, duh, it's a Frank Zappa One, bigger and flashier than a Moon Unit, but not as good lookin'.

Hi Ho, Silver, I'm just messin' wit ya, mang. Like Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote:
Anyway I never ride in big groups because of all of the attention and pain in the rear that it causes. I normally ride with one or two other guys...
Yep. Jeez, this could be me talkin' ! Except all of us are in our dotage.

Quote:
... in the late 70's he said that you could go all weekend and never see another set of bikes. Now it's out of hand due to all of the internet information and Ride Texas posting their greatest roads list etc.
There weren't any gas stations open on Sunday in the 70's, either. Cafes were rare. But so was traffic. I'm not sure how much of the increase in traffic and foolishness can be attributed to information--this region has quadrupled in population since the 70's. That just changes things. And economically, rural cenTex had gotten about as bad as it could get by the late 70's. That said, Ride Texas irritates the hell outta me.

Quote:
I'm just glad that I got lot's of good rides in before the latest BS.
Amen.

Quote:
Believe it or not...the flood in July 2002 was one of the best rides ever...
I think Scary Mc and I were out prowlin' around then...LOTS of water on the highways. We got to watch a brand new Lincoln hit a foot and half of creek at goin' at least 60 mph--he'd been doin' 80. Quite a splash. I thought he was gonna flip. He proceeded towards Sisterdale at a substantally more sedate pace. Up near Grape Creek, the fellas trying to untangle their fence didn't seem to like us out ridin' around while they were dealing with disaster. I offered to give'em a hand, but they just weren't happy that day.

If I were Real County sheriff, I'd be handing out tickets like an insurance salesman hands out calendars. Inasmuch as I'm just an old fart with a crappy bike in Austin, I'll be out speeding in the Hill Country, but trying to keep a low profile. Ah, the Circle of Life.

Oh, back to the bikes...Mack speaks truth, even if he speaks a lot. He sounds just like that when he talks, too. Any of the bikes you're considering will be a blast. Dualsports are incredibly fun and effective commuters. I reckon a lot of it comes down to how each bike feels to you--I mean that in all the senses; ergos, subjective handling, and the emotion you experience on the bike. I've got my KLR workin' pretty well. It's great for the Hill Country, until I need to make time on a big highway. It completely flunks the emotional response test, too. I got it in part because I knew it would not involve me emotionally. I wanted an element of expendability in the bike. Turns out I really do want a bike to turn me on, although I still don't want it to shake like an XR.

Have fun in your search for the Next Bike. If you wanna check out a KLR, gimme a holler.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #17
paulsax
Paul

Oddometer: 50
keep in mind...

One thing worth considering is that some things on bikes are easy to change and some are not. Keep in mind that a bike with quality suspension that is too stiff/soft is better than a bike with iffy but OK feeling suspension. It is super easy to get good suspension revalved/sprung to your satisfaction. The suspension guy I use only charges maybe $90 to $100 for a revalve. That's $200 for custom suspension! Most will work with you with alterations to fine ture for free. This makes such a big difference that I have all my new bikes done and it's cheap in the scheme of things. The trick is to get good suspenders to start with. The WP stuff on new KTM's is great and a good suspension guy can do wonders. A KLR will be another story I suspect. I'd suggest a look at what can be easily done before choosing a bike. My race (x-country/scrambles) bike is a yamaha YZ instead of the WR because the 2000 YZ has 2 shim stacks in the forks and the WR has 1. My suspension is magic and it cost $180 total!

my $0.02

paul
paulsax is offline   Reply With Quote