Thumb Great!

Still entertaining and very interesting... hangin' on for more please

Cheers
Allan
Old 12-29-2008, 03:28 AM   #32
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 214
Cactusreid, the trip took place between 4th December & 10th December 2008. It was during the Muslim Eid Festival so some national holidays are given. Average daytime temps at this time of year are 25 deg C. It was cold in the mornings until the sun made it's way out and cold once it went down, somenights to 5 deg C.

Bowes screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 05:26 AM
Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #33
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

Day 7 Haima to Muscat

Day 7 – Haima to Ibri – Total Distance approx 600km. – ate w:st="on" Year="2008" Day="10" Month="12">December 10th 2008ate>. – would end up being back to Muscat – approaching 1000K.

Today our route would take us throughAd Dhahirah Region which is a semi desert plain which slopes from the southern foot of Al Hajr AI Gharbi Mountains towards the Empty Quarter. It is separated fromA’Dakhliyah Region byAl Kur Mountain to the East; it joins the Empty Quarter from the West and Wusta Region from the south. State ofIbri is distinguished for its unique location which joins the Sultanate with other areas in the Arabian Peninsula.

The boys were out of bed early. Haima salubrious guest house offered no brekkie so it was straight out to the bikes. Ubar still gets my vote for accommodation; Hamia guesthouse just offered more scum at a higher rate. Bikers hoping that their steeds would start as it was blinking cold. We did ask the night before, if we could put the bikes in side but Mr Gupta the establishment manager was having none of it…..I think he said no ‘cos there was less ming on the bikes than inside that place. Sheet sleeping bags a definite must if you stay here, that is if you don’t want to sleep with what previous guests have left behind unknowingly on the beds over time. Uuugh Bud Lightyear Sheet Sleeping Bag, my hero and savior again from the smeggy beds.

Bikers desperately hoping, not for a repeat of Ubar starting problems, chokes fully out, fingers crossed, start buttons pushed and we were rewarded with the thump, thump and grunty raw of un-silenced Hondas. We headed straight over the road to tank up. As the pettie gushed in to the tanks the bikers were mortified, clean fuel, gawd! hope it does not turn the color of my tank from perfectly acceptable biker red to a gay pink! We had no tank curtains with us so pink was not an acceptable outcome for the bikers. As the seconds passed, our angst was proven ill founded, fully tanked up bike tanks revealed to the casual eye, a perfectly acceptable Acerbis neutral color.

Bikes fuelled we set about securing biker fuel. Nearby restaurant served up, very speedily and delicious Eeeeeeeeeeeeg Sanweeeeeeeeches with the necessary addition of Hot Sauce which makes all the difference to this culinary delight! We washed the food down with hot sugary tea.

Fuel would not be available to us for around 450k, myself and Alan would be fine with the big tanks, we’d have to help Jerry out though because he only had 16L. So we had to improvise. See below.

The petty pump attendant stood in awe as we emptied out perfectly good water and asked him to fill said containers with go go juice. These were strapped to the bikes on the forks as you’ll see from above, the remainder carried in my back pack. Just to bust a myth for anyone who is out there wondering - Just because petrol floats on water, it is not a great deal lighter.

Of we goes. A short stretch of blacktop then on to graded roads. All fast easy riding, the challenge would be the remoteness and isolation of the route. Just past Bahja, puncture number one for Jerry, in the back end this time. No bother we dived in and fixed it. Off we goes again. Soon into the wondrous dunes.

The nothingness around us.....

A couple more punctures in the back end. Jerry was quite rightly having a bit of a sense of humor failure. He was unhappy with the constant stopping and disturbance to the ride for me and Alan. We told him, no bother, we are all staying together and we’ll get through it.

I'm gonna post this and try again, internet speed dropped like a stone again
Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #34
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

Day 7 Continuing Hopefully......

When asked about where we’d be riding speaking to people here in Oman, I was deliberately vague about this stretch. Cars are often allowed to pass by on this route unhindered but bikes are definitely not liked by the border guards, when we are so close to the KSA Border. Bikes are the modern day smugglers, choice of camel. Again heebie jeebies were dancing round in my head as I did not want to be stopped by a border guard. We would have to go thru a check point shortly. Depending on the wind direction, or whether they’d had a good brekkie, the Border Patrol boys could either let the run continue or stop it and send us back.

Some of the stuff we were looking at as we rode thru remoteness...

Awesome shot taken in this area

We arrived at said check point, nobody challenged us, no encouragement needed, loads of throttle to get us in to the distance asap. Please don’t have a puncture now Jerry!!!

Gravel road was kept clean from the ever moving dunes by probably a large gang of Indian guest workers. The riding was not challenging. The challenge was in the remoteness of it all. Reward for the challenge was beautiful dune scenery.

Even with all the stops for puncture repairs, we’d made good time and we popped out at Yibal at around 14:30hrs. Thankfully Yibal petrol stations was open, red fuel again – happy days. Bikers we all starving, a brief survey of the bike condition also gave us some concerns. Strategy was to head for Fahud around 40k, get some scram, evaluate the bikes and make a decision on the remainder of the route.

So we make it to Fahud. Scram wolfed down, we looked the bikes over. Mine and Alan’s back tyres were totally shot after well over 3000k’s of abuse. Only the heavy duty tubes keeping the puncture fairies at bay, we both felt we’d been really lucky not to have had punctures the last 500k or so. Jerry’s front tyre was crumbling, knobbles dropping off it as it’s been stored in a hot environment and not ridden for two years. Jerry’s back tyre was in great nick, why was it proving to be a prolific puncture factory? Jerry’s chain was also on the back adjusters and was like knicker elastic, all over the place, chewing the nobbles of the inside of the back tyre. We didn’t have a split link for the chain, only the heavier 520 chains. Aside from that I must say Jerry’s bike had done nearly 3000k of hard terrain, faultlessly with no preparation which was remarkable.

We had two options, chance Ibra (200k) and then another 200k over Snake Gorge the following day. Snake Gorge offered no challenge for riding as it’s something we’d all done before. Lady Luck had not been good to us so far, she must have had a bad dose of migraine or PMT or summat.

So we opted to hump the 330k from Fahud back to Muscat. Logic being, whatever happened, we’d be able to get someone (wifey) in a car to bring us whatever we needed. WE WERE ALL GOING TO FINISH THIS……. RIDING IN….. NOT ON A TRAILER, COME HELL OR HIGH WATER – Hell we could deal with but high water could be a problem as the ride back would take us in between mountains through Waddies. So no high water please!

So at 16:15hrs we leave, hoping to be back in Muscat at 21:00hrs latest. As the light faded I took up point duty. I looked behind often but obviously not often enough as I lost Alan and Jerry – not far from Fanja. 3 punctures later we were reunited. It was the right decision to blacktop it. While waiting at Fanja I learnt that all cars had angered the puncture fairies, so were holed up safe with some inner tube repairs, planning to limp back tomorrow. The bikers re-united we slowly rode the 100k or so back in to Muscat with Jerry on point so he could be clearly observed. By this time I think I had only the good spare tube left. I think I made it home at about 22:45hrs, an extremely happy, self fulfilled dirty biker! 3,500K’s of real adventure into the bargain.

So thanks to the Lap of Oman for Mary 2008 Gang…….
Jerry, Alan, it was a real pleasure to ride with you both; I hope you enjoy the write up!

Grumpy and kids – Thank you!

Sayer Family – Thankyou!

Uncle Bob pictured here with his favorite passenger Carmen! – Thank you!

Not done yet...back shortly....

Old 12-29-2008, 04:11 AM   #35
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

The final trip posting....

The last picture. It all got so disjointed on the last day with all the problems a team welcome at our place did not happen on arrival back in Muscat as we all didn’t arrive back in Muscat together.

Below is a pic from 2003, of Mary and My Wife Angela. Angela did the job of looking after mum for the last 3 months, along with the rest of the family. Happier times back in 2003, before she got to ill, she visited us in Germany. A favourite pic of mine....

If you’ve enjoyed the story then if you’d like to give a little you can do it at:

http://donateinmemory.cancerresearchuk.org/pp_3920/Mary_Bowes.aspx

Unfortunately, there are many needy charities, pick one of your own and do something that makes a difference. It’s the giving, not the amount that makes the difference.

Lap of Oman for Mary 2008, is something I’ll remember forever. I’m glad I’ve done it now, because in twelve months time they’ll be something that’s changed, more blacktops, Waddi’s dammed, travel restrictions in areas near borders.

Riding the lap, particularly through the Empty Quarter put a lid on things for me with Mum’s passing, but in a positive way. I’ve seen and experienced things that most people will only read about.

Thanks to all readers who’ve given encouragement along the way, it is very much appreciated, I hope over time, more readers will explore what still is today a little known country through our adventure. What I didn’t realize is that writin would take nearly as long as the ridin – or maybe I’m just a slow writer.

Follow us it’s easy!

As they say in this part of the world.......Ma as- Sulaamah

That's all folks.......THE END!

Bowes screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 05:32 AM
Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #36
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 673
wonderful! Thanks for this.
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #37
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,282
Great ride, I can really relate to that report. I'd love to ride in the Oman Empty Quarter.

600 km in a day is a hell of a run, you must have been shafted. How heavy going is the route?

This is the Saudi sand btw:

and the Al Dhana dunes, which run like a spine from the Rub al Khali in the south to the one in the North I can't remember. An easy bit here:

Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #38
richeyroo
34L King of bikes !

Oddometer: 112
Happy days

Great trip guys, I'm very envious, thanks for posting, it brings back very happy memories

I worked in Oman from 1996 till 2000 working (such as it was) on the Sultans Yacht - happy days.

I shipped my XTZ750 out there and did thousands of miles on my own all over the country and experienced nothing but great hospitality. Once, I crashed the XTZ big time on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere wearing just a Tshirt and jeans - a passing Omani stopped to see what help I needed because my bike was trashed. They said they would be back so I sat bleeding by the side of the road for 3 hours and the LandCruiser returned. The Dad had dropped his family off, unscrewed 2 rows of seats out the LC and picked the bike up himself. Slung it in the back of the LC, I bled all over his seats, and he drove me 300km back to Muscat. No fee, no nothing, he was just happy to help

Oman is a brilliant, awesome, wonderful, amazing country, full of brilliant, awesome, wonderful, amazing people. I hope it manages to stay that way.

Thanks for posting
richeyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #39
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

King Bongo, the bikers didn't need any help to sleep at night after 600K, but we were ok, some days we did a lot more. As to the terrain in the empty quarter it was relativley easy. Looking at the ariel maps though then you'd only have to go a couple of K's further North where things would be very different, big dunes, slipfaces to negotiate.

Temperature is a major factor of how much is possible in a day also. A summer ride of 200K in 40+ with humidity can be nmuch harder than a 600K stretch in the winter at 25dec C.

I think what's great about riding in Oman is you have desert, waddi's mountains a bit of everything.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #40
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyroo
Great trip guys, I'm very envious, thanks for posting, it brings back very happy memories

I worked in Oman from 1996 till 2000 working (such as it was) on the Sultans Yacht - happy days.

I shipped my XTZ750 out there and did thousands of miles on my own all over the country and experienced nothing but great hospitality. Once, I crashed the XTZ big time on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere wearing just a Tshirt and jeans - a passing Omani stopped to see what help I needed because my bike was trashed. They said they would be back so I sat bleeding by the side of the road for 3 hours and the LandCruiser returned. The Dad had dropped his family off, unscrewed 2 rows of seats out the LC and picked the bike up himself. Slung it in the back of the LC, I bled all over his seats, and he drove me 300km back to Muscat. No fee, no nothing, he was just happy to help

Oman is a brilliant, awesome, wonderful, amazing country, full of brilliant, awesome, wonderful, amazing people. I hope it manages to stay that way.

Thanks for posting
Richyroo, glad you enjoyed it. Oman is changing at a frantic pace. People are generally freindly, today though they'll want a couple of hundred rials to help yer out. That's what we were asked for. With the rise in tourism I suppose the little guy wants a slice of the cake - can't blame him. Still a great country to see - really glad I saw a lot of it before it changes some more.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #41
Bowes OP
Oman Dirty Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrider
wonderful! Thanks for this.
Thanks yerself for the encouragement
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #42
kjames
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
great trip report.... I'm working on the missus for a pink pass to do a similar trip.

I may pester you for a few way points.

your mam would be proud.
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #43
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
great adventure and cool pics ....

hope to get my ass down there sometime soon !!!!
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #44
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Vicks
great adventure and cool pics ....

hope to get my ass down there sometime soon !!!!
Vikram

Hows the KTM holding up Vik?

We have to have a run out your way sometime before it gets too hot..
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #45
Smackit
Life Is Good

Oddometer: 296
That was awesome, thanks for the great writing and pictures!

Cheers!
ChinaV
Smackit is offline   Reply With Quote