User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2004, 03:20 PM   #1
Doug Grosjean OP
Writer, Photographer, Dad

Oddometer: 281
Suzuki DR-350 Owners..?

I'm starting the process of putting my 1993 DR-350 (street-legal kickstart-only model) back on the road, after having been stored in a barn for about 4 years.

No troubles, no request for help.... the bike seems to have compression, so I may get lucky and it'll fire right up after 300-400 kicks. If not, I'll check compression and go from there. I may end having to spend some money and buy some parts, which it deserves - it already has 42,000 miles on it. But I've owned it since new, so I know the kind of care it's had, and what it's like to ride. It's in decent shape mechanically, as far as I know, and cosmetically it's OK for a dirtbike.

Plan is to ride it for awhile, show my SO what dirbikes are like, and if she enjoys the experience we'll purchase a KTM-950 Adventure. If she doesn't, I'll solo to Colorado next summer on the DR and explore ghost towns for a couple weeks by myself. All my SO's miles have been on the back of streetbikes, including riding pillion to Bike Week from Ohio in February, and Ohio-Arizona in July, but she's game and looking forward to cruisiing through the Michigan woods.

So my question is: how many others here ride DR-350s? Any problems I should watch out for with such high mileage?

I'm asking, but somehow I've got a hunch that nobody here has kept one this long, or put this many miles on it...

Oh, and will keep the Kawasaki Concours. It's paid for too, and is reasonable cheap to run for a big bike.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
douggrosjean@wcnet.org
Doug Grosjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
motojoe
Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Grosjean
I'm starting the process of putting my 1993 DR-350 (street-legal kickstart-only model) back on the road, after having been stored in a barn for about 4 years.

No troubles, no request for help.... the bike seems to have compression, so I may get lucky and it'll fire right up after 300-400 kicks. If not, I'll check compression and go from there. I may end having to spend some money and buy some parts, which it deserves - it already has 42,000 miles on it. But I've owned it since new, so I know the kind of care it's had, and what it's like to ride. It's in decent shape mechanically, as far as I know, and cosmetically it's OK for a dirtbike.

Plan is to ride it for awhile, show my SO what dirbikes are like, and if she enjoys the experience we'll purchase a KTM-950 Adventure. If she doesn't, I'll solo to Colorado next summer on the DR and explore ghost towns for a couple weeks by myself. All my SO's miles have been on the back of streetbikes, including riding pillion to Bike Week from Ohio in February, and Ohio-Arizona in July, but she's game and looking forward to cruisiing through the Michigan woods.

So my question is: how many others here ride DR-350s? Any problems I should watch out for with such high mileage?

I'm asking, but somehow I've got a hunch that nobody here has kept one this long, or put this many miles on it...

Oh, and will keep the Kawasaki Concours. It's paid for too, and is reasonable cheap to run for a big bike.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio
douggrosjean@wcnet.org
I ride a 1991 DR350S a 2001 concours and a 1997 KLR650
The dr350S only has about ten thousand miles, but its been really reliable, but hard to start. You could try a bit of ether to help start it.

Good luck with your kicking and keep us posted what happens to get it going

joe
motojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
I had a 1990 model DR250 (basically the same as a 350) that I sold with approximatley 80,000k's on it. Apart from top end rebuilds at 40,000 and 75,000 the bike never gave me any problems and being my first bike and only form of transport for quite a while it copped a flogging. The second rebuild revealed a cracked head but I think that was due to the crap fuel that we had at the time causing it to run lean.

The only area that is probably worth looking at is the bolt on the gear selector behind the clutch. Apparently a few 250's and 350's were found to have loose bolts which if not tightened caused false neutrals and eventually worked their way out until they obstructed the clutch basket (with obvious results). Luckily I had heard about the problem when my bike started picking up a couple of false neutrals (between 4 & 5th mainly) so I popped the cover off, tightened up the loose bolt and never had a problem with it. If your bike starts missing gears it may be worth a look.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
donesian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Talking Dr 350

Doug,

I have a 1993 DR350S (kick start only) with about 5100 miles on it. I have the little 3 amp battery in it so I installed a headlight off switch. That way when I am fussing around starting it or riding off road I can kill the headlight. By the way, plenty of juice to both run the headlight as well as an Aerostich electric vest, on the street. I have 6 bikes, which is why I don't ride it real often. A great machine, though. After you get the hang of it 2-3 kicks will fire her up. Have fun.
donesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Doug, I think there are some DR350 experts at http://www.maximum-suzuki.com

Also check with Jesse Kientz at http://www.kientech.com
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:19 AM   #6
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,265
like mentioned here , they dont like old gas, I use a shot of ether to get it going in the beginning of the season ( with zero prep over the winter, its lucky if I drain the carb) once thats done mine fires right up 2-3 cold kicks. I donnt ride mine as much now as i have 7 bikes.

i flogged the shit out of mine as a dirt bike, ghosted it off a 25 ft drop in California with no damage..
(mine is 93 DRS350) not sure the mles as the speedo odo were in a box when I bought it . worn out a clutch , sprocket & chain. tough as hell bikes, light compared to electric DR400S ( yeah lacking power and E start)

yours is the high miler I have heard of. I rode with a girlfriend on back , not comfortable for her as cramped leg position (small lady) .
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Jeebers, Doug....you've ridden a DR 350 42,000 miles and you're askin' if there is anything to look out for...... you could probably write the book on it!

As has been mentioned in another post, seems like top ends are the main thing that require attention. Is camshaft carried in a bearing or does it ride in aluminum head, like Hondas? Other than that, rusty mufflers, headset bearings, sagging springs, etc.

I say
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:21 PM   #8
Mountain Goat
Wandering Bike Dude

Oddometer: 205
Have a 1996 DR350se

Mine is electric start so no starting problems. It is a fantastic little bike and very reliable.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #9
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
The ZOOK

I had a 1993 DR-350. The oil pump failed and without an "idiot light" to tell me things were getting critically HOT, I cooked the top end. I was wary of this happening again but, the dealer said "Well its like... Does lightning strike twice?"
A small fortune later it was rebuilt with the White Brothers 445 bore. Not long after this, "Lightning struck" AGAIN--- all within 16,000 miles. I went out and bought a 1995 KTM LC4 620 and never looked back. Some time after this I was riding my KTM home after service and the "idiot light" came on. I stopped and checked the oil and, found that the mechanic had certainly DRAINED the oil but,
had neglected to FILL the oil!! Its amazing the catastrophic problems that can be avoided with a simple Temperature idiot light.
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote